The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Roots, Stuns and Rage

Miszou
Miszou
✭✭✭✭✭
Dear God, when will game developers realize how annoying it is to include roots and stuns that can't be dodged? I can only imagine what PvP is like with this silliness in it. At least the PvE mobs don't give me much trouble, but it really is annoying as Hell to be stopped in your tracks and watch helplessly as you get beat on for a couple of seconds. Smack the mouse buttons a bunch of times, and you might get up if you're lucky.

Rule #1 of game design - never take control away from the player.

Still, good game is good. I just don't care for being stunned (or worse, stunlocked), especially in vet dungeons where you can't dodge it and can't survive it either. That's just cheap.

Now... back to the game. B)
  • nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can roll dodge out of roots and break free from stuns....

Game simply require you to be alert and ready to react and punish you if you aee lazy or cannot manage your resources.
    Options
  • rileynotzb14_ESO
    rileynotzb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Game simply require you to be alert and ready to react and punish you if you aee lazy or cannot manage your resources.

What he said.
    Options
  • Miszou
    Miszou
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I'm aware of this.

But the fact is, that some stuns cannot be dodged. I've seen them coming, rolled out of the way and and watched the damn thing track me and stun me anyway.

I'm not complaining about my lack of skill, I'm just suggesting that one of these days it would be nice to have a game without these mechanics in it. Especially PvP, which usually just boils down to who can get the first stun, then unload the largest damage while the other person can't fight back. I don't mind getting beat, but when I can't move and get a beatdown... that's when I ragequit. :)
    Options
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭

Or have high ping...
    Sh'ira - One Eyed Tihm - Do'Mazar - Dar'Sol - Hazzahn - J'darr Sun-Arrow - Bishabi -J'manna - Narim Tollana - Abijah-Ra - Idhassi-Ko - Kajhe the Salty - Ti'lani - Sabhan-Dar - Palamai
    JakhajayAlt: Azala-Do - Saahni the Ohmes - S'aolla of the Darks - Zashima-La Ako'Zhajiit - Lo'Mai-Dro - Taheh-Do - Hrrula - Hatamira - Da'lai

Shield Anvil - Trake's Talons
    Knight Praefect - Knights of the Steel Claw

All Khajiit, All the time!
    For Elsweyr and her people!
    Options
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not always, in PvP there is a bug where you can't dodge out of roots for some time or you get perma rooted. If there's no bug then yes CC isn't a problem.
    Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
    Options
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree (but I'm a PvE player only). There are too many enemies stunning my characters where I can't rolldodge out anymore or use any skills, I just have to wait until the effect disappears. It's annoying as hell to hack and slash my keyboard through the desk down to the floor just to find out that this is "one of these" stuns again..

That this happens more often now, I've noticed around that time where certain enemies/monsters where made immune to CC effects (f.e. we can't knockback Watchers or Trolls etc. anymore), maybe it was even in the same update, I don't know anymore. I mean, it's not like all enemies are stunlocking (lockstunning?) the player now, but it'd be enough if they'd just stun where we can break out.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

Options
  • asteldian
    asteldian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, never had a stun I cannot break out of. Course most stuns are entirely prevented by blocking too
    Options
  • Nysticc
    Nysticc
    ✭✭✭
    Talons grab you mid roll and so does Wrecking Blow.
    Options
  • sigsergv
    sigsergv
    ✭✭✭✭
    In Craglorn there is a some kind of root that Iron Orcs throw, and I cannot roll out of it sometimes. And I see a lot of players are unable too. Also it's impossible to break them casting it because you are surrounded by mobs and can't reach that one who's casting it. It's slightly annoying (in terms of release notes).
    Options
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miszou wrote: »

Yes, I'm aware of this.

But the fact is, that some stuns cannot be dodged. I've seen them coming, rolled out of the way and and watched the damn thing track me and stun me anyway.

That is evidence that you're doing it wrong.

Wrong: Dodge, then when dodge completes, see the stun "track you and stun you anyway"
    Right: Wait.... wait some more.... keep waiting.... OMG the stun is literally 1 pixel away from me!! DODGE NOW. Ta da! Not stunned.
    Options
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvE you can at least see when something is about to stun you. Animations are easy to spot, just block, bash or dodge roll reactively. Can stun the NPC before they get their skill of to.

If you have trouble in actual PvE, I suspect you have really bad performance. That or using default keybinds. Pressing both mouse keys or double tapping, is way less responsive, for some for reason. Need to re-assign break free and dodge to specific single keys that's easy to hit quick. Than you need the game to run smoothly, but we cant really do much about that ourselves.

Still way better than in PvP, where the cc is a nightmare. Main cc counters where both nerfed in 1.6.5. Impossible to reactively block or dodge all cc in battles with many players. You just cant see what's going on in every angle, while many attacks are ranged, from hidden or further away LoS spots. I'm often cc'ed every 10-15 sec or so. When I'm not cc'ed I'm rooted, of course. It's definitely makes PvP less enjoyable.
    Options
  • Nivzruo_ESO
    Nivzruo_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, if a cry frag & destro reach hit you while mounted, you char will get knocked off and stand there with a full stam bar but you are still stunned for 3 seconds or so and can't do *** about it.
    Nelgyntc- V14 NB
    Options