Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Destruction Staff: How much channeling for heavy attack?

demonaffinity
demonaffinity
✭✭✭
So I've been wondering, do you need to hold the blast until the character releases automaticly, or is it okay with 1-2 seconds? I ask because a heavy attack seem to launch 2 fireballs, while a regular fast attack shoots 1. Holding the blast for 1 second looks the same as when he auto release.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure when the numbers kick in but the animation will end and start over if you just hold the button down. I do know that the refund of magicka and health come at the end of the animation. I use heavy attacks to fill my magicka faster if I'm in combat but don't feel I need a potion.

Edit: Left this out, If you don't let the animation end you won't get your extra boost of magicka and health returned to you. (Can't remember if getting these depends on morphs or champion points taken)
    Edited by Casdha on March 19, 2015 2:56PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• demonaffinity
    demonaffinity
    ✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    Not sure when the numbers kick in but the animation will end and start over if you just hold the button down. I do know that the refund of magicka and health come at the end of the animation. I use heavy attacks to fill my magicka faster if I'm in combat but don't feel I need a potion.

Edit: Left this out, If you don't let the animation end you won't get your extra boost of magicka and health returned to you. (Can't remember if getting these depends on morphs or champion points taken)

I didnt know heavy attacks returned health and magicka. Where does it say that?
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned about them in a patch note that said the rates had been adjusted but I don't remember which one. You can see by this post they have been there for a while.
    forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/133166/heavy-attack-resource-return-values

Edit: dont forget numbers in that post are from an old system before champion points were put in. Also what you get can be affected by morph choices or champion points
    Edited by Casdha on March 19, 2015 3:23PM

• Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charging it up all the way and letting it auto-release versus charging it for a split second and releasing just changes the damage, all your passives and magicka return and junk still happen, the damage is just a tad less.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • demonaffinity
    demonaffinity
    ✭✭✭
    Panda244 wrote: »
    Charging it up all the way and letting it auto-release versus charging it for a split second and releasing just changes the damage, all your passives and magicka return and junk still happen, the damage is just a tad less.
    Thanks to the both of you!
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panda244 wrote: »

Thanks for that, I watch animations of the bars I don't run any add ons that show numbers (stock UI) so to me it appears what i said is true it must be just how the animations work for me.

• LordSkyKnight
    LordSkyKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to complete the heavy attack to get a magicka return. That means a full charge before you release the attack. If you release the attack early you won't get any magicka returned.

Staves return magicka from a full heavy attack and melee/ bow weapons return stamina.
    "And it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days. The fact that the word "monetized" exists points to the heart of the issue for us: We don't want the player to worry about which parts of the game to pay for - with our system, they get it all."
    - Matt Firor
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to complete the heavy attack to get a magicka return. That means a full charge before you release the attack. If you release the attack early you won't get any magicka returned.

Staves return magicka from a full heavy attack and melee/ bow weapons return stamina.

I was under the impression that only a Restoration staff returned Magicka... If a fully charged heavy attack does the same thing for Destruction staves then the return is so minimal it's useless.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • LordSkyKnight
    LordSkyKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They patched the game a while ago to allow the other weapons to restore their relative resource pool upon completion of a heavy attack. They also changed the restoration staff passive to return an increased amount of magicka instead of the damage increase.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Patch+Notes+V1.4.4

"And it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days. The fact that the word "monetized" exists points to the heart of the issue for us: We don't want the player to worry about which parts of the game to pay for - with our system, they get it all."
    - Matt Firor
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light Attack (click, no hold) = Damage only
    Medium Attack (click and hold but release early)
    Heavy Attack (click and hold until it auto releases)

If you release early, its classed as a Medium attack, is will do a little more damage then a light attack but not the full damage of a heavy attack, it will also restore some resources but not as much as a full heavy attack.

All weapon Medium & Heavy attacks restores resources (mana or stamina) but Medium attacks restore very very little resources.

There are ways to get a Heavy attack in the same time as a Medium attack if you weave skills that cause the game to bypass animations.
    Edited by Natjur on March 19, 2015 9:36PM