The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Block not working immediately after weapon swap?

ThatNeonZebraAgain
ThatNeonZebraAgain
✭✭✭✭✭
So I was doing some dueling in Cyrodiil, and noticed that there appears to be a "lock out" for block immediately after weapon swapping. Your character still does the block animation, but hits go through unmitigated (this was especially noticeable against Wrecking Blow because of its knockback effect). This happens if you are holding block and weapon swapping, or if you start blocking right after the swap. Either way, there is about a 2 second window (hard to calculate exactly) beginning once you swap where your block doesn't work even though your character is performing the block animation. If I had to hazard a guess, it seems like the weapon swap cooldown is also not allowing blocking during that short timeframe. There was no server lag happening, and when I asked people about it in-game they said they had also noticed it, so I wanted to post it here to see what other people have observed.
Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on March 31, 2015 2:34PM
Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
Wayra High Elf Sorceress
Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • Mantic0r3
    Mantic0r3
    ✭✭✭
    you do not block while weapon swapping, anything after you have finished is due to lag :(
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure it was lag since all our abilities and combat were happening very smoothly (we were on a low pop server). I was able to reproduce it to where I was standing there holding block (with enough stamina) right after swapping and the Wrecking Blows were going right through it.
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • Mantic0r3
    Mantic0r3
    ✭✭✭
    mmmh when you are sure that you were done with the swap then im out of ideas, seem to work just fine for me
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I'm the only one to ever notice this?
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • Swarog
    Swarog
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose I have the same issue even on PvE. I have to switch panels every few seconds due to just five abilities on each panel. I saw as boss does no mitigated damage to me after switch. Visually I'm holding the block continously but no luck, I've recieved unmitigated damage some times.
    $ Welcome to the new trade guild The Wolves. Our trader located in Wayrest. Join us! Send me mail or /tell to @swarog.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    same if you role dodge. it's dumb.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was this around before 1.6? I feel like you used to be able to hold block while weapon swapping and not miss a beat. I play a tank in PvE so it seems like I would have noticed this before (I haven't tanked much since 1.6).
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭