The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[Q] How do I test my ping/latency ingame?

flylociousb16_ESO
flylociousb16_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone.

In every other MMO (actually - maybe every other game that requires an online connection) I've played, there's always a little "counter" somewhere in the UI that tells you your ping/latency in milliseconds. But I can't seem to find this option/counter anywhere in ESO, and this is really sad.. At least if you've got an unstable connection. I'm currently on holiday where the network is terrible (ADSL connection, 2mbits down, haven't even dared to check the upload speed) - and it seems to me that the ping varies A LOT.
Therefore, it would be lovely to have such an option/counter built-in. I haven't seen any addon supporting this feature. Is there any way to check your ping in-game? If not, is there any way to check the ping ANYWHERE? Out-game or In-game...

I'm getting quite frustrated not knowing if it's 50ms latency, 100ms latency or 1000ms latency.

Quick edit: Did some quick searches and found out there's probably no way to do this ingame as they haven't put any possibility of ping-testing in their API. But.... Why not? Are they afraid to show of the ping? It's usually available in any other game that requires an online connection
Edited by flylociousb16_ESO on July 31, 2014 3:45PM
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have only found the Frames counter. But yeah I wish I knew that too.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a way to suss out the IP address of the Server see this

With windows:
    start game than collapse it to taskbar (Atl Tab)
    press start, type in search box cmd , enter to run it (this brings up the CLI or DOS window)
    type: netstat -n -p tcp -b | more
    The Vertical line or Pipe before the word More is Shift Backslash.
    find the IP that is used for the Bethesda Connection
    then type ping [ip from above] to get your ping response

I believe the IP for the NA server is 198.20.198.110 but you can verify that with the above commands in the DOS Window.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• flylociousb16_ESO
    flylociousb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Nestor wrote: »
    Words.

I'll try that, thanks.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll try that, thanks.

There is also a way to use the Performance Monitor to check this, I found this here in a post by @‌Sinhalis

•press Ctrl+Shift+Escape to open the task-manager, then open the Performance Tab and click the Resource Monitor-button
    •In the Resource Monitor, open the Network-tab, then tick ESO.exe
    •Click TCP Connections below, and read the number written under Latency (ms)

I am old school, so I use the DOS Command window, but this might be easier to chew on for most folks who are not used to the innards of TCP/IP. It would be interesting to see if the results by both methods give the same numbers. Well, they won't be exactly the same but they should be within 20% of each other most of the time.

Edited by Nestor on July 31, 2014 4:11PM

• flylociousb16_ESO
    flylociousb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven

I'll try that, thanks.
    Second method.

It worked really well! The resource manager gives a nice look on the current latency. Thanks a lot!
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's the consensus on what it should be? The latency in Peformance Monitor.

Mine runs 80-100ms.
    Edited by LariahHunding on July 31, 2014 6:42PM
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• flylociousb16_ESO
    flylociousb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven

Mine runs 80-100ms.

As said in the original post, I'm currently on holiday where there's only a terrible ADSL connection with only 2 mbits download, and 0.25 mbits upload speed.
    But, I managed to get it down to 100ms as the lowest, and I'm yet to try it at home (in Denmark, with a much faster connection).

It feels "clean" (no stuttering because of latency) while at 100ms, but as soon is surpasses 150-200, it becomes slightly annoying. I've managed to play with up to 690MS latency before it got totally unplayable :)..
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine runs 80-100ms.

Cable Modems typically have a 40 to 60 Ms Ping Response back to the CMTS (the router in the Head End that controls the modem) so if your hitting 80 to 100 Ms to the server going across the Internet, that is pretty good. Your not going to see much better unless this is late at night or early in the morning. And, even then it will drop to the 70 to 90 Ms range.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It feels "clean" (no stuttering because of latency) while at 100ms, but as soon is surpasses 150-200, it becomes slightly annoying. I've managed to play with up to 690MS latency before it got totally unplayable :)..

Pretty much what I see from customers who have issues. Once Ping responses are in the 150 to 200 Ms range, then gaming performance will suffer. It starts to get unplayable over 200Ms in Shooters and twitch games.

Also, bad ping responses are rarely a server issue, it is Internet Congestion or ISP congestion. You can get a reality check by pinging 8.8.8.8 from the Command Prompt window (CMD from the Run or Search box) and comparing it to the pings your getting from the game servers. If 8.8.8.8 is showing bad pings too, then call your ISP or find something else to do for a couple of hours.

Edited by Nestor on July 31, 2014 8:12PM

• flylociousb16_ESO
    flylociousb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven

Pretty much what I see from customers who have issues. Once Ping responses are in the 150 to 200 Ms range, then gaming performance will suffer. It starts to get unplayable over 200Ms in Shooters and twitch games.

Also, bad ping responses are rarely a server issue, it is Internet Congestion or ISP congestion. You can get a reality check by pinging 8.8.8.8 from the Command Prompt window (CMD from the Run or Search box) and comparing it to the pings your getting from the game servers. If 8.8.8.8 is showing bad pings too, then call your ISP or find something else to do for a couple of hours.

Getting 70-80MS from the 8.8.8.8, so it's seems quite similar :). The worst thing is that we're multiple users on this cr*ppy connection which is probably why the latency varies so much.
    I'm grateful for the help! Thanks a lot man.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting 70-80MS from the 8.8.8.8, so it's seems quite similar :). The worst thing is that we're multiple users on this cr*ppy connection which is probably why the latency varies so much.
    I'm grateful for the help! Thanks a lot man.

Ahh, then investigate your router. The most popular router in the world seems to be the WRT54G by Linksys/Cisco. It can not handle more than one person using it at a time. There are also other routers that have this issue with Simoutaneous Connections too. Fortunately, there are many routers out there for less than $100 that can handle the bandwidth and multiple Connections.

Use the router charts here to pick out something you can afford, you can usually look in the middle to upper middle of the pack. The best performing units are really suited to small businesses and not gamers/home users. Look at Simultaneous Connections and Total Throughput for metrics. Note, units are usually good at both of these.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view

Buy these at Amazon or Newegg as most local stores do not have a great selection. Don't know the European version of these places, but I am sure folks over there do :)

Edited by Nestor on July 31, 2014 8:21PM

• shazzzles
    shazzzles
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks, I wondered how to do this!
    PS I'm getting 379 ms from Perth AU to the Euro Server :/
    Edited by shazzzles on April 1, 2015 6:09AM
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shazzzles wrote: »
    Thanks, I wondered how to do this!
    PS I'm getting 379 ms from Perth AU to the Euro Server :/

This thread is from July. There is already an option in the settings to show the latency.