The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New player's impressions on grouping and the dungeon finder tool

jeremiahbucher_ESO
I just started playing the game a couple weeks ago and I have a level 34 Sorcerer. I have tried to use the dungeon tool many times without success. Currently I have not been able to do any group dungeons which has me feeling extremely bored with the game. I really like the quests, the combat, and the game as a whole, but without being able to experience the multiplayer aspects of PVE, it feels more like a single player RPG than a multiplayer game.

I have been told that I can change into a tank or healer and spam chat in order to find a group, but changing my character seems a bit extreme, and spamming chat takes a lot away from the game. I prefer having my chat window off and immersing myself in the game whenever possible. Far too often, chat is immature, toxic, and disruptive to the game environment.

I don't know what is wrong with the dungeon finder tool. Some people say it is bugged, while others claim it is just underused. I only hope that a solution is in the works, because for players like myself, who live for the dungeon crawl, it is very frustrating to see dungeons available and not be able to find a group for them.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You live for the dungeon crawl, but you're unwilling to use the only means of finding a group we have? That's kinda counter-productive.

If you really dislike zone chat so much, find a PvE guild. We have a guild recruitment subforum here.
  • jeremiahbucher_ESO
    Rosveen wrote: »
    You live for the dungeon crawl, but you're unwilling to use the only means of finding a group we have? That's kinda counter-productive.

If you really dislike zone chat so much, find a PvE guild. We have a guild recruitment subforum here.

Spamming chat should not be the only means of finding a group.

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree, we discussed it here many times, but we have to work with what we've got. Try to find a reliable group of friends or guildmates so you can stop using zone chat for LFG as soon as possible.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, we discussed it here many times, but we have to work with what we've got. Try to find a reliable group of friends or guildmates so you can stop using zone chat for LFG as soon as possible.

I agree. Find a guild that you enjoy. You will get to know the members that are normally online the same times as you a become friends. Not only will it help you find groups in the guild, but you may find a group of people who you can do dungeon with often so you get to know each others playstyles, strengths, and weaknesses and this will really help you once you start the higher tier dungeons.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • jeremiahbucher_ESO
    I'm just going to take a break from the game and revisit it in a few months. I tried to find a guild, but there isn't even a tool for that implemented at this time. Hopefully, they will work on social tools in the future. I think with the right tools, ESO would be the best mmo I've played, but at the moment I just feel frustrated and forced into a strict type of social interaction in order to experience group content.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just going to take a break from the game and revisit it in a few months. I tried to find a guild, but there isn't even a tool for that implemented at this time. Hopefully, they will work on social tools in the future. I think with the right tools, ESO would be the best mmo I've played, but at the moment I just feel frustrated and forced into a strict type of social interaction in order to experience group content.
    Have you tried the guild recruitment section here on the forum? Plenty of friendly guilds around.
  • jeremiahbucher_ESO
    Have you tried the guild recruitment section here on the forum? Plenty of friendly guilds around.

I have now :)
    I find this whole process a bit overwhelming though. Having to come to the forums, read dozens of posts, apply on various guilds websites, then possibly get invited in game. All in the hopes that the guild forum allows me find a group to do dungeons.

I'd rather just join a queue and go do quests and explore while waiting for it to pop. I'm just going to play other games for a while and wait for some better tools to be implemented in ESO.
  • eserras7b16_ESO
    eserras7b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you really like doing dungeons and want friendly players to play with, I'm running a guild wich might fit you :) (thou i'm sure you already found nice people to play with by now) Anyway, you're invited!
    Eptackt - Argonian Templar
    Belegrand - Redguard Nightblade
  • Apokh
    Apokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps- when you are that un-social playing other games would be better. At least in MMORPG Endgame socializing is a big benefit.
    Legenden
    Play@Feierabend mit der legendärsten Feierabendgilde.
    Besuch uns.
    Es ist besser zu schweigen und alle glauben zu lassen, man sei dumm, als den Mund aufzumachen und alle Zweifel zu beseitigen.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or stick it out another 11 levels till Undaunted Pledges become available, since that will considerably increase the pool of players that's doing dungeon runs.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is spot on along with the suggestions that follows...you can find groups if you try. However, the LFG tool is a utter JOKE! I honestly would pay for some of the devs. sub fee for a few months to play WoW and use their LFG tool...it may not be perfect, but its used and you are rewarded for using it...not a hard concept to figure out.

Hopefully the LFG tool will be fixed for console, I could see ESO console style hurting without a useful LGF tool. Boggles my mind how they were lazy when it came to this...this is not 1999, I am not in randome EQ1 zone yelling "CAMP CHECK" or saying "lvl 60 Monk lf Captains room" in Karnor's Castle.
    Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • Rissq
    Rissq
    I know what you mean, I love dungeons, especially in this game. But when I came back to this game a few weeks ago I was really disheartened to find out how bad the group finder tool has now become.

It wasn't always like this, it used to be a very easy and amazing tool. I'm not sure if it's level scaling that ruined it, or a low population of player or both. Hopefully if it's just underused that'll change by the end of march.

But the game is no fun without grouping, so I've had to step out of my comfort zone until the grouping tool is fixed. It helps to have a friends list. I'm leveling a DC character around that level, so if you're DC and need a group hit me up!
  • mikeskills4realb14_ESO
    mikeskills4realb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I agree I am now R6 and ive only done group dungeons a handful of times. Ive only seen the LFG tool work once or twice. Also I feel like the Vet ranks separate the population even more.

• Lord Xanhorn
    Lord Xanhorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I agree with the OP, I don't agree that its impossible to find groups. Having a LFG tool would certainly help foster group play and even provide a platform where new friendships and guild invites could flourish but not having it should not be a reason to not do any group content. It might be frustrating at times but it can be done.

When you say that you can't get a group together cause you don't want to spam zone chat or find a guild, you come off as sounding lazy and immature. This is why you get little sympathy from people here on this thread cause we are all in the same bucket and deal with the same challenges.
    I'm kind of a small deal!
  • di85ll
    di85ll
    While I agree with the OP, I don't agree that its impossible to find groups. Having a LFG tool would certainly help foster group play and even provide a platform where new friendships and guild invites could flourish but not having it should not be a reason to not do any group content. It might be frustrating at times but it can be done.

When you say that you can't get a group together cause you don't want to spam zone chat or find a guild, you come off as sounding lazy and immature. This is why you get little sympathy from people here on this thread cause we are all in the same bucket and deal with the same challenges.

I don't see it like that at all. Since I started playing MMO's I had to swallow the whole "oh if you don't like the social (your version of "social") aspect of it, go play a different game because this is not for you" . That is BS. People have different reasons for playing. Some people, like me, don't like chatting a lot. I like playing with others. I like doing dungeons with people. I like PVP. But I don't like to talk a lot and I don't like to listen to people talk. Just because he doesn't like chatting as much as you doesn't mean he isn't social. Geez. Not everyone is like you. SOME DON'T LIKE TO ASK EACH PERSON TO GROUP WITH THEM FOR EVERYTHING. Doesn't mean he is this or that. That is why every successful mmo has a LFG tool.

The bottom line is, It's 2015, and EVERY MMO should have a working LFG tool. That is basic logic. Get out of here with "you have to talk to everyone a lot and always to play mmo's, that's the best part, blah blah blah". That attitude really pisses me off. Stop telling people how they should play a game.
  • Lord Xanhorn
    Lord Xanhorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    di85ll wrote: »
    I don't see it like that at all. Since I started playing MMO's I had to swallow the whole "oh if you don't like the social (your version of "social") aspect of it, go play a different game because this is not for you" . That is BS. People have different reasons for playing. Some people, like me, don't like chatting a lot. I like playing with others. I like doing dungeons with people. I like PVP. But I don't like to talk a lot and I don't like to listen to people talk. Just because he doesn't like chatting as much as you doesn't mean he isn't social. Geez. Not everyone is like you. SOME DON'T LIKE TO ASK EACH PERSON TO GROUP WITH THEM FOR EVERYTHING. Doesn't mean he is this or that. That is why every successful mmo has a LFG tool.

The bottom line is, It's 2015, and EVERY MMO should have a working LFG tool. That is basic logic. Get out of here with "you have to talk to everyone a lot and always to play mmo's, that's the best part, blah blah blah". That attitude really pisses me off. Stop telling people how they should play a game.

You must have misread my post. I did not say that there should be no LFG tool or that he should be more social or play a certain way. I simply said that the LFG tool is broken, it should be fixed, it would be better over all if it worked but there are solutions to the problem. If you discount all the solutions as not viable then you come across as lazy since we are all dealing with the same LFG challenges. You are thinking that I said there was no problem at all which clearly I didn't.
    I'm kind of a small deal!
  • jeremiahbucher_ESO

Well said. I completely agree with you di85ll.
  • Dru1076
    Dru1076
    ✭✭✭✭

Totally agree. I only wanted to buy this game because it is Elder Scrolls, not because its a multiplayer. I, and quite a few others I know, would have much prefered it not to be. If the group tool worked correctly, as it should, then this thread would not exist... So telling people they need to harden up and use chat is not a solution... It's just a band- aid.
    Ask not what your sweetroll can do for you....