The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is there a good beginner guide to class/skills for someone new to ES series?

Carol
Carol
Soul Shriven
Hi, I only just started, already love this game, but I'm finding the skill and class-mixing system very confusing. I'm used to single class/trait line mmo's so really haven't a clue what I should do here. I have tried google searches for beginners guides but either they don't cover this or they assume you have some understanding already. I would be very grateful if anyone knows of a good link to explain the choices and how it all work in simple language.

Thank you
  • Lord Xanhorn
    Lord Xanhorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not really. This game does ease you into things very slowly which in your case might be a good thing. Give you time to really try out different things. Its basically do whatever skills you want and use whatever weapon and armor you want anytime. Sure there are optimal builds but nearly every skill will aid you in progression.
    I'm kind of a small deal!
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a link that will help you out. It will give you an overview of the classes, races, crafting and lock picking. When you've decided on the Class you want to try, view the different races to see which one has abilities that will work well with your class.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/elder-scrolls-online-beginners-guide-classes-racial-skills-crafting-and-lockpicking

NA Server - Kildair
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carol wrote: »
    I'm used to single class/trait line mmo's so really haven't a clue what I should do here.

The link above will help you. However this will too:

You have 3 Skill Lines for your Class. You want to have 2 to 3 of them on your skill bar at all times for the benefits you get, and, well, these skills are the reason you picked that class. Later on, you may only use 1 or 2 Class Skills, but for now, try to have at least one ability from each skill on your bar. Then you have Weapon skills that may or may not compliment or contrast your Class Skills. It all depends, but try to have 1 or 2 of your Weapon skills on the bar.

Another thing you can do to preserve resources is to mix up Abilities that use Stamina and Magic, so you deplete Magic using those abilities, then use the Stamina ones, then go back to the magic ones.

The other key to this game is moving around. Standing in front of a Mob is usually not the best way to do things. Running backwards and using Light Attacks or spamming spells is a perfectly acceptable way to win a fight.

Also, when you see a 3 Mob somewhere, one of them almost always walks away at some point, wait for that, then take out the single one as you won't alert the other two (assuming the single got far enough away before you engaged) then you can take on the other two.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• pikapp515_ESO
    pikapp515_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Google "Deltia Gaming" and use his web site. He has both web pages going over things like race choices, class, weapon, and world skill lines, concept combo's along with lots of you tube videos. Watch his Tamriel A to Z stuff.
  • Wicked_Wolf
    Wicked_Wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    www.deltiasgaming.com is a great site for what you're looking for. There are guides there for practically everything, for both new and veteran players. Plus, Deltia is great about answering any questions directly. Check it out.
  • snowmanflvb14_ESO
    snowmanflvb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://deltiasgaming.com/ is great place to learn about the game. What is nice is he is updating everything already for 1.6
    Magic is impressive but now Minsc leads SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!!