The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)

Kessra
Kessra
✭✭✭
Hi there,

in all MMOs I've played so far there have always been some phishing attacks or other ways to gain access to accounts. As 2FA is currently state of the art I was wondering if there are any plans to include it in ESO. Here the freely accessible Google Authenticator could be used to scan a QR-Code which is assigned to your account to generate unique tokens for every login or for logins that expire after a certain amount of time (a month or so).

If there is already a 2FA implementation available please point me to the location where to set it up as I can't find it in my account settings.
  • Sylveria_Relden
    Sylveria_Relden
    ✭✭✭✭
    +1 to this. Using a system such as Google Authenticator (and not some battery-powered item you have to buy and replace later) would be even more of a plus.

Signed.
    TL;DR - If you got this far without reading the entire post you're either too lazy or suck at reading comprehension and probably don't belong in a public forum anyway. Just move along, you wouldn't understand.
  • Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is no Hardware authenticator like Mobile app or usb key, but your connection to ESO services (website & game) are geolocalized and if the IP doesn't match to something "correct" (your ISP region IP range), you need to validate your access by a code sent by mail.
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am happy being able to log into the game without jumping through hoops.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need your fingerprints and retina scan and DNA scan in order to enter the game.
    And then we'll call your mum to ask her permission.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ayantir wrote: »
    There is no Hardware authenticator like Mobile app or usb key, but your connection to ESO services (website & game) are geolocalized and if the IP doesn't match to something "correct" (your ISP region IP range), you need to validate your access by a code sent by mail.

This is enough authentication for the game.
  • winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO
    Isn't there already 2fa? You have to enter an emailed code every time you log in at a new machine..? Doesn't help for friends places or internet cafe's.. but enough to keep out anyone who's got your account?
  • Ravalox
    Ravalox
    ✭✭✭✭
    FYI: I went to Jamaica for 8 days (work related, so no, it wasn't that fun). While there I was able to login to all three of my accounts for 3-4 days before the security system caught it and prompted me to check my email.

Then after getting back to Texas, the same thing occurred, and I was able to login to all three accounts. This was 4 weeks ago and I still have not been prompted for code entry on two of the three accounts, though I can log into them all.

The current security setup is not great, and their aggregate link to Sendlabs drops emails every so often as well. (proved it through sniffer traces and with some help from customer service by changing my email on one account between two different alias' on the same mail server on the same account. one was failing to be sent at all, then the new one came through perfectly .... on the same mail server.

A true 2FA solution should be used as they are only currently increasing their network traffic and costs using the current system. I would love to meet with their management and network folks to help sort this out.

@ZOS_GinaBruno , call me if you want to discuss. :-)
    Ravalox Darkshire
    Developer of Wykkyd ESO AddOns and Ravalox' AddOns
    Co-Founder Brotherhood of Redemption ESO Branch
    Brotherhood of Redemption (A DC faction guild) http://eso.borguild.com *Always accepting worldwide applications for the PC NA server*

A proud member of The Psijic Order - 0.016%
  • Kessra
    Kessra
    ✭✭✭
    As Ravalox mentioned, there are good reasons why 2FA is currently state of the art and IP-based lockout isn't that optimal. Furthermore, spoofing the IP isn't that hard ...

And for those claiming they already have to enter enough passwords (really?) - 2FA is always an option, no one forces you to activate it - although it should be of interest to everybody.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as 2FA is always optional then I see no valid argument against it, though personally I never use them and would never do so, far too much of a PITA for systems like this where forum logins need to use it as well.

• Threemoons
    Threemoons
    ✭✭✭
    BUMP. I would really like an authenticator for ESO Online; choice of which one to use (like Google's or LastPass) would be fantastic.
    Playing on PC/NA---UserID=Threemoons--usually on nights, weekends
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We are closing this thread as it is four years old. You can start a new thread if no recent ones exist. The Elder Scrolls Online uses a One-Time Password system for both logging into the game itself, as well as logging into the account webpage at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/. For more details please see the help article below.

Is there an authenticator device or app for The Elder Scrolls Online?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.