Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Math is hard

phtony06b14_ESO
phtony06b14_ESO
✭✭✭
I was trying to see if it would be possible to get eligible for the 270 and 300 day loyalty gifts.

As of 2/23/15 I will have paid for 210 sub days. Since the renewal isn't until 3/23/15 I'm guessing even if I switched my sub to a 90 day auto renewal I would still be short since the cut off is 3/17/15.

Math students. Do your thing & let me know please.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a math student, but yeah, that's how it works. You'd have to add two time cards to make the cut.
  • phtony06b14_ESO
    phtony06b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    I'm not a math student, but yeah, that's how it works. You'd have to add two time cards to make the cut.

Ah yes time cards...had forgotten about those as I use CCARDs exclusively. *Taps chin as if I was cooking in ESO*

Thanks for the idea.
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, $60 for a vanity item? You know that subbing when Tamriel Unlimited arrives is pointless beyond the xp bonus until new content arrives, right?
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you add those time cards now... whatever number of months you go past the ESO:TU release you also get 1500C for that time... so you'd be coming out on top!
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lionxoft wrote: »
    Damn, $60 for a vanity item? You know that subbing when Tamriel Unlimited arrives is pointless beyond the xp bonus until new content arrives, right?
    Except that the sub also gives you crowns at a rate of $1 = 100 crowns (a $15 1 month sub gives you 1500 crowns). As long as you were likely to spend those crowns anyway, and as long as that exchange rate isn't significantly worse that the rate for flat-out buying crowns with cash, then the sub is totally worth it even without new content. You know that, right?
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • phtony06b14_ESO
    phtony06b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Yes I am very aware. My top player is only VR 8 & if I have to grind another 6 VR levels I may have to hurt a kitten.

I have decided against the time card thing as I'm not altogether that excited about the mount even though I'll probably still be subbed 3 months down the road.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Except that the sub also gives you crowns at a rate of $1 = 100 crowns (a $15 1 month sub gives you 1500 crowns). As long as you were likely to spend those crowns anyway, and as long as that exchange rate isn't significantly worse that the rate for flat-out buying crowns with cash, then the sub is totally worth it even without new content. You know that, right?

Yeah, this is what I was about to say, the vanity item and sixty bucks of fake real money currency. So, it's not a complete wash if there's stuff in the shop that looks fun.
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess your value of "totally worth it" differs from mine. Crappy looking costumes and other garbage like that has no value to me.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess your value of "totally worth it" differs from mine. Crappy looking costumes and other garbage like that has no value to me.
    I guess you either missed or didn't understand the part in my post where I said "as long as you were likely to spend those crowns anyway". Of course, you know what else, other than "crappy looking costumes and other garbage like that" you can spend those crowns on? New DLC when it comes out.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess you either missed or didn't understand the part in my post where I said "as long as you were likely to spend those crowns anyway". Of course, you know what else, other than "crappy looking costumes and other garbage like that" you can spend those crowns on? New DLC when it comes out.

You actually think that DLC will remain purchasable by crowns? My guess is they will start offering the DLC using either a separate in-game currency apart from crowns which is not accrued via sub each month or limit it strictly to CC transaction from the Zenimax store here on the website. Another game which ZO$ mimics quite a bit and will be it's direct competition on PS and soon to be XB1 did the same thing and pulled it's DLC from the cash shop and made it CC transaction only for the exact reason you mentioned.

I can predict the DLC cost at around $10-$15 per DLC pack. A yearly subscription will cost you $167.88 if you buy it in 90 day packages. You do the math and tell me that's worth it.

How many DLC packs are you expecting them to churn out per year? Quarterly release schedule maybe? In order for you to get your money's worth the DLC packs would have to cost $40+ per pack which is insanity at it's finest compared to other f2p (b2p or whatever. At $17 for a box it's basically f2p) DLC packs in the console market. You have to remember that the business model will do what is necessary to survive on the console market. PC doesn't matter to them.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That akward moment when you go to click on the "agree" button, and then see the count go down because you've already done that.

@Lionxoft I get that you're paranoid about the B2P transition. I'd be willing to guess this isn't the first time it's happened to you, and I've got decent news, you're not the only one there.

But, it's ultimately phtony's choice. If he likes what he sees in the crown shop, then it's his money to spend, and his entertainment being bought, not yours. You're not the arbiter of anyone's tastes except your own.
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That akward moment when you go to click on the "agree" button, and then see the count go down because you've already done that.

@Lionxoft I get that you're paranoid about the B2P transition. I'd be willing to guess this isn't the first time it's happened to you, and I've got decent news, you're not the only one there.

But, it's ultimately phtony's choice. If he likes what he sees in the crown shop, then it's his money to spend, and his entertainment being bought, not yours. You're not the arbiter of anyone's tastes except your own.

Paranoid? Quite the opposite. I'm glad it's going B2P because it isn't worth the fee now and was not worth a subscription fee for the last few months. Sadly, I purchased my game time in a lump sum expecting ZOS to hold to their fictitious update schedule.

The game going B2P means I get to hang out with my friends in-game without giving ZOS another dollar that they did not earn. I also don't have to wonder when ZOS will release Imperial City or PvP content during my sub period. This game needed B2P because they can't charge a subscription for it in it's current state without conning players into buying frivolous items that they probably won't use more than once in-game. Example: The wedding dress. How many times can an RP'ing community member get married?

Geez, I really should go into the business of selling worthless crap to people. It's amazing what people will pay for things.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Paranoid? Quite the opposite. I'm glad it's going B2P because it isn't worth the fee now and was not worth a subscription fee for the last few months. Sadly, I purchased my game time in a lump sum expecting ZOS to hold to their fictitious update schedule.

The game going B2P means I get to hang out with my friends in-game without giving ZOS another dollar that they did not earn. I also don't have to wonder when ZOS will release Imperial City or PvP content during my sub period. This game needed B2P because they can't charge a subscription for it in it's current state without conning players into buying frivolous items that they probably won't use more than once in-game. Example: The wedding dress. How many times can an RP'ing community member get married?

Geez, I really should go into the business of selling worthless crap to people. It's amazing what people will pay for things.

Well, what are you waiting for? Steam Greenlight's got ya covered. :p
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, what are you waiting for? Steam Greenlight's got ya covered. :p

Well, I need the "LOL" button for it's actual purpose so instead I'll give ya an awesome. :dizzy: Touche, my friend. Touche. Don't get me started on early access or preorder bonuses.
    Edited by Lionxoft on March 1, 2015 9:54AM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You actually think that DLC will remain purchasable by crowns? My guess is they will start offering the DLC using either a separate in-game currency apart from crowns which is not accrued via sub each month or limit it strictly to CC transaction from the Zenimax store here on the website. Another game which ZO$ mimics quite a bit and will be it's direct competition on PS and soon to be XB1 did the same thing and pulled it's DLC from the cash shop and made it CC transaction only for the exact reason you mentioned.
    Ah, OK, I didn't realize it was tinfoil hat time. ZOS has specifically stated that DLC will be purchasable with crowns, and frankly it would be kind of dumb for them to remove one of the incentives for people to pay a sub.
    I can predict the DLC cost at around $10-$15 per DLC pack. A yearly subscription will cost you $167.88 if you buy it in 90 day packages. You do the math and tell me that's worth it.
    *facepalm* Nobody is talking about $167.88 here. We're talking about spending $60 to keep a sub active for a couple of months. Your math is based on a completely different situation than what everyone else in this thread is talking about. That makes it entirely irrelevant.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, OK, I didn't realize it was tinfoil hat time. ZOS has specifically stated that DLC will be purchasable with crowns, and frankly it would be kind of dumb for them to remove one of the incentives for people to pay a sub.
    *facepalm* Nobody is talking about $167.88 here. We're talking about spending $60 to keep a sub active for a couple of months. Your math is based on a completely different situation than what everyone else in this thread is talking about. That makes it entirely irrelevant.

Why would ZO$ miss out on a significant boost to their revenue? Also, this thread is indeed about a pet. You're right but you did bring up the concept of purchasing DLC with the crowns gained from the sub time purchased.

I think it's nearsighted and even pretty foolish to think that ZOS will miss out on a chance to cash in with my mentioned method. I'm sure you called people tin foil hat people during the F2P/B2P rumors before the announcement. Sure, ZOS said that DLC will be in the crown shop but that doesn't mean that it will *remain* on the crown shop.

Just an example of why this method is beneficial to them and I don't see them passing it up:
    Player A is a subscriber with over 30,000 crowns on his account, no DLC purchases and will have limited time to play for the next few months. He absolutely fell in love with DLC pack 1 and decided that he wanted to purchase it and discontinue his sub. As ZOS discontinued DLC purchase via crowns Player A must open his wallet again.

So ZOS cashed in on his sub time AND will cash in on his DLC purchase. Didn't think I needed to explain this but - well, it happened anyways. I think that the subscription actually loses it's benefit in the long run because there really will be no reason to subscribe once you buy all the DLC available which is a stretch because I doubt all of them will actually be good. If they want to keep the subscription benefits desirable then they will need to do more than the 1,500 crowns and other minor benefits. Gold caps/escrow suck but I could see ZOS pulling that one as well.

Nothing is off the table with them. I hope at this point you realize that the phrase "We currently have no plans" shows about as much commitment as a Hollywood marriage.

Edited by Lionxoft on March 2, 2015 4:43PM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would ZO$ miss out on a significant boost to their revenue? Also, this thread is indeed about a pet. You're right but you did bring up the concept of purchasing DLC with the crowns gained from the sub time purchased.
    Yes, I did - when we were specifically talking about $60 worth of sub time purchased. I'm not sure how you missed that and for some reason jumped to a full year of sub time. Probably just because you realized that your argument made way less sense when we were talking about a short term subscription.
    I think it's nearsighted and even pretty foolish to think that ZOS will miss out on a chance to cash in with my mentioned method. I'm sure you called people tin foil hat people during the F2P/B2P rumors before the announcement.
    Aaaand, you're wrong. I was one of the people saying "I hope they don't" and "let's stop harping about this and making every thread about when ESO is going F2P" and "what indications do you see that lead you to believe that" but I was never one of the people saying they were crazy for thinking it would go F2P/B2P.
    Just an example of why this method is beneficial to them and I don't see them passing it up:
    Player A is a subscriber with over 30,000 crowns on his account, no DLC purchases and will have limited time to play for the next few months. He absolutely fell in love with DLC pack 1 and decided that he wanted to purchase it and discontinue his sub. As ZOS discontinued DLC purchase via crowns Player A must open his wallet again.
    Except that he won't. He'll be pissed off, cancel his sub, and probably leave the game. If ZOS is thinking long-term at all, then they would never make the change that you think is beneficial to them. Not only would it *** off subscribers who had subscribed partly because they planned on using some of their crowns to buy DLC, but it would also *** off non-subscribers who had purchased crowns that they didn't use right away, but were planning on using to buy DLC. If ZOS is just thinking in terms of short-term cash grab, then yes they might make the change that you expect them to make (although it likely won't give them any measurable benefit, even in the short term). If they are hoping to build customer loyalty, though, then they won't.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I did - when we were specifically talking about $60 worth of sub time purchased. I'm not sure how you missed that and for some reason jumped to a full year of sub time. Probably just because you realized that your argument made way less sense when we were talking about a short term subscription.
    I think it's nearsighted and even pretty foolish to think that ZOS will miss out on a chance to cash in with my mentioned method. I'm sure you called people tin foil hat people during the F2P/B2P rumors before the announcement.
    Aaaand, you're wrong. I was one of the people saying "I hope they don't" and "let's stop harping about this and making every thread about when ESO is going F2P" and "what indications do you see that lead you to believe that" but I was never one of the people saying they were crazy for thinking it would go F2P/B2P.
    Except that he won't. He'll be pissed off, cancel his sub, and probably leave the game. If ZOS is thinking long-term at all, then they would never make the change that you think is beneficial to them. Not only would it *** off subscribers who had subscribed partly because they planned on using some of their crowns to buy DLC, but it would also *** off non-subscribers who had purchased crowns that they didn't use right away, but were planning on using to buy DLC. If ZOS is just thinking in terms of short-term cash grab, then yes they might make the change that you expect them to make (although it likely won't give them any measurable benefit, even in the short term). If they are hoping to build customer loyalty, though, then they won't.

Bolded for humor. You're living in another dimension my friend. That "Loyalty" gift which this thread is about is essentially on the cash shop already haha. They basically said and I'm paraphrasing of course "Well, you weren't very loyal to us before but if you pay us more money now we will consider you a loyal customer even though you were not one.".

I think that example alone shows that ZOS doesn't really care about their customer loyalty but is rather using it as a facade to buff the bottom line essentially grasping for subs until console launch is underway. I can't blame them for wanting to make money off it though but it further solidifies my stance that at some point down the road DLC will not be available via crowns only CC transactions. Let's be completely honest with ourselves. It opens more streams of revenue for them and they will seize that opportunity. Development isn't free and ZOS knows that.

We've already seen their direct console competition do this exact same thing and it worked out in their favor with little backlash. Probably because they gave notice 366 days in advance but as seen in the thread a lot of people had no clue the date was creeping up and just realized that it was indeed the most logical move.

I'll quote the first page of responses from their forums.
    Smartest Thing They've done in a while imo. about damn time.

It was crazy to basically sell DLC's for free. It isn't a smart business plan.
    It's about time they did this. Makes so much sense to do so BUT I would be angry if they took away my monthly 500
    Oh yea, I am sure not to many PC players are going to be thrilled about this. But, it's for the greater good of the business side
    I thought they did this awhile back?
    They announced their intention to do this some time ago (I am thinking like a year ago, but I could be off). Honestly, I am surprised they waited this long to finally implement it.

About the only thing I can see raging about is the relatively little notice. So if I wanted to buy some DLCs with <snip> I would have, say a week rather then a day, in which to do it.

Otherwise, sorry not feeling the rage (and even the notice thing isn't worth raging over)
    They should have done this when it was originally posted in 2012. No way they could keep going with basically giving away DLC's.
    we have expected this for a while.
    Nah that won't make us rage at all. They announced they were gonna do this a year ago and for some reason postponed it. It is very smart of them and they should have done it a long time ago. I mean I am <snip> and I already bought every DLC up to <snip> for $3.33 each just in case I ever want to go to <snip> for a bit. That is just darn silly in all honesty. lol.
    It was expected.
    Sorry op, you didn't saw any rage from pc players today.
    I didn't know this was happening but I'm all for it.

It always confused me why they'd do content in this way. Same with Loyalty Points: "Yeah, don't worry about paying for that. I don't need to eat..."

If people are paying for content, we get more content. More content, more happy players. That's a win/win in my book.
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I am very aware. My top player is only VR 8 & if I have to grind another 6 VR levels I may have to hurt a kitten.

I have decided against the time card thing as I'm not altogether that excited about the mount even though I'll probably still be subbed 3 months down the road.

And you can use those crowns to purchase new content later
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Math *is* hard.

Most people can't even get this one right:

"What is half of 2 + 2?"
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »
    Math *is* hard.

"What is half of 2 + 2?"

My 4 year old can answer that, silly

I doubt it.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    df10.gif
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Math *is* hard.

"What is half of 2 + 2?"

The answer is 3.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Math *is* hard.

"What is half of 2 + 2?"
    Tbh, I'd accept both 2 and 3. It's presented ambiguously on purpose. Give me a formula, not words, and I can answer.
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Math *is* hard.

"What is half of 2 + 2?"
    Tbh, I'd accept both 2 and 3. It's presented ambiguously on purpose. Give me a formula, not words, and I can answer.

The rules of Operand Precedence apply whether its written in formula or words. :D

Therefore, 2 is always wrong.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Math *is* hard.

"What is half of 2 + 2?"

The rules of Operand Precedence apply whether its written in formula or words. :D

Therefore, 2 is always wrong.
    I don't disagree, but I can't help feeling that it's completely reasonable for my mind to automatically separate the verbal and numerical parts of the question. If I had to answer, I'd say 3, but if I was the one asking, I honestly wouldn't expect a clear answer to an unclear question. :)