Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZoS Oversight on the Console offer or intentional?

aConsoleCouple
So I'm one of the people that took ZoS up on their offer ( when the first delay happened ) to buy Elder Scrolls Online for the PC then transfer to the Console of my choice when the Console Versions are released.

The thing is, and there was no mention of this or warning, if I am in the EU and play on the NA server ( and Vise Versa ) I won't be able to transfer my character over to console. This being because you can apparently only transfer from NA PC server to NA Console Server, and from EU PC Server to EU Console Server.

The thing is the Console versions of the game are going to lock players onto their region server and have no ability to switch. So those of us from the EU who played on NA, and those of us from NA that played on EU won't be able to transfer our characters we have put all our time into, over to our console of choice as promised.

This also means that people playing on Console won't be able to play with their friends, unless their friends are in the same region as them.

So, is this an intentional thing done by Zenimax, or is this something that was an Oversight and they'll fix? 'Cause right now a portion of those people who took ZoS up on the offer are going to lose everything they have worked on and bought.

On an extra note, I read the only reason ESO ( Tamriel Unlimited ) is coming to console is the fact the new generation of consoles are more like PC's, so why not allow people to choose their server, like on the PC/Mac version of the game. Then this problem wouldn't arise.

Or if it's possible a global server on Console, so that the player base and friends aren't segregated, matchmake instances based on preferred language so that people don't have to deal with so many different languages like on the current EU server ( that being the reason I play on NA ).

I don't know if that would be at all possible but just a thought.

Links to the info are here:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26775/

The part about the consoles locking people to their region with no ability to switch is near the bottom of the page in the answer to: Do my crowns and purchased items come with me if I switch megaservers?

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/tamrielunlimitedfaq

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consoles are over rated IMO... The graphics are soooo much better on PC so I think you should stay and play with us on the PC NA server :smiley: Just think of all the wonderful Addons you will be losing if you move to Console also....
    NA Server - Kildair
  • aConsoleCouple
    Yeah I know, I love the add-ons and people are a lot friendlier here too, but my best friends, Boyfriend and cousin etc are all going to be playing the game on the Consoles which is why I wish to go over there.

I'll have a lot more people to play with, in turn having a lot more fun. I'll take the hit in graphics and add-ons for a better time playing if you get what I mean. lol
    Edited by aConsoleCouple on March 19, 2015 4:58PM
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, look at it this way: They will be starting from scratch. You can start from scratch.
    It'll be a whole lot more fun that you playing with them with your vr14 and them on a lvl6 :hushed:

In terms of your question, the region restriction on console is by the console manufacturers. Always has, always will be a problem (hence why you can go and get your consoles chipped to access over seas content).

ZOS will have been forced to make people stay in their own regions by the Manufacturers. That being said, in theory, there is no reason why your NA Characters could not be dropped into the EU server. The biggest problem would probably be the inventory as the items are names differently on the NA version I believe.... (still don't know why on earth someone would do that...)
    Edited by P3ZZL3 on March 19, 2015 5:05PM
    CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
    CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
    CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
  • aConsoleCouple
    @P3ZZL3 The thing is though there will be times where I'll want to play alone, and that way I can play on the character I've been working on on PC.

Plus my Boyfriend bought me Items from the Crown store as a little birthday gift ( my birthday being the 17th ) which means not only am I going to lose all that time from this but I'm also going to be losing money.

And I'm sure it's the same for others in my situation. :(
    Edited by aConsoleCouple on March 19, 2015 5:07PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMO this absolutely counts as false advertising that possibly led to people purchasing the game and now finding out the offer doesn't apply to their characters. I don't know if ZOS was aware of the limitations at the time they made that offer - maybe they didn't know yet that people wouldn't be able to choose their console server - but it's entirely on their heads if they can't follow up on their promise. Isn't it possible to transfer characters between PC servers first and then onto the console server?
    On an extra note, I read the only reason ESO ( Tamriel Unlimited ) is coming to console is the fact the new generation of consoles are more like PC's, so why not allow people to choose their server, like on the PC/Mac version of the game. Then this problem wouldn't arise.
    This is probably a console-specific issue that isn't only Zenimax's decision. We know they aren't against us choosing our servers, because we can do it on PC. I'd look for the reason on Microsoft and Sony's side.
    Edited by Rosveen on March 19, 2015 5:08PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    P3ZZL3 wrote: »
    The biggest problem would probably be the inventory as the items are names differently on the NA version I believe....
    They are? What's different?
  • aConsoleCouple
    @P3ZZL3 @Rosveen The thing is with the new generation is both Consoles are completely region free, so I don't see why either of them would want it this way

Also Rosveen, I was thinking that about dropping them over to a different server now, but then they may also have people that have no intention of going to Console, trying to cheat their way into a server transfer. There must be something they can do though.
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rosveen I've no idea where I heard that. Sure it was here on the forums or something. IT's why you effectively have the NA/EU split. Again, could have just been something my mind made up one evening *shrugs* lol

• Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    Consoles are over rated IMO... The graphics are soooo much better on PC so I think you should stay and play with us on the PC NA server :smiley: Just think of all the wonderful Addons you will be losing if you move to Console also....
    I play with no add-ons, I don't feel deprived.
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn wrote: »
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    I play with no add-ons, I don't feel deprived.

Because you've tried add-ons and thought the game was better off without theem?

If that's the case, you crazy. IF you've never tried them, then ignorance is bliss I guess.
    Edited by Sallington on March 19, 2015 5:20PM
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also Rosveen, I was thinking that about dropping them over to a different server now, but then they may also have people that have no intention of going to Console, trying to cheat their way into a server transfer. There must be something they can do though.
    It can't possibly be so hard to make a list of characters to transfer and not drop some of them halfway. :smiley: I mean, when someone requests a transfer, they'll just have to go all the way. The problem I see here is that it isn't an actual transfer, it's a copy. So ZOS might have to create a copy from NA to EU, then to console EU, then delete the character from PC EU. A bit of a hassle. But it should be doable, no?
  • aConsoleCouple
    I only run a few add-ons, All I really want is for people who have took them up on the offer to know that they might be unable to do the transfer as promised and that they'll be losing everything due to what I can only presume is an oversight.

I guess I'd just like ZoS to try and do something to help us all out you know? let us know they'll hold up their end of the deal. :smile:

@Rosveen Well the thing is since I found out I haven't loaded up the game, I feel that I'll just be wasting even more of my time. Now if they could drop me over to the EU server I'd just carry on playing knowing I'm not going to lose everything, I'm not happy about the server lock on console but it'd be something atleast.
    Edited by aConsoleCouple on March 19, 2015 5:38PM
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox One may be used in all countries, including the non-launched markets. In addition, Xbox One games are not region locked. Any Xbox One game purchased at retail can be used in any country on any Xbox One," said the company in a statement. That doesn't mean Xbox Live games will be region free, though.

*shrugs* Who knows what stunning terms they've all agreed to make more money of the player base...

• aConsoleCouple
    @P3ZZL3 I haven't got a clue, as I said I just hope something can be done for those of us stuck in this situation.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I'm one of the people that took ZoS up on their offer ( when the first delay happened ) to buy Elder Scrolls Online for the PC then transfer to the Console of my choice when the Console Versions are released.

The thing is, and there was no mention of this or warning, if I am in the EU and play on the NA server ( and Vise Versa ) I won't be able to transfer my character over to console. This being because you can apparently only transfer from NA PC server to NA Console Server, and from EU PC Server to EU Console Server.

The thing is the Console versions of the game are going to lock players onto their region server and have no ability to switch. So those of us from the EU who played on NA, and those of us from NA that played on EU won't be able to transfer our characters we have put all our time into, over to our console of choice as promised.

This also means that people playing on Console won't be able to play with their friends, unless their friends are in the same region as them.

So, is this an intentional thing done by Zenimax, or is this something that was an Oversight and they'll fix? 'Cause right now a portion of those people who took ZoS up on the offer are going to lose everything they have worked on and bought.

Or if it's possible a global server on Console, so that the player base and friends aren't segregated, matchmake instances based on preferred language so that people don't have to deal with so many different languages like on the current EU server ( that being the reason I play on NA ).

I don't know if that would be at all possible but just a thought.

Links to the info are here:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26775/

The part about the consoles locking people to their region with no ability to switch is near the bottom of the page in the answer to: Do my crowns and purchased items come with me if I switch megaservers?

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/tamrielunlimitedfaq

To be completely honest, you raise good points but we all realized after this offer was presented that the game was delayed 6+ months. Many people including me, posted and badgered ZOS for any details, limitations, etc.

Just recently we began to see more info so I think its worth the community pushing for this copy to be open to all and not just the June 9th group. its also worth asking for other work around like a free VR1, etc to mimic the character levels on your PC account if in fact you are a customer whose PS4 or Xbox One is in another region than your PC account.

Best of luck as I saw the crown limitation and was discouraged a lot.
    Also keep in mind, that until the console BETA's hit, there is more good and bad news coming.

hold on tight
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • aConsoleCouple
    @NewBlacksmurf Thanks, If they had simply put a warning/information about this at the time they made the offer this could have all been avoided. Though they may not have known at the time, still needs to be fixed though.

I don't want to lose my character or the collection items my boyfriend bought me.
  • aConsoleCouple
    @P3ZZL3 I messaged Xbox Support about it and they said they don't want to speculate but usually region locks are on the publisher side of decision making.
  • ZOS_AmeliaR
    ZOS_AmeliaR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone. We are actually in the process of updating the knowledge base articles mentioned in this thread. As explained in the articles as they are now, our initial plans for the PC/Mac-to-console transfer would have only allowed players to transfer from the North American PC/Mac server to the North American console server of their choice (or from the European PC/Mac server to the European console server of their choice). while we haven't locked down the details just yet, we are working towards making it so that the server you play on currently (on PC/Mac) won't limit your server options if you choose to take advantage of the transfer offer.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • aConsoleCouple
    @ZOS_AmeliaR Thankyou so much, I can finally get back to playing without the fear of wasting my time and or losing all my stuff. ^^
    Edited by aConsoleCouple on March 19, 2015 8:49PM
  • pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please consider implementing full cross platform play instead of just one-time account copies so PC players can chose to play on PS4 when we feel like laying back with a controller in front of the television.

That or add the exact same controls and interface which will be available on the console.
    End the tedious inventory management game.
  • Takhistis
    Takhistis
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it wasn't even possible, read a statement from ZOS somewhere, to switch PV characters from NA to EU
    NA-DC-NB VR1 Ilythrian
    Proud member of Guild Medieval, More Than Fair, The Angry Unicorn Inn
  • Fruity_Ninja
    Fruity_Ninja
    ✭✭✭
    How did you organise a transfer? I saw the article but never got that option?

Also is there a way to tell which mega server you'd be on? I.e. I'm an Oceania player so would a possible transfer still keep me on NA?
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone. We are actually in the process of updating the knowledge base articles mentioned in this thread. As explained in the articles as they are now, our initial plans for the PC/Mac-to-console transfer would have only allowed players to transfer from the North American PC/Mac server to the North American console server of their choice (or from the European PC/Mac server to the European console server of their choice). while we haven't locked down the details just yet, we are working towards making it so that the server you play on currently (on PC/Mac) won't limit your server options if you choose to take advantage of the transfer offer.

Very good start...maybe also add 8 months to June 9th 2014 for pc account copy due to the delay
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on March 20, 2015 2:18AM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • JakeAUS
    JakeAUS
    Well I'm feeling a bit disgruntled at the moment... I've been a subscriber since launch with the intention of one day getting the Xbox One version. I recieved the email a couple of days ago saying I can pay $20 AUD to get a digital copy of the game on XB1 with my character(s) transferred and thought "thats awesome!"..

So today, I've gone ahead and purchased it, and yesterday, my good friend with whom I've played ESO with since the start, and intended to continue playing with also purchased it. So there I was, smile on my face reading up on all the information regarding the ESO plus memebership as I wanted to confirm that it applies to the consoles as well and then I see this little notation at the end of a question regarding Crowns..

"Console players are automatically assigned to the megaserver in their respective home territory and are not able to switch".

Well here is the thing, I live in Australia and so I have no doubt that I will be assigned to the NA Megaserver - my friend however, is from Denmark and so he will be assigned to the EU Megaserver. This means we cannot play together, and I'm having serious doubts as to whether I even want the console copy anymore.. furthermore, his characters are all on the NA server and based on the posts above it looks like he can't be sure that he will even be able to transfer them.

It's quite disappointing that information regarding region restrictions and character transfer restrictions were not made clearer to customers before they were able to press the 'BUY' button..
  • Cyrene
    Cyrene
    JakeAUS wrote: »
    Well I'm feeling a bit disgruntled at the moment... I've been a subscriber since launch with the intention of one day getting the Xbox One version. I recieved the email a couple of days ago saying I can pay $20 AUD to get a digital copy of the game on XB1 with my character(s) transferred and thought "thats awesome!"..

So today, I've gone ahead and purchased it, and yesterday, my good friend with whom I've played ESO with since the start, and intended to continue playing with also purchased it. So there I was, smile on my face reading up on all the information regarding the ESO plus memebership as I wanted to confirm that it applies to the consoles as well and then I see this little notation at the end of a question regarding Crowns..

"Console players are automatically assigned to the megaserver in their respective home territory and are not able to switch".

Well here is the thing, I live in Australia and so I have no doubt that I will be assigned to the NA Megaserver - my friend however, is from Denmark and so he will be assigned to the EU Megaserver. This means we cannot play together, and I'm having serious doubts as to whether I even want the console copy anymore.. furthermore, his characters are all on the NA server and based on the posts above it looks like he can't be sure that he will even be able to transfer them.

It's quite disappointing that information regarding region restrictions and character transfer restrictions were not made clearer to customers before they were able to press the 'BUY' button..

Australia is counted as part of the EU server on PSN however I'm not sure about Xbone. Regardless, this is an unbelievably misleading oversight by ZOS. Is there no limit to the incompetence here? Everyone I play with is on NA and I was JUST about to purchase the transfer until right now after waiting an extra year for console release. Incredulous.
  • aConsoleCouple
    @JakeAUS The being locked to your regional server is disappointing, I wished there would be a global server or something but they have said above they are going to work it out so people from EU playing on the NA PC server can transfer their characters to the EU console server.

A bit more information at the start would have been helpful but at least they are going to fix this, I still think they need to fix the region locking of the servers though, maybe just give people a choice like you have on the PC.
    Edited by aConsoleCouple on April 11, 2015 7:10AM
  • Cyrene
    Cyrene
    ^^Okay I'm completely confused can someone from ZOS clarify this ASAP.