Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Confused on gear progression

Electroflux
Electroflux
✭✭
Hello, level 11 sorcerer here. I'm having issues with the gear progression in this game. I'm not sure how to keep my armor staying relevant. As far as I can tell, I can only craft like the same gear over and over, just 2 levels higher. Granted it's sort of helping, nothing is really enchanted or up to par with what I think it should be.

My destruction staff I was using for awhile ran out of charge and I'm not sure how to find gems, nor did I think it was worth it to recharge it anyway since it was outdated compared to just standard staves. So i just researched with it. My gear has been quite odd. I'm wearing a heavy helmet because it just was considerably better although i'd like to keep myself all light for the time being until i get into the game deeper.

What do you recommend to do to keep the gear progression going? this game doesn't seem to have a very coherent direction and I feel like i'm behind. on top of that, my gear is hideous. I can't stand looking at it. I look like a freaking barbarian with a skirt....high elves standard cloth gear is quite hideous. if there's a way to make myself look more appealing, i'd go that route as well.

• Electroflux
    Electroflux
    ✭✭
    not sure how to edit, but forgot to mention that literally every quest i've completed, it's gave me irrelevant gear like heavy and rarely medium but barely do i ever see light armor from quests. most of the gear has been over my level as well so i wonder if i'm underleveled.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Armour: You can adjust the level up or down using the -/+ buttons next to the material, so it should never have to be more than one level below your character level.

Don't bother charging white gear unless you out in the field, instead replace the enchantment. Both options of enchantment and charging can be accessed by right clicking the item. Soul gems are RNG drops or purchases from Mystics but they're expensive compared to replacement enchantments

You should probably wear hide or iron chest armour, for increased resistence, but most armour looks meh early on. Everyone complains about RNG drops :). Update the level of your gear by collecting the materials as you go and crafting new gear every even level if you are worried about defense.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Sejadis
    Sejadis
    ✭✭
    u will find enchantments quite often from mobs
    wearing a heavy helmet isnt that bad - i would recommend to wear 5 slots of your favourite gear ( in this case light) and 1 heavy 1 medium to progress in those skill-lines

and with level 11 u cant have really outdated gear ( even when the numbers suggest)
    with my nightblade 30+ im having no problems leveling with half the gear around 18 ;)

always research as much as u can ... u can craft items with those traits u researched for that specific item
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if there's a way to make myself look more appealing, i'd go that route as well.
    Use a costume? and maybe a shower.... ;)
    My destruction staff I was using for awhile ran out of charge and I'm not sure how to find gems, nor did I think it was worth it to recharge it anyway since it was outdated compared to just standard staves. So i just researched with it. My gear has been quite odd. I'm wearing a heavy helmet because it just was considerably better although i'd like to keep myself all light for the time being until i get into the game deeper.

What do you recommend to do to keep the gear progression going?
    So yeah, use 5 light and and 2 heavy. The heavy armor passives are great. Try crafting set items every ten levels, any more than that is a complete waste. Upgrade them to blue and use blue enchants, any more than that is a waste until your v14. medium armor passives mostly relate to stam and sneak which you don't seem to be using so don't bother there unless you just want to complete the skill line for fun.

Usually I can get 2 full sets, for example 5 pc. Seducer and 5 pc. Warlocks. My magicka alts use the lvl 20 warlock set (neck, rings, and 2pc body) with the crafted seducer to my level. I used this all the way to v1 in which I simply upgrade to the v1 warlock set. Once you reach v12 think about starting to get some better sets (spell damage stack).

Soul gems usually drop from the mini-bosses at the end of delves and from chests. Try farming a couple delve bosses and pick any chests you find there. Then fill any empty soul gems you find.
    Edited by Cuyler on March 25, 2015 1:22PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not sure how to edit
    @Electroflux, the cog-wheel on the OP of a thread is to the right of the thread title, not in the upper-right of the post itself like replies are.

Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on March 25, 2015 1:47PM
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destruction staff charges (and all other equipment that require it):
    You are right that an under par staff doesn't need to be charged, but specially later on you will want too, so I"ll explain how.

You need a filled soulgem to recharge it. You can buy them from the mystic merchant filled and ready, but it is a lot cheaper to unlock the soul trap skill and buy empty soulgems. By using the skill on an enemy (of the appropriate level for the type of soulgem) you fill an empty.Soul gems come in variating sizes. the size is important for the type of soul you can trap in it (e.g. you start with minor soulgems. They can trap souls in it that belonged to foes between level 10 and level 19 and can be used to charge weapons designated for level 10-19.
    My tactic is to get a few soulgems, fill them using soul trap and then un-equip the skill again. Best is to make a small stack (6-7) once you get a new type of soulgem. So at level 10 (or 11 in your case) and then again at level 20.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To craft glyphs need to enchant your gear - you need to level up enchanting. If you don't want to do that, you can always buy glyphs from others.

To craft "special" sets, you need to research traits. Each set has a minimum numbers of traits you need to know per item in order to be able to craft that item, these will have bonuses depending on how many pieces you wear.

If you're interested in crafting, I have been working on some video guides. The Beginner's Guide ESO Forum Thread. They should help you out with research and traits for sure. As for not being up to par, at level 11 you really have nothing to worry about. You can easily use crafted sets up to VR (and even beyond).

To charge your weapon you need a full soul gem. These can be purchased off of "Mystic" merchants, or picked up in chests or often drop from bosses. There is a skill line under "world" that gives you the ability to fill an empty one. There is also a great passive you can unlocks after awhile that fills them whenever you use your weapon to kill something (never need to use the actual ability ever again)

I recommend joining a guild. Often guild banks will have many low level soul gems in them as people dump them in once they outlevel them. As well, you'll probably meet some crafters than can help you out with your gear.. along with a bunch of other knowledgeable people most likely that can help you with questions. :) Good luck and enjoy Tamriel!
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord