Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returning player, overwhelmed, advice please

Hoylegu
Hoylegu
✭✭✭
Hi all,

I just returned, after having left a couple months after launch. I want to like the game again, but I'm feeling very overwhelmed.

I have a VR 9 Sorc who, when I logged back in, had my skills reset. I hunted down a build that looked good (by Parfax, at http://deltiasgaming.com/2015/03/09/sorcerer-dps-by-parfax/), but I've died many times in the past few mins, heh. That's in part to be expected, sure. And I did pretty well in PvE 1v1 and even most of the time 1v2, but when I had 3 mobs of equal rank? I died most of the time. I just feel so damned squishy.

Is it just me being rusty? Maybe I'm too old for such a mobile Sorc build? Maybe I should try a DK or Templar (I have those parked in their 30s and 40s IIRC)?

I'd appreciate any advice for the returning players who's an old man with crappy reflexes who likes to solo PvE. ;)

Thanks!
Hoylegu.
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light armor now has the actual defense of cloth. yu have to be mobile, abuse defensive spells, etc
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There have been a lot of changes.... I'd say roll up a new character, go through the re-vamped wailing prison and get to know the game all over again. Have fun with it!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Inactive Account
    Inactive Account
    ✭✭✭✭
    After the 1.6 patch, this became an almost totally different game.
    • Defensive skills are very useful to everyone now; not just Tanks
    • Skills have changed in the way they scale. (Magicka or Stamina)
    • Many people have gone with mixed Armor sets... ie 5 Light with 2 Heavy
    • If you skill-up like you did before 1.6, as you seem to have found, you are a Glass Cannon
    • Potion cool downs have changed

The list goes on and on.. For a full account read this. Warning, it's long

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/154426/patch-notes-v1-6-5#latest
    Edited by Inactive Account on March 21, 2015 3:56AM
  • Hadria
    Hadria
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roll a new character "but you're all like nooooo I don't want tooooo" do it anyways, trust me!
  • Hoylegu
    Hoylegu
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, all.

I still can't find a build for my VR9 Sorc that doesn't get me killed every 4th or 5th fight, heh.

Perhaps there's a solo/PvE/DPS more tanky, heavy armored class/build I should pursue, till I get my bearings in game again?

Thanks.
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well...
    I came back at 16th after a half-year of absence.
    Now i'm VR3, for AOE 1v3-4 pve(including delves) i use Inner Light, Conjured Ward/Thunder Presence, Power Surge, Liquid Light and Pulsar with a flame staff.
    I wear 3 warlock\5 seducer sets.
    Stats 30/23(mana/hp) now. With a food i've got ~15k hp and ~22k+ mana. Dying only cause my fool actions.
    One-target slots IL, Conjured Ward,Power Surge, Force pulse for Dark Shards procs.
    Overload is ultimate Ultimate =)
    Also look there for builds
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/forum/classes/sorcerer-class/

Oh, i've just make a little video.
    https://youtu.be/-NGEYJM-IIA
    Edited by LameoveR on March 23, 2015 6:29AM
  • Hoylegu
    Hoylegu
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the response, LameoveR, I'll look into your build!
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hoylegu

I had the same problem returning a couple weeks ago. Did you notice your attribute pts (Health, Majicka, Stamina) were reset as well? Well, it took me a week to realize that and was a reason I was dying all the time. Silly me.