The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

ESO Contextual Fog Concept

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a quick one.

When the weather is bad we should see the fog that we see now and possibly even MORE fog. When the weather is good, we should see much less fog, possibly even no fog. The maximum amount of fog relief be attached to a slider in the graphics menu and the amount of fog relief could be based on the percentage of that slider.

Allow those of us who are able to support no fog, experience no fog.
Fw2JquJ.jpg?1

I have more Fog/No Fog screenshots here:
http://i.imgur.com/RAasVtQ.jpg?1

Please note, I have seen NO noticeable FPS drop since installing SweetFX.

I decided to take some comparison shots of inside a dungeon:
ZQYKHRS.jpg?1

Thoughts?
Edited by Gidorick on March 14, 2015 8:27PM
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be game for it, I don't use Sweet FX myself, the game is prettier enough without it. I wouldn't turn the Fog all the way off though, the background looks bad without it, there isn't a whole lot of depth of field in ESO so far away objects abruptly end and it looks funny, at least in my opinion. I would like to lighten up the fog though, currently, looks like ESO is constantly in the rainy season :cry:
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panda244 wrote: »
    I'd be game for it, I don't use Sweet FX myself, the game is prettier enough without it. I wouldn't turn the Fog all the way off though, the background looks bad without it, there isn't a whole lot of depth of field in ESO so far away objects abruptly end and it looks funny, at least in my opinion. I would like to lighten up the fog though, currently, looks like ESO is constantly in the rainy season :cry:

I HAD to turn depth of field off... everything in the distance was just a mass of blur. I wish there were a fog slider on SweetFX. I have actually logged out when it was raining to log back in without SweetFX. Since ESO has the fog ZOS didn't put much detail into the distant details so yea... some look pretty bad.

With Sweet FX, without fog, the world feels more like a "world" to me. It just FEELS larger and more expansive. it's interesting.
    Edited by Gidorick on March 9, 2015 1:48PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fog "slider" would also work here.

That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A world without fog is stunning!
    NYzbdHI.jpg?1

x88aqmG.jpg?1

e2zJpxh.jpg?1

yngd5Z1.jpg?1
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS would have to replace some of the distant textures... many places the distant mountains look TERRIBLE because they used the fog as a way to block our view of them.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    ZOS would have to replace some of the distant textures... many places the distant mountains look TERRIBLE because they used the fog as a way to block our view of them.

I feel like a parent sometimes saying "Well ZOS you made a mess so you are responsible for cleaning it up".
  • lecarcajou_ESO
    lecarcajou_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to feel a bit foggy meself after reading all this.
    "Morally Decentralized."
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heromofo wrote: »

I feel like a parent sometimes saying "Well ZOS you made a mess so you are responsible for cleaning it up".

except not really, nor will they.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally @PKMN12. I just enjoy dreaming and conceptualizing. I have no credentials to offer ZOS professionally, so this is my outlet. I have said many times that I don't think ZOS will listen to me. They have shown that they have their plans and they aren't looking for input from their players.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do not get me wrong, most of these ideas are GREAT, and would be amazing too add to this game to make it better, you guys are great at thinking of ideas for MMOs for teh most part.

But as someone who went through what happened with SWTOR, and now what happened with ESO, it gets harder and harder for us mmo players to believe a word that devs say and many of use have become VERY cynical about it.

IT is ALWAYS great to hope for the best, but honestly, when it comes to MMOs, expect the worse, and be happy when it comes out good.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PKMN12 wrote: »
    do not get me wrong, most of these ideas are GREAT, and would be amazing too add to this game to make it better, you guys are great at thinking of ideas for MMOs for teh most part.

But as someone who went through what happened with SWTOR, and now what happened with ESO, it gets harder and harder for us mmo players to believe a word that devs say and many of use have become VERY cynical about it.

IT is ALWAYS great to hope for the best, but honestly, when it comes to MMOs, expect the worse, and be happy when it comes out good.

LOL... in the end @PKMN12... You're probably right. Out of your case and mine, I'll end up much more disappointed in the end. hehe.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Nyghthowler
    Nyghthowler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gidorick ; I always say Hope for the best, expect the worst, and try not to be too surprised when you end up getting buggered.
    I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally !
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just running around Rivenspire and felt like the fog was particularly soupy, so I decided to turn it off and I was surprised by the results.

While I do LOVE the atmosphere the fog creates...
    PDEJYMr.jpg?1

The sheer feeling of scale and breadth without the fog surprised me.
    ZHQ2kGW.jpg?1

I'm not saying we don't need the fog but surely there is room in the game for BOTH. I'm wanting CONTEXTUAL fog... not no fog.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• apav
    apav
    ✭✭
    I agree with this. I'm pretty sure I know what the devs were thinking and I think it's flawed. The fog (most likely) serves two purposes:

1.) To hide the horrid LOD textures they were either too lazy to work on or thought that it would be too much of a performance impact for an MMO. But that's what the view distance slider is for.. Look at this photo from the previous post. That reminded me of looking at distant mountains in Oblivion, a game from 2006.

ql16Mtw.jpg

2.) To make PvP more fair and suspenseful. That way you aren't able to stand somewhere high up and see where the enemies are going to attack next. Once again though, this can be circumvented by having spies.

Although it can be pretty with the lightning and create atmosphere, the fog certainly breaks immersion for me, especially on a clear day or if I go someplace high and I'm not able to see far away. That being said though, I choose to keep it on. Why? To me, that LOD looks much worse, so I am happier looking at the fog and forgetting about it.

Not that I think this game isn't beautiful or anything, but this is coming from someone with a beefy rig that made Skyrim as visually impressive as possible. I know I can't fully get that with ESO and I don't have a problem with that, but I don't think the fog or that horrible LOD hidden behind it is acceptable. To those that say it can't be done in an MMO: The graphics are great in every other aspect, so why hold back here? Ideally I'd like them to at least scale back some of that fog and give us some decent distant textures, but I realize that will probably never happen.
    Edited by apav on August 14, 2015 12:24PM
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just running around Rivenspire and felt like the fog was particularly soupy, so I decided to turn it off and I was surprised by the results.

IMO they both look terrible. Ignoring the low-res mountains in the background, the screenshot without fog just looks "unreal". I wonder if ESO could get a less uniform fog - some days thick, other days only low-lying tufts, with tall buildings and mountain peaks rising above it.
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @apav, the fog appears to only serve top hide the low rez textures. I see ZERO performance hit when I remove fog.

And that is what I'm asking for @Merlight. Contextual fog. There are places where the fog isn't the system fog, where it's part of the world. The fog should be used to create atmosphere, not just top obscure players views from unfinished graphical renderings.

I love the idea of low fog in the game. In the mornings when it just rained.

Edited by Gidorick on August 14, 2015 1:25PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    100% Agree. I mentioned this type of thing a short while ago in my 'Sloppiness' Thread.
    House Baratheon: 'Ours Is The Fury'
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that thread @keybaud. I wish it had longer legs than it did. It was a good thread.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the fog are you talking about Gidorick! :wink:

The game looks awesome anyway it comes!
    NA Server - Kildair
  • apav
    apav
    ✭✭
    @apav, the fog appears to only serve top hide the low rez textures. I see ZERO performance hit when I remove fog.

And that is what I'm asking for @Merlight. Contextual fog. There are places where the fog isn't the system fog, where it's part of the world. The fog should be used to create atmosphere, not just top obscure players views from unfinished graphical renderings.

I'm saying that either they didn't have the time and/or money to actually do proper high res LOD, or they thought that if they did there'd be too much of a performance hit making the game perform poorly even on the lowest settings for people with low-mid range computers (which could dissuade them to keep playing). The fog itself does not have a performance hit at all.
    Edited by apav on August 14, 2015 3:16PM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    apav wrote: »

I'm saying that either they didn't have the time and/or money to actually do proper high res LOD, or they thought that if they did there'd be too much of a performance hit making the game perform poorly even on the lowest settings for people with low-mid range computers (which could dissuade them to keep playing). The fog itself does not have a performance hit at all.

I seriously doubt it had anything to do with performance concerns. Even if it did, they should give us the option to have less fog.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope they look into stuff like this.

So many little things in ESO are sloppy or lazy and imporving on them would make the overall game feel so much better and more polished.
    House Baratheon: 'Ours Is The Fury'
  • Reifnir
    Reifnir
    The Eso addon destroy the function of eso launcher... so this F... terrible fog is back in game. Zenimax made an option where alle who want can disable the fog....
    -=Glory of Sovngarde=-
    Reifnir Ysgrason - Stamina DK.
    Rondor Ysgrason - Magica Sorc.
    Gaius Septimus Signius - Magica Temp.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Launcher no longer removes fog... shame. I wonder if that was a deliberate "fix".
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Sneaky-Snurr
    Sneaky-Snurr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rise O' Mighty Thread.
    The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
      EP CP810 Nightblade
      AD CP810 Templar
      AD CP810 Dragon Knight
      AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
      DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
    {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown