Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

The game wont save any information anymore

neueregel
neueregel
✭✭✭
My game was working fine until this morning. I logged on and it was like it was the first time, asked me to accept terms, set video... I made sure the game was set to run in admin mode, it was - never changed it from when I first set it. Made sure the shortcut and exe were both not set to read only. I made sure that the documents folder was not set to read only. I created a txt file, added content and saved the file in the Live folder to validate... I then uninstalled the game, removed the original folders and validated all above again... now the game does the same thing, but it wont even create the Elder Scrolls Online folder in my documents folder, let alone the Live folder which stores the settings files to save the settings. Again, both the launcher and exe are both set to run as admin, they are not read only. I have full permissions to everything, I am a local/domain admin on this PC. I can write to all folders where the game needs access to.
Are you not entertained?
On my command, unleash hell!
What we do in life echoes in eternity
  • Panda244
    Panda244
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    neueregel wrote: »
    My game was working fine until this morning. I logged on and it was like it was the first time, asked me to accept terms, set video... I made sure the game was set to run in admin mode, it was - never changed it from when I first set it. Made sure the shortcut and exe were both not set to read only. I made sure that the documents folder was not set to read only. I created a txt file, added content and saved the file in the Live folder to validate... I then uninstalled the game, removed the original folders and validated all above again... now the game does the same thing, but it wont even create the Elder Scrolls Online folder in my documents folder, let alone the Live folder which stores the settings files to save the settings. Again, both the launcher and exe are both set to run as admin, they are not read only. I have full permissions to everything, I am a local/domain admin on this PC. I can write to all folders where the game needs access to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you launch the game, it asks you to accept the Terms of Service, then adjust your gamma, and when you finally get to the log in screen your name isn't there, and all your Audio/Video/Addons settings have been changed to default?

If this is the case, open your ESO folder, find "Settings.ini" where all your Video/Audio settings are stored, it should look like a text file and open like one, find that, and make sure there's a check-mark in the little box that says "Read Only" If there isn't, then click it so that it is.

That's what Customer Support told me to do when I had this problem, and it fixed it.
    Aldmeri Dominion For Life!
    Crassus Licinius II - DK - V14 - Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade NA (The Dragonknight that refuses to go Vampire.)
    N'tel Arlena - NB - V14 - Retired Sap Tank of Haderus NA, Harasser of Many (Also, not a vampire. Goes by nickname Nutella.)

#FreeZazeer
    #FreeGooey
    #FreeAsgari
    #FreeAoE
    #FreeSubtomik
    #FreeMBF

Officially Resigned From Cyrodiil As Of 4/15/15 10:24 PM EST.
  • neueregel
    neueregel
    ✭✭✭
    Panda244 wrote: »
    neueregel wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you launch the game, it asks you to accept the Terms of Service, then adjust your gamma, and when you finally get to the log in screen your name isn't there, and all your Audio/Video/Addons settings have been changed to default?

If this is the case, open your ESO folder, find "Settings.ini" where all your Video/Audio settings are stored, it should look like a text file and open like one, find that, and make sure there's a check-mark in the little box that says "Read Only" If there isn't, then click it so that it is.

That's what Customer Support told me to do when I had this problem, and it fixed it.

No, I accept the ToS and set Gamma... log in and all my players are there. I have no addons. I log off. Relaunch and It does the same thing again. It will not save any info or recognize my addons.
    Are you not entertained?
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There might be something wrong with your configuration file or its access rights. Go to the following location and delete or rename the file. Then try again.

Windows - NA Megaserver:
    <Documents>\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt

Windows - EU Megaserver:
    <Documents>\Elder Scrolls Online\liveeu\UserSettings.txt

MacOS X - NA Megaserver:
    ~\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt

MacOS X - EU Megaserver:
    ~\Elder Scrolls Online\liveeu\UserSettings.txt
    Edited by Smaxx on February 25, 2015 3:20PM
  • neueregel
    neueregel
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Smaxx, but the game wouldnt even create a <Documents>\Elder Scrolls Online directory to begin with, which was the main problem.

I got it working just now. I uninstalled the program again (second time) and went through the whole PC and deleted any file/folder that reference ESO. then I downloaded the game again. I came on this morning and I logged in, it saved my info. I then added all my addons and now it is back to normal again. I have no idea what screwed it all up to begin with though.
    Are you not entertained?
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @neueregel,

Glad to hear that its resolved! The settings that allow you to skip the intro video/gamma settings/TOS confirmation are saved to the Usersettings.txt file in the documents folder. As the documents folder was not present, it makes sense that the settings weren't getting saved.

Should this occur again, using the repair option will restore the documents folder, and should save time over a reinstallation. To do this, simply open the launcher, click on Game Options above the news articles, and select repair.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • neueregel
    neueregel
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_GaryA wrote: »
    Hey there @neueregel,

Glad to hear that its resolved! The settings that allow you to skip the intro video/gamma settings/TOS confirmation are saved to the Usersettings.txt file in the documents folder. As the documents folder was not present, it makes sense that the settings weren't getting saved.

Should this occur again, using the repair option will restore the documents folder, and should save time over a reinstallation. To do this, simply open the launcher, click on Game Options above the news articles, and select repair.

Thanks, I tried the repair. I tried reinstalling as well. Nothing would recreate the folder. Not sure what made it work this last re-installation.
    Are you not entertained?