Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Baits for fishing

kreuzkopfeb17_ESO
I see a lot of questions for fishing bait. Using the right bait can significantly increase the probability of catching rare fish. Fishing in the group also affects positively.

Ocean
Bait: Worms, Chub
Fish: Dhufish, Longfin, Minnow

Lake
Bait: Guts, Minnow
Fish: Spadetail, Silverside Perch, Shad

River
Bait: Insect Parts, Shad
Fish: Salmon, River Betty, Fish Roe

Foul Water
Bait: Crawlers, Fish Roe
Fish: Slaughterfish, Trodh, Chub
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just what use do fish have? I love fishing in other games, the fish can be good food sources and fishing can get you useful items, in ESO it simply seems to help fill scarce inventory slots.
  • kreuzkopfeb17_ESO
    Written by: Apple.Snowsong

"Fishing in ESO is not only fun, it is a Skill that benefits you socially, benefits your other professions (such as crafting potions in Alchemy and cooking in provisioning), can help you get rare surprises and special achievements. Further, every time you catch a fish you will also gain experience that increases your proficiency in the fishing skill. As you practice and progress you will get quicker and better at fishing and your rewards will get better too as you improve, like in other crafting professions. "

I don't know much is true, but do not exclude the possibility that this is true.
  • Terminus
    Terminus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is a Skill that benefits you socially, benefits your other professions (such as crafting potions in Alchemy and cooking in provisioning)...

I don't know much is true, but do not exclude the possibility that this is true.

Fishing provides absolutely no use to other crafting professions,
    and it being a social skill is rather subjective to who you do it with.

It's more for completionists looking for achievements right now,
    but I have a feeling that fishing will be important when more recipes are released in the future.
    Best get a head start on practicing!
  • kreuzkopfeb17_ESO
    I agree with you. The developers of this game have provided quite a lot. I hope in the future fishing will be developed and refined better.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a wet sack that had 2 yellow Kota runes in it. That classifies as a "rare surprise" in my book. Have also caught several rare fish working toward getting some achievements. I do wish we could cook them, and that they'd fix the issue with rare fish not going to your inventory.
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • kreuzkopfeb17_ESO
    You are really lucky.
  • maryriv
    maryriv
    ✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Just what use do fish have? I love fishing in other games, the fish can be good food sources and fishing can get you useful items, in ESO it simply seems to help fill scarce inventory slots.

Very little, lets hope they get added to different legendary v14 recipes are something, at the moment there's not much reason to fish.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are recipes that use fish.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice Necro post from a year ago.

You can "clean" fish now by dbl or rt clicking on the raw fish. They become "fish" mats for provisioning.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow, nice Necro post from a year ago.

You can "clean" fish now by dbl or rt clicking on the raw fish. They become "fish" mats for provisioning.

^^This, plus fishing achievements, plus some crafting mats. If you want to know more about fishing go here.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • maryriv
    maryriv
    ✭✭✭✭
    But those recipes are junk.
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maryriv wrote: »
    But those recipes are junk.

That's subjective.
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    wow... posts seems to get revived with always a year pause.. :D

maybe we should add which furniture stuff you can get in which water type here as well..
    PC-EU @lientier
  • TraumaHawk
    TraumaHawk
    ✭✭
    wait a minute fishing is a skill line? also what speacial suprises can you get? also whats the best addon to use for fishing
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fishing isn't a skill line, but filleting your common fish will give you the provisioning mat "fish" (as if you needed more) and has a small chance to give you "Perfect Roe" which is a rare (and valuable) provisioning mat as its used for the experience potions. If you get caught on a wet gunny sack it can have anything from junk to kutas in it as noted above. And, It can also give you various house furnishings as alluded to by @lientier
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TraumaHawk wrote: »
    wait a minute fishing is a skill line? also what speacial suprises can you get? also whats the best addon to use for fishing

Best Add-ons for fishing:

Rare Fish Tracker - to keep track of progress on the top fishing achievement, Master Angler

Votan's Fisherman - - fishing becomes easier with a "lure in" notification and adds a colored pin to your map showing the type of water/bait once you have caught something in that particular fishing spot.

Votan's Fish Fillet - for filleting stacks of fish with fewer key presses
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best bait is the master bait, aquired through the story allowing you to easily catch the legendary pokemon defeat the PvF element of the game.
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    Votan's Fisherman - - fishing becomes easier with a "lure in" notification and adds a colored pin to your map showing the type of water/bait once you have caught something in that particular fishing spot.

this one never seemed to work for me. the rest is great though.
    PC-EU @lientier