The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What determines the level of crafting writ?

Razzak
Razzak
✭✭✭✭✭
I have lvl 39 crafter. He's been doing crafting writs since their introduction and at the beginning I usually got either greater glyph or strong glyph to craft.
Last two weeks or so I keep getting only requests for strong glyph. I managed to level my enchanting from 35 to 45 during that time, but still I keep getting only writs for strong glyph. I know they redesigned writs so they would not make you visit areas that are above your level, but that means I will never get to craft anything stronger than strong glyphs for writs, unless I level my crafting char.
Is this true? Is the level of our char that determines the level of writs we get?
  • kungmoo
    kungmoo
    ✭✭✭
    unless im mistaken, its based on how many points you have spent in the first talent of your craft... Potency Improvement for enchanting, Metalworking for blacksmithing etc.

At least on my main, with maxed BS he gets top tier ones, and his alchemy which is lvl 50 but no points spent in it, he gets bottom tier writs.

Something else to note, since you cant do VR content yet it may be limiting what you need until you get to VR1 and can go to the VR areas.
    Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them. -Edward W. Howe
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @astal360b14_ESO‌ is correct,it's based on the skill points you have in the proficiency of the craft. It was based on the level of the craft originally (don't remember ifin live or in PTS), but was fixed.

I have lvl 48 in smithing from deconning items,but have no points in it. I get lvl 1 (iron) smithing writs. When I had a few points in ww I got mid-tier writs, then one day I dumped a bunch of points into it and my next writ was nightwood.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to both for answering, but I think you might be wrong. I have all my passives in enchanting, except hireling and keen eye, maxed (aspect 4/4, potency 9/9).
    That's another thing that interests me with enchanting. I filled all those enchanting passives at lvl 45. What do I gain by leveling it to 50, when I can create Vet 10-14 gyphs now, at lvl 45?
    Edited by Razzak on December 13, 2014 7:34AM
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is my enchanter bugged somehow or am I missing something?
    Lvl 39 char, lvl 46 enchanting with passives (aspect and potency) maxed and I am still getting only requests for strong glyphs. Why?
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Razzak wrote: »
    What do I gain by leveling it to 50, when I can create Vet 10-14 gyphs now, at lvl 45?
    Achievement for maxing out the profession.
    Lvl 39 char, lvl 46 enchanting with passives (aspect and potency) maxed and I am still getting only requests for strong glyphs. Why?
    Non-vet characters can't get veteran writs.
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    What do I gain by leveling it to 50, when I can create Vet 10-14 gyphs now, at lvl 45?

Thank you. So it is based on my char lvl.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, not exactly. Only in vet/non-vet case. But your level 12 char can still get a writ for Strong glyphs if their Enchanting is high enough.

• Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, not exactly. Only in vet/non-vet case. But your level 12 char can still get a writ for Strong glyphs if their Enchanting is high enough.

Yes, that's what I thought. Thanks :)
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a huge problem because the destination for your crafted goods is someplace you cannot go if you have a low level character and a high level crafter.

It's a flaw in the quest logic. It's a bug.
    Edited by bellanca6561n on December 15, 2014 3:53PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a huge problem because the destination for your crafted goods is someplace you cannot go if you have a low level character and a high level crafter.

They should have fixed this so that you drop off items in an area that is appropriate to your character level even if you are crafting above that level.

I did notice that a high level crafter (VR6) with a low level crafting skill was sent to a leveling zone for dropping off the stuff I made.

Edited by Nestor on December 15, 2014 6:13PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can go almost anywhere with any level of character.

I have 2 low level crafters delivering to Coldharbour. They can go anywhere there is a road but you need a lift to Coldharbour.

My son pulled one for me and the other I just asked in zone chat and some nice person grouped with me and went to Coldharbour. You should carry goodies for a reward but mine asked nothing, I gave her 10 Consummate Sweetroll for her high level character.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    For precisions sake, Your Potency perk level is what controls the level of writ and, by corollary, delivery location. The level of Potency Rune is always controlled by this until both your Level and Perk are past L40 whereupon the level can differentiate between a high and low level of strong+ Glyphs/Runes.

This means that at L1 Potency, the delivery point is in Region 1, at L2, it is in Region 2, etc.

Poodlemaster16 is right though, you can make it to the end of the early regions by dint of movement. In EP I snuck characters past the fort blocking the Stonefalls pass to get into The Rift, for instance.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Azzerhodenub17_ESO
    Well, I have level 35 in Clothing, and just got a writ for making Superb items. I cannot even train the skill to make until level 40 in clothing.

Maybe it was fixed, but it's broken now. My character level is VR1.