The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

NB - Ambush Worth It For PvE?

Vanchatron
Vanchatron
✭✭
I'm level 30 at the moment, and have two skill bars... One is for single target DPS and the other is for AoE DPS (3-4 mobs or more).

I was just wondering, for my single target DPS bar is Ambush really worth it? I know it teleports you to the target, and can increase the damage of your next attack by a certain % although it seems that the skill is only really useful ONCE per fight (to open with), and then goes unused until the target is dead. I can't see any real reason to use it once the target is aware of you, and you're within melee range.

Therefore it's not been used on my bar at all, as I feel that using a skill slot for a skill that's only gonna be used once/twice per fight is a waste.

Am I missing something? Should I be using it for PvE?

At the moment, I have my opener as Swallow Soul which allows me to use it at range and pull a mob to me (I don't use a bow, only dual wield) and also start the 10 seconds worth of healing on myself which should allow me greater sustain throughout the fight.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Its great for ganking, and in 1.6 it will be a stamina morph, making stamina based NBs very powerful rogues.

Its also an OK gap closer, though it is interruptable by crushing shock and venom arrow, which is why i never used it for gap closing.
    Edited by Cody on February 23, 2015 10:15PM
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Lotus Fan (the other morph) for PvE while I'm Tanking since NB's have crap for AOE abilities. Although I'll probably change that to Refreshing Path in 1.6 as it's getting a decent boost and I alternate that with Lotus Fan as it is. Ambush for PvE is meh other than while solo'ing and not taking on groups of NPC's.
  • Vanchatron
    Vanchatron
    ✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    I use Lotus Fan (the other morph) for PvE

That's a good idea actually, my AoE bar is missing a couple of AoE skills so I might add that. Does it do decent AoE damage?
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does ok DPS but I don't use it because it's good DPS I use it to help gain threat on packs of NPC's while Tanking. it's also a great way to move around when you get CC'd by NPC's.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanchatron wrote: »
    I'm level 30 at the moment, and have two skill bars... One is for single target DPS and the other is for AoE DPS (3-4 mobs or more).

I was just wondering, for my single target DPS bar is Ambush really worth it? I know it teleports you to the target, and can increase the damage of your next attack by a certain % although it seems that the skill is only really useful ONCE per fight (to open with), and then goes unused until the target is dead. I can't see any real reason to use it once the target is aware of you, and you're within melee range.

Therefore it's not been used on my bar at all, as I feel that using a skill slot for a skill that's only gonna be used once/twice per fight is a waste.

Am I missing something? Should I be using it for PvE?

At the moment, I have my opener as Swallow Soul which allows me to use it at range and pull a mob to me (I don't use a bow, only dual wield) and also start the 10 seconds worth of healing on myself which should allow me greater sustain throughout the fight.

Well, buffing a large attack or Ultimate by 30% is pretty useful at any time, tbh.

But you're right, for solo PvE it's rarely necessary to use it more than once in a fight. The same could be said for many skills, though, like Assassin's Blade. In solo PvE, I pretty much only execute mobs once per fight, but I still find it worth it to have on my bar.

Ymmv, of course. : )
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find gap closers in PVE useful even during a fight. You always get the group of mobs that will spread out like casters and archers. It doesn't have to be a long distance to be able to use the ability again. Plus I just like to have it as the opener especially when there is a healer in the group. Ambush and another big attack to kill that healer right away before you start the aoe attacks.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cody wrote: »
    Its great for ganking, and in 1.6 it will be a stamina morph, making stamina based NBs very powerful rogues.

Its also an OK gap closer, though it is interruptable by crushing shock and venom arrow, which is why i never used it for gap closing.
    Isn't it going to be insta-cast in 1.6? That makes it more appealing I think.

Currently I use ambush from stealth as my fight-starter, both in pve and pvp. In Pve I follow it up with a Wrecking blow (2h skill) for some good damage. This will be much more effective in 1.6 when Ambush is stamina based and gives me even more damage in my stam build.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "You Crit xxxxxxxxxx for 1216 with Ambush"

Yep, most of the time I only need to use it once, but it's not a bad opener :)