The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Keyboard movement versus thumb stick movement, which is better?

Carol
Carol
Soul Shriven
I've seen several of Deltia's videos where he uses keyboard movement extremely well and can't help wondering if it is actually better? At the moment I use a Logitech G13 with thumbstick, but I need a major redo of my keybinds to make things work better as the way I have things now feels clumsy. So I thought I'd ask for opinions:

Which is better for movement while in combat: Thumbstick on G13 (similar to naga or controller) or default keyboard keys ?

Thanks

p.s. any other keybinding advice would be great. :)
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know which is better, but keyboard certainly is good enough, seeing as almost everyone uses it. Why don't you try both and choose whatever you feel more comfortable with?
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carol wrote: »
    Which is better for movement while in combat:
    Whichever works better for you?

At the end of the day it depends on whether your chosen method is VIABLE and doesn't handicap you, or in group content, your group. If the method you use keeps you alive, gets you out of the 'red nasty' before you take damage and can make you face a particular direction when using direction-oriented skills then that's the 'best' for you. :)
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on March 30, 2015 6:54AM
  • Cinna
    Cinna
    ✭✭✭
    I am a keen user of Logitech g13 but never found the thumbstick that great. For me the stick is bound to f1 - f4 which I use to choose potions (addon). Movement keys I have in the middle of the pad in the style of ASDZ of normal keyboard. thumb buttons are dodge and jump. Love it.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny enough I mapped sneak to middle button, weapon swap to scroll-right, dodge-roll to scroll-left.
    Helped me a great deal reaction wise...once you get used to it.

Greatest problem I have is with movement keys+ ability keys at the same time with the left hand.
    I have the keyboard stuck on my lap at the moment and its amazing how easy it is to miskey lol.
    [so need a desk back]

Anyway it become so much of a problem I reinvented the whole combat skill system so you dont have to do finger gymnastics.
    After 2.0 though...I think ZOS would go on strike if I mentioned it
    :d

Actually had a dream of using two mice at the same time the other night :/ Need to get out more.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on March 30, 2015 3:41PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a controller and it works great for me (not to mention much more comfortable). Double tapping the joystick for dodging is shotty, but I think that goes for the keyboard as well. I ended up just binding a key for dodge instead.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for opening up an old wound. Thumbstick would be perfect for me, but thrice-accursed Logitech have still yet to attempt to produce a left-handed version for these many long years. DAMN YOU SIR!
    *shakes fist*
    Edited by MorHawk on March 30, 2015 3:43PM
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MorHawk wrote: »
    Thanks for opening up an old wound. Thumbstick would be perfect for me, but thrice-accursed Logitech have still yet to attempt to produce a left-handed version for these many long years. DAMN YOU SIR!
    *shakes fist*

Hmm, I'm on Mac using "xpadder" software and a xbox controller. I can map any keyboard key to any function on the controller. I'm assuming you could map the w,a,s,d keys to the right joystick no problem. The only difference being that your digital up,down,left,right keys on the controller would need to actually function as your x,y,a.b buttons and vice versa (if that makes sense). I can see how this is unfavorable but all in all still possible : :/
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuyler wrote: »
    *shakes fist*

Hmm, I'm on Mac using "xpadder" software and a xbox controller. I can map any keyboard key to any function on the controller. I'm assuming you could map the w,a,s,d keys to the right joystick no problem. The only difference being that your digital up,down,left,right keys on the controller would need to actually function as your x,y,a.b buttons and vice versa (if that makes sense). I can see how this is unfavorable but all in all still possible : :/

It...doesn't matter what you map. The thumbstick is on the right of the device. Us lefties use our main hand for the mouse, so we need a gamepad with the stick on the *left*. Find me one of those, and I will genuinely, in all sincerity, send you money.
    I can count to potato.
    WWJLHD?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find my thumbs cramp when using a controller. I also get better movement from a keyboard than a mouse.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SmalltalkJava
    SmalltalkJava
    ✭✭✭
    I used a nostromo n54 when I played daoc. I should get it out for eso.
  • SublimedNine
    *shakes fist*

It...doesn't matter what you map. The thumbstick is on the right of the device. Us lefties use our main hand for the mouse, so we need a gamepad with the stick on the *left*. Find me one of those, and I will genuinely, in all sincerity, send you money.

An Xbox controller has both left & right thumbsticks so should be OK for left-handed users & as said above the D-pad on the left could be used instead of the x,y,a,b buttons.
    This is not as good as a dedicated left-handed controller I agree but it would be possible to do.

I'm using an Xbox controller & Xpadder on PC & finding it much easier for movement/combat but I'm still using mouse/keyboard in the menus.
    Edited by SublimedNine on April 3, 2015 10:59AM
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *shakes fist*

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=left+handed+xbox+controller&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=yYUeVYusGIqGOqDggYgG&gws_rd=ssl
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *shakes fist*

An Xbox controller has both left & right thumbsticks so should be OK for left-handed users & as said above the D-pad on the left could be used instead of the x,y,a,b buttons.
    This is not as good as a dedicated left-handed controller I agree but it would be possible to do.

I'm using an Xbox controller & Xpadder on PC & finding it much easier for movement/combat but I'm still using mouse/keyboard in the menus.
    Rune_Relic wrote: »

Thanks guys, but a controller would prevent me from using the mouse. I did try that, but limited buttons and the comparative lack of accuracy when aiming kinda shut it down.
    Guess I kind of asked for that using the word "gamepad". What I need is something like the logitech g13, with the thumbstick on the left. Thanks again though!
    Edited by MorHawk on April 5, 2015 12:09PM
    I can count to potato.
    WWJLHD?