The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Played in beta, wondering if I should bother playing this game.

Arago
Arago
So I was a Psijic Order tester for this game for about 6-7 months before the beta weekends started and I got busy with real life, but I enjoyed the game for what it was. I thought the alliance war looked pretty cool and could be something everyone could enjoy and the thought of getting to explore all of Tamriel in better graphics would be cool as well. So I am thinking of coming back for the new patch because I think B2p will change the game for the better since it has done a lot of good for other games as well but I am worried and maybe some veteran members of the community can assuage my fears a bit.

1. How active is the PvP in this game now a days, I know there were problems at launch with population caps and lag, and from the little bit of looking around on the forums I see a lot of people complaining that PvP is dead in this game and to not bother with playing it all because of either lag problems or zerging problems, is this true? I will mostly be playing solo until I find a guild or group that suites me but is PvP really dead and or dying in this game?

2. I am also quite curious on the state of class balance in this game, since when I played and beta and when I kept up with the game a bit after launch I heard that a lot of classes were pigeonholed into mandatory builds because either medium and heavy armor were useless or everyone used a staff because it was OP. Is it still true today or has class balanced been adjusted a bit so that I can do what I find fun?

3. Currently how is the endgame and is it populated enough with enough players for new players to break into the scene if they want to experience all the content the game has to offer? I remember in beta a lot of people complained about the "mandatory" grind up the VR levels and that turned a lot of people off. But I also here they are now adding something like the Paragon system from Diablo 3 which intrigues me quite a bit since I do like carrot on a stick progression that makes me feel invested in my chosen character, but how do other people feel about this system as a whole and how will it effect the game later on?

4. Have they added any new "styles" of gear that are either drops or obtainable in game since the early days of beta, I remember Daedric looking pretty cool but I figured they are going to reserve cool cosmetic stuff for whatever cash shop they are adding in the B2P version but I thought I would ask anyway.

5. What does the overall health of this game look like today and how do you guys think that 1.6 will change it for the better or worse. I have read some of the patch notes and I have to say that they intrigued me enough to dig up my old beta account info and start asking questions, so thanks to anyone ahead of time that answers these questions and maybe I will see you around in game.

PS: Daggerfall for life =D
Edited by Arago on February 11, 2015 8:27PM
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. PVP seems quite active. The main campaigns are full at prime-time.
    2. Class balance is changing a lot with 1.6 and @ZOS still has a lot of work to do to balance abilities that are very strong in PVP but weak in PVE or the opposite.
    3. The endgame is good, especially if you've been away for so long. We're expecting a big gap until the console release stabilizes though, without anything new until June-September-Winter 2015.
    4. There are advanced styles like Daedric, Ancient Elf or Dwemer that allow quite many customization options. There are also costumes in the cash shop now, so nobody really knows how that's going to evolve in if we'll get new designs in the future as part of the "free" content.
    5. It looks promising but some changes weren't for the best and the update is far from ready to go live.

PS: The Covenant will prevail.
    Wololo.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arago wrote: »

4. Have they added any new "styles" of gear that are either drops or obtainable in game since the early days of beta, I remember Daedric looking pretty cool but I figured they are going to reserve cool cosmetic stuff for whatever cash shop they are adding in the B2P version but I thought I would ask anyway.

Not styles per say, the Dye System is new. This can make your armor look completely different than stock. The first set of armor that I have not dyed is my L46 Imperial Light Armor as it looks good stock.

Costumes are new as part of the Crown Store, that comes in 1.6

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No PVP is not healthy . Go to Alliance War forums and read for your self . So many people have left its in critical condition . I would not recommend this game for at least another 8 months honestly as a consumer . Possibly some of the games major problems could be addressed in that time frame . I would wait if you are not just a die hard fan of the setting . I wish I was able to honestly say the game is doing well .
  • ArnoTerranova
    ArnoTerranova
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

I played in Beta for the next six months, and I can tell you, the game was largely improved in every aspects.
    Bugs didnt bother me much in Beta, but I can't find any in the present version.
    The "Paragon-like" system from Diablo 3 is greatly done, and I feel it will helps players can really personalize their character.
    The good thing in TESO is that you can play any role with all classes, and this Champion system just support this idea.
    If you like the atmosphere of TES games, do not hesitate anymore :)

Fatty White-Claw (lvl 50+) heal trial pve
    Koros Bone-Shield (lvl 50+) tank trial pve
    Koros Lust (lvl 50+) dps pve, pvp
    Seiri (lvl 50+) dps pve
    Wildfire (lvl 50+) dps pvp
    EU-PC - Playing since April 2014. (beta)
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you subscribe when they closed Beta and then "released" the game paying to play? If you did and then cancelled subscription, you can play if you want to or ignore it. It's up to you now that it's B2P.

#Edit: What I mean is you can install, play, decide whether it's worth your time and then walk or play more regularly. You can even check back several months later, if you decide to walk, if you think it might have added something of interest.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on March 26, 2015 10:23PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread