Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Newcomer looking for help, questions, players to join with.

Remantique
Remantique
Soul Shriven
I played ESO when it first came out and then stopped playing for a long time, I only got to level 7 and still don't know much about this game. I'm an avid player of the TES series, having modded skyrim heavily and played oblivion a ton so i'm not new to the TES series. I've decided to get back into ESO now it's F2P but it would be nice to join other players who are new to this game (like completely don't even know how to use the interface new lol) and play with others and maybe eventually join a guild ^^ It's been a long time since i've played an MMO (probably since FF14 ARR when it was free).

What would you recommend a newcomer start off with in terms of story and exploring? What things should I look out for like crafting for weapons/armour or levelling in a specific way... It would be nice to play with someone who's literally started themselves or a group of people. Send me a pm if you're able to meet up in game! I'm usually around in evenings and weekends.

I'm going to keep track of this discussion so if I have any other questions I can write here rather than spamming the boards.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    f7dd1db77a2ebdd2e232f623f0177dcb.jpg

Which faction do you call home?

What type of character are you looking to play?

There are several guilds out there, in each faction, that are devoted to easing the transition new players face.

If you're a Dominion player, shoot me a PM and I'll help with what I can.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Remantique
    Remantique
    Soul Shriven
    I think the faction is night blade? Excuse if I should stupid because i'm literally looking up loads of guides on things now lol I'm a wood elf and i'm looking to play as an archer who's stealthy, medium-light armour. I probably choose nightblade at the time because of this.

I take it you can't change factions once you've started the game? Is it so that the players you play with are only the ones in your factions? In other words, the factions act as different servers in which you can only play with people in your faction.

Another question Ii remember bugged me. In Skyrim you would heal yourself with potions or switch to healing. In this I think it's a bit more difficult. Potions are harder to come by since you have like no money in this game, do you have to use alchemy alot to make them? I just looked in skills and I have 'Solvent Proficiency', allows me to use water to make level 3 ptions, can I use this to make healing potions? I remember before i'd have to switch to a healing staff everytime i wanted to heal and it was a pain, in battle I kept dying due to this.
  • Remantique
    Remantique
    Soul Shriven
    Actually I think my faction is Ebonheart
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remantique wrote: »
    Actually I think my faction is Ebonheart
    Yes. Your "Class" is "Nightblade".

Every class has a healing perk it's just some cost more and take a lot of skill before you can get them, and are probelmatic in use. You want the siphon class skills to heal (which are pretty direct and need an enemy) and potions for small healing boosts.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Remantique
    Remantique
    Soul Shriven
    Alright i'll try siphon, is there anyone in my faction who wants to join me?
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remantique wrote: »
    Potions are harder to come by since you have like no money in this game, do you have to use alchemy alot to make them? I just looked in skills and I have 'Solvent Proficiency', allows me to use water to make level 3 ptions, can I use this to make healing potions? I remember before i'd have to switch to a healing staff everytime i wanted to heal and it was a pain, in battle I kept dying due to this.
    Potions drop as loot from mobs fairly frequently, so once you've played a bit you should be able to keep yourself supplied with potions just from that if you don't want to get into alchemy or buy your potions.

If you do want to try making your own potions, you start off with 1 rank in Solvent Proficiency, which, as you've noted, allows you to make level 3 potions. To make a potion you need a solvent (water - different types of water for different levels of potion), and 2 or 3 reagents (plants that you find around the world and harvest). You find out what potion properties reagents can provide by trying different combinations of reagents - when you use 2 that share a property, you discover that property for both of them and successfully make a potion. You can get a full tutorial on this process once you hit level 6 by going to a town (the first town you wake up in after the initial tutorial in Coldharbour) and doing an alchemy crafting certification quest (there are quests for all 6 of the crafts, and I think it's worthwhile to do all of the certification quests).

This isn't specifically in reply to anything you've asked, but if you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you go and do the questlines on the starter islands before exploring your first main zone. If you're Ebonheart Pact the starter island is Bleakrock Isle and there should be a quest giver outside the home that you wake up in who will direct you to the docks, and the boat that will take you there. Completing the quests on Bleakrock Isle (and Bal Foyen - the next starter zone that the Bleakrock Isle questline leads you to) will teach you a lot about how to play the game, and should level you up to roughly level 8. This will leave you in a good position to explore Stonefalls.

Oh, and what server are you on? NA or EU?
    Edited by UrQuan on April 1, 2015 10:38PM
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you play when I do and my play time is limited and split between 8 characters (Doing consumable writs on all of them and then doing a quest). My EP characters are L10, L20 and VR2 so we're not likely to even phase together.

In truth though, at L1-50 you really don't need any aid except against Land-bosses and in forced solo quests (where it won't happen). It's the fall down of this game IMHO, the Guild and Social Tools are rubbish, the phasing quickly pushes characters apart and players don't need aid to complete much at all.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Remantique
    Remantique
    Soul Shriven
    I'm on european server! Thanks for the advice guys! I want to play with others but this game does encourage you to play alone. It might push me back towards FF14 tbh, i'm give it a chance though but with mmos i look for social interaction. If i want an elder scrolls single player great game ill continue with skyrim. Anyone on european ebonheart server?
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey hey @Remantique Allow me to share my video-guide for new players. I've gathered some TIPs hoping this would provide a nice help to start ESO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc-emx4RZk0

I do not know any guild for the Ebonheart Pact, but you simply might want to check out this thread and see if there is any guild that would fit your need
    Edited by Elloa on April 4, 2015 10:20AM
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your stuff is great Elloa.

• Remantique
    Remantique
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks guys, your video doesn't work Elloa!
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look up "Elloa" on youtube. She does a monthly ESO video blog :D

• Vil
    Vil
    ✭✭✭
    Just curious how this is going, are you still playing ESO Remantique?
    I really like ESO in some ways. Rich lore, atmospheric, immersive, but in other ways it's somewhat linear, reptitive and it doesn't encourage social interaction. But I believe ESO has some great potential and it's my go-to mmorpg on the market right now.

I've played many mmorpgs, my favorite being SWG, where there were loads of activites besides "questing" or doing combat.

Anyhow. If you're still playing, send me a PM! Level difference doesn't matter in Cyrodiil, if you don't mind it being a PVP zone we could run some quests there if you like.

In the end, it's important finding a suitable guild, that does events and socializes, maybe RP's and gets creative.
    Edited by Vil on April 14, 2015 1:40PM
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Remantique ... if you are EU then your best bet to hook up with some great players is to connect with @Elloa. She has a great Twitch stream also.

Also search through the forum posts here, specifically the player guides and you can check out deltiasgaming.com. He has a ton of build info. and more.

Best of luck in your adventures in Nirn!
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    ~a mature gaming community~
    Website
    DISCORD
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elloa wrote: »
    Hey hey @Remantique Allow me to share my video-guide for new players. I've gathered some TIPs hoping this would provide a nice help to start ESO.
    -snip-

Interesting video and mostly good tips. The only one I would disagree with is #1. I understand the concept of experiencing the game "as designed" but to unilaterally dismiss ALL addons is going too far IMHO.

There are many aspects of the ESO UI that are, to put it bluntly, klunky, cumbersome and frustrating. Addons can go a long way towards improving this situation and steering newbies away from all addons is setting them up to suffer unnecessarily IMHO.

There are many addons which improve the "UI experience" without changing the "game experience" in any major ways,
    Advanced Filters, AI Research Grid, Sous Chef and Harvens Quest Journal to name just a few.