The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

a Bosmer question

vaynpursuit
i was wondering what my fellow Bosmer prefer to eat. i personally like Breton's i dont know what it is but they have a good taste about them kinda tangy.
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    They call khajiit "the other white meat," but I have some Khajiit friends, so I'll have to pass on that one.

My grandmother told me about the Green Pact, but she also told me that I'll drown if I go in swimming less than an hour after I've eaten, that cats steal your breath while you sleep, and that if the wind changed my face would stay like that. So, now that I've left home I pretty much eat what I like. And I like sweetrolls.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Trowzers
    Trowzers
    Soul Shriven
    Ugh! That is one thing I don't miss from my early days at home - all the meat! I mean nothing wrong with an occasional Nord adventurer wandering into our territory in search of treasure, but I couldn't eat a whole one! Such terrible gas!

Living with the Khajiit I developed more of a sweet tooth. It took a while to get used to the idea of eating plants (so strange!) but once you get used to it, you realise it's much easier on the stomach! Still, sometimes it's best not to let good food go to waste, but at least I don't feel the need these days to stuff myself silly every time some random bandit accosts me on the road!
  • MisterDubis
    I hear that argonians are stringy. But, alas I've yet to try one.
    "I hear that argonians are stringy. But, alas I've yet to try one." - me
  • SilvaRavenheart
    Now this is the problem with the dominion these days - cannibals!! My husband tells me to have an open mind, that Queen Ayrenn has the right of it, that we need to be diverse to survive. I know things have changed in Tamriel and maybe we DO need these allies, but please don't let the cannibals on the Isles.
    I am the flame which lights the way. I am wisdom attained and knowledge sought.
    By my power the darkness is burned. My will the tides are turned. Arcane might is my weapon. Elemental fury, my shield. Know me as The Sorceress. And fear the name,
    Ravenheart
    !
  • ForestGuard
    ForestGuard
    ✭✭✭
    About bosmer cannibalism... I'd suggest looking into my thread on TESO-RP.com, Bosmer Lore: Online. There's also plenty of food that works with the Green Pact that isn't just red meat. Insects, eggs, fish, snails. Milk, honey, butter, etc. I even made up a few non-canon dishes for my character:

(FANON)
    Tyamal: Name comes from Mallari (Gold) and Tya (Taste).
    Waterbugs and/or Lemon Ants crushed with a mortar and pestle, mixed with honey and rolled up in a small circle of beeswax. A form of candy often awarded to young bosmer in some parts of Valenwood.
    ----Tyamal can be served as a dessert with milk, and rather than mixing the honey with the insects, it is poured warm over the rounded morsels. Sticky as it can be, the dish is eaten with bone utensils. This variation of the food is referred to as Tyamalo.

Kollopon: Name comes from kollopi, which exist in lore.
    Kollopi is an arboreal rodent common in the branches of the graht-oaks, it is sometimes referred to as "peasant food" but can be dressed up for a somewhat more refined audience into what some call Kollopon. The meat is rolled into smaller than usual balls and served on a central platter with a wide variety of dipping sauces and other toppings. These condiments may include: melted cheese, mashed bee larva (first sauteed in butter), heated egg yolks, gravy (thickened with a flour created by roasting and grinding bees), mashed grubs, roasted and chopped grasshoppers and crispy fried ants. The pieces of meat are stabbed, sometimes three to four at a time, with a bone utensil. It is considered by some to be a meal that invites social interaction, either between friends, family or strangers.

Shuaaru:
    Crispy fried frog legs on the bone with similarly prepared skins on the side, battered with bee-flour, goat milk and duck eggs. Served alongside a dip, generally made with mashed fish eggs, lemon ants and hot butter.

Fohana:
    Fohana is more common closer to lakes and rivers, as the dish relies on water-dwelling creatures. Small turtles are selected, the shells broken away from the bottom and insides. The turtle's meat is sauteed in butter then topped with fish eggs and thinly sliced hornworms. Often eaten with bare hands, bosmer will scoop into the turtle's shell with two fingers, grabbing a small piece of meat that carries with it the eggs and sliced hornworm.

Paakon:
    Essentially an omelette made with any available eggs and left-over meats (everything from squirrel to unthrappa). A good Paakon will also include a handful of chopped bee larvae that has been sauteed in butter, even more importantly, cheese (generally made with pig's or goat's milk) puts the final touch on this morning food.

(INTERPRETATIONS OF CANON)
    http://teso-rp.com/forum/m/9324623/viewthread/14169109-bosmer-lore-online
    Edited by ForestGuard on December 1, 2014 8:28AM
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one likes his meat as much as any other predator, but it must always be spiced with moonsugar.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well.....

I do like that ES has lovely and detailed cannon. That being said, the idea that the smallest of the mer are the meat eaters just doesn't jibe with how reality works. Also the idea that a whole race of people have a fit if a flower is picked? Again, doesn't work.

So in the RPG world that I played in which was "based on" ES, we have that "the green" does not refer to all green things (see any number of discussions for the number of words that Inuit have for snow - but I digress); it refers to the sentient members of plant life which would include the mobile graht-oaks and probably the Hist as well.

As well the idea that a culture of archers doesn't use wood, and somehow it would be okay to use wood harvested by someone else harvested? Just doesn't make workable sense. That would be like saying that murder is okay if someone else does it - and yes you can use parts of the murdered body to make things. So this goes back to "the green" referring to the sentient green.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Dyna
    Dyna
    ✭✭✭
    Size isn't everything. >_> And I absolutely adore how TES lore has turned the 'peace-loving hippie tree-elves' trope on its head - 'we love our trees so much that we will DESTROY YOU and then CONSUME YOUR CORPSE if you mess with them.'

And as far as wood being okay if it's harvested by someone else - it is the Valenwood which is scared; why should bosmer care about the trees beyond their borders? They made a Pact with Y'ffre in exchange for their abilities, they protect Valenwood above all else. Also, wood is not the only thing a bow can be made of - the horn-based recurve bows of the IRL Mongols were some of the most effective ranged weaponry of the time period.

To each their own, of course, but I love the lore as it is written; bosmer are my personal favorite race in lore, just because of how delightfully sensible they are within their own context.

I have written my bosmeri cannibalism as a ritual and a sign of deep respect for life; they do not waste meat. Is it really 'better' to burn or bury a body, or leave it to rot?
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dyna wrote: »
    Size isn't everything. >_> And I absolutely adore how TES lore has turned the 'peace-loving hippie tree-elves' trope on its head - 'we love our trees so much that we will DESTROY YOU and then CONSUME YOUR CORPSE if you mess with them.'

And as far as wood being okay if it's harvested by someone else - it is the Valenwood which is scared; why should bosmer care about the trees beyond their borders?

<snip>

Also, wood is not the only thing a bow can be made of - the horn-based recurve bows of the IRL Mongols were some of the most effective ranged weaponry of the time period.

<snip>

I have written my bosmeri cannibalism as a ritual and a sign of deep respect for life; they do not waste meat. Is it really 'better' to burn or bury a body, or leave it to rot?

I really do like the well thought out way you look at Bosmer. I also agree that wood is not necessarily the only possible material for a bow (I still recall the chitin weaponry from Morrowind).

My objection to "wood harvested by someone else" was the thought that it was okay if someone else cut 'any given branch'; just as long as the bosmer didn't do it, then the rest (working with it) didn't matter. That doesn't work for me - but it's not how you envision it, so cool!

Lastly to the cannibalism idea; you are being very true in spirit to a number of spiritual ideas - again - very cool.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bosmer.... They're resourceful.. I'll allow them that much, as for their culture and their false beliefs. I'd love to watch Valenwood burn, and all the filthy cannibalistic wretches inside along with it. They're no more civilized than the lizards in Blackmarsh that call themselves a people, by all means... Lock the two in a cage together, you'd get more use out of them as entertainment devices than anything else, and if they fall beyond repair, feed them to the wolves they so happily lay with! Filthy I say... Filthy cannibals... Nothing more.

/RacistAltmerViewpointOff

Out of all the races in TES lore I hate Bosmer the most. So yeah. If I fall on the bloody fields in Cyrodiil and some Bosmer attempts to eat me, so help me, I will make a Pact with Molag at that very moment and rip the Mer apart with my bare hands then dig into his neck with my fangs, or what will be left of it....

/RacistImperialViewpointOff

Still hate Bosmer. :wink:
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it depends on the situation I'd say

For long trips and snacks nothing keeps better then Jerked Argonian.

After a long day of being around those distant and I mean distant cousins the high elves, well I do so enjoy eating one of them. A sort of last laugh kind of thing, I know its petty but hey sometimes we all have to take that lower road sometimes. Though with High elves being so tall I recommend the torso the best, where all the blood stays cause we all know that oxygen rich blood doesn't reach their heads.

For building muscle or wanting those extra calories for winter I would recommend Nords. Beer batter Nord though fatty can be tasty with some fried potatoes. I know the calories but sometimes you have to live a little.

Though like their cousins the Nords Dark Elf meat is well dark it can be a bit dry and if not cut right could cause you to be poisoned. I think it has something to do with them dealing with poisons and all that treachery towards everyone. I tend to stay away from it. But I have come to understand that in some Bosmar circles that ever so slightly seared dark elf meat can be very tasty.

Kahjt well I just can't find it in my heart to eat those adorable little kitties, every time I see them I just want to hug them, hold them, and feed them.

For everyday meals I go with the Bretons nothing really special about them, you can take a roast of Briton put it in a pot with some veggies and water in the morning and by the time you come home at night you have food for couple of nights. and the price of Briton is so low right now you know they breed like rabbits and thus flood the meat market.

As for Imperials they were once a fine cut of meat but since they are becoming an endangered animal I try to support the repopulation of them before going back to eating them
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Trowzers wrote: »
    Ugh! That is one thing I don't miss from my early days at home - all the meat! I mean nothing wrong with an occasional Nord adventurer wandering into our territory in search of treasure, but I couldn't eat a whole one! Such terrible gas!

Living with the Khajiit I developed more of a sweet tooth. It took a while to get used to the idea of eating plants (so strange!) but once you get used to it, you realise it's much easier on the stomach! Still, sometimes it's best not to let good food go to waste, but at least I don't feel the need these days to stuff myself silly every time some random bandit accosts me on the road!

*for RP purposes my altmer was raised by bosmer*

eating a nord was something special like having aged meat permeated in alcohol by the time i finished one i was drunk off my arse for at least a week.
  • ForestGuard
    ForestGuard
    ✭✭✭
    Jagga-Tarts. They're NOT fanon, they're actually described in one of the new items you can steal.

"Fluted ring pans for making jagga tarts, a Wood Elf delicacy consisting of fermented pig's milk and squirrel preserves."

I feel like they probably use bee flour too, ground from roasted bees (wasps are huge in Tamriel and bosmer are known to keep bees).

Also...

"Self-heating brass travel pot for boiling beetle-tea, bearing the sigil of the Royal House of Camoran."
  • Kayttajatili
    Kayttajatili
    Soul Shriven
    Dyna wrote: »
    Sounds like Dwarf Fortress to me.