The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please revise battle leveling

Joy_Division
Joy_Division
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I think I can speak for most Cyrodiil vets when I say the influx of new players running around at level 15 or so has really exposed just how bad battle leveling is. I understand there is Backwater Blade, but not everyone wants to play there and does not somehow make the problem go away. The fundamental problem is that someone who is battle-leveled is just has a large health pool and has zero chance to compete against someone who knows what he / she is doing.

My observations:
  • Battle level just gives like 32K health and 17k Stamina and 17K magicka. Players who tailor their builds to magicka or stamina (i.e. just about everyone who understands the current game's mechanics) are deriving little benefit. The total of 34k in stamina and magicka should not be divided equally, rather proportionally to the character's statistics (e.g. If i have 10 magicka and 5k stamina I should be battle leveled to 23k magicka and 11k stamina). Though I am not sure why the health is so high. Most veteran players in Cyordiil "lose" like 10K health when going from level 49 to VR1.
  • Whatever honest thought went into the battle level algorithm done in 2013 is now obsolete as the game mechanics, gear, and meta have changed. People who are battle leveled are incapable of doing little more than scratching a VR14 and will quickly melt when attacked by a high level player. More stuff like spell/weapon power and resistances are needed. The disparity was pretty wide when the players were VR10, people had far less experience, and stuff like Willow's Path was considered an elite set.
  • Consider giving Veteran rank players under 6 the option to battle level (maybe make their battle leveling a little better to reflect their status as veteran players). Back in May, a VR1 could legitimately compete even if likely lose to a VR10. The same cannot be said for a VR1 and a VR14 now.

Of course, no amount of battle leveling should put a lower level character in a superior position to someone who is naturally higher ranked. Nor should their artificial gear or inflated stats be better than what players have earned by actually doing the game's content. I remember what is what like when I was level 29 and had to face a VR6 or VR7 or something and it was pretty discouraging. This was back in May. Now that the highest ranked players are VR14s, with much better gear and much more experience, I can imagine how frustrating these new players are feeling when they are insta-wiped whenever we just happen to show up. We want these players to enjoy their Cyrodiil experience and at least be able to compete against us.

Edited by Joy_Division on March 30, 2015 3:28PM
  • k2blader
    k2blader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of hear what you're saying but at least nonvets have access to blackwater. The battle leveling is by no means perfect, but it should be based on the nonvet campaign, not vet campaigns. Also, I think there's still a hefty power gap between VR14s and most vet chars below VR12-ish. It's not just an experience gap, which is probably the biggest issue, but also a gear gap. I'm not talking about people who already have a couple VR14s and are working on a new one- talking about folks whose *mains* are vets below VR14. Ideally there'd be a separate bracket campaign for those lower vet levels for a little more even playing field. As it is, were forced to play in the same campaigns as those who've been honing their skills & gear at max level since last summer.
    Disabling the grass may improve performance.