The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The requirement for loot drops

Bigalmou29
Bigalmou29
Soul Shriven
(This is my first post. Sorry if anything is out of place)

So I've heard a rumor once or twice about gear in dungeons and the drop rate. Basically its a dps race, that only the highest dps, or those that deal "enough" dps, get loot/the best loot.

I bring this up because I've heard this several times and a healer I ran a group with was mentioning it. I didn't press the issue, but he mentioned it right after a boss kill and I got the impression that he didn't get anything from the boss.

This seems like a crude system; in a serious fight, healers (I would think) don't have time to be blasting heals AND trying to nuke the bosses/trash. Tanks by default do less damage than an actual dps.

Is loot/better loot really tied to who does the most damage and/or if a player does enough damage? Or is it a universal game of chance like I assumed it was (ie everyone has the same oppurtunity for phat lootz)?

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey. Welcome to the forum. :)

It isn't exactly like this. If you are within 5 levels of the enemies, everyone should get loot. Outside these 5 levels is where it gets tricky. If you're overleveled, you don't get any loot at all (doesn't apply to veteran levels). If you're underleveled, you need to contribute sufficient damage to receive XP and loot - healing also counts, but at a lower rate. I don't know what the threshold is (8-10% for damage?), but I remember it used to not work as intended (healers had to do at least one hit at the boss), so maybe it's still wonky. I can't say, I usually run with a group at level.
    Edited by Rosveen on March 9, 2015 11:56PM
  • asneakybanana
    asneakybanana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In group dungeons and trials everyone in the party has the same percent chance to get the loot drop however, in public dungeons and open world bosses only the top damage blocker, top 3 healers, and top 8 dps get the loot (or something like that). In my experience it seems that the higher dps the player does the lower chance they have of getting a drop xD but its probably just a coincidence. Hopefully that helps.
    Asneakybanana AD DK Former emperor of Chrysamere and Chillrend. World first hardmode Hel'ra and Quake con winner (Alliance rank 25)
    Asneakyhabenero EP DK Former emperor of Thornblade, Haderus. World first vMA Dk clear (Alliance rank 39)
    Asneakycucumber EP Sorc Former empress of Blackwater Bay and Trueflame (Alliance rank 32)
    Asneakypineapple EP Temp Former empress of Azuras Star and Haderus (Alliance rank 22)
    Asneakypickle EP NB Former empress of Trueflame (Alliance rank 47)
    Sweat Squad
    Crowned 27x on 12 different campaign cycles | 200M+ AP earned
    Fastest AA clear ever: 5:42 | Fastest HRC clear ever: 5:27 | NA first HM MoL
    609k Mag Sorc vMA
    NA first Tick Tock Tormentor
    NA first trinity (All No Death/HM/Speed run trials titles)
    2x Tick Tock Tormentor
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Hey. Welcome to the forum. :)

It isn't exactly like this. If you are within 5 levels of the enemies, everyone should get loot. Outside these 5 levels is where it gets tricky. If you're overleveled, you don't get any loot at all (doesn't apply to veteran levels). If you're underleveled, you need to contribute sufficient damage to receive XP and loot - healing also counts, but at a lower rate. I don't know what the threshold is (8-10% for damage?), but I remember it used to not work as intended (healers had to do at least one hit at the boss), so maybe it's still wonky. I can't say, I usually run with a group at level.
    OP, @Rosveen , healing 'contribution' is basically 2:1 for what damage dealers have to do.

This is usually not an issue, as damage is usually coming in. Keep HoTs up and you're likely good.

Tanks will want to keep Ult coming via heals or Light Attacks to get some damage in there too.

Use to be the healer had least odds. Now it's the designated punching bag.

Regarding Monster Helm drops, there does feel like the more you do, the better the odds, but more likely, it's completely random.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • mrvbalc
    mrvbalc
    ✭✭✭
    as far as i know there is no difference in the chance of getting any loot from bosses among grp members,
    967qe6gfe8s7.png
    Balc
    As always Dragon of the Dominion