The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Disappointed that NPC guild quests are identical across the Alliances

Basil_oz
Basil_oz
✭✭✭
As the title says, I was a little disappointed that the quest lines are identical for each of the NPC guilds in each Alliance.

I can understand the main quest being identical, but I would have hoped that the mage, fighters and undaunted guilds would have some variation in their quest lines from those of the other Alliances. I mean these guilds are independent in each Alliance; you would think that each Alliance zone would have their own storyline in regard to these guilds.

What say you?
NA Mega-server
Basilthwaite - male Nord Templar Ebonheart Pact (unwittingly looks like Hulk Hogan. Trying to find some bright gold breeches to match the persona.)

Arwen Basilrond - female Wood Elf Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion (this character is smoken', but she's been advised to quite due to 'elf reasons!)

Sir Basil Ozarian - male Imperial Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant (this character is titled, but not entitled!)
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the sheer amount of quests already in the game across each faction, I didn't have a problem with those being the same. They are quite large quests and I imagine that a lot of effort went into each, so redoing each factions guild quests would have been a huge undertaking. Perhaps they could have used the same locales but used different voice and text.
    Options
  • ArgonianAssassin
    ArgonianAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, I at the very least wasn't expecting the same characters, how are Aelif and Merric at 3 places at once, seems weird, same for Valaste. . .Just weird. I think adding side quests related to the indiviudal province leaders would've been cool, you know for EP you get the Skyrim/Black Marsh/Morrowind representatives and quests from them in their respective provinces, giving out missions for some specific, less daedra related contracts in that zone, like the fighters guild in Skyrim could have you go hunt down some rebels who are harassing x village or something like that.
    "It is okay to fear the night, even the bravest warriors are filled with fright, at the sight of the might of Sithis' fang, let the blood be washed away by the rain, let the stains forever remain, another life taken in Sithis' name, another soul for the void. All hail our Dread Father and his consort, the Night Mother." -Stalks-His-Prey
    Options
  • Captainkrunch96
    Captainkrunch96
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I kind of agree with @ArgonianAssasin on the whole reperasentatives for specific factions thing. it did not feel like a guild from the previous games but more like a very long story quest. While I liked the main story for the guilds, they could have had a few side quests that were optional.
    Edited by Captainkrunch96 on May 10, 2014 2:37AM
    Options
  • Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭
    Bit weird but I can live with it. ;-)
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People would complain if they were faction specific, and say the Pact version is harder than the others (feel free to replace Pact with Dominion/covenent)
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    Since the intro to the guild chat states that they, the guild, are not faction specific nor do they have political or military ties, then yes the lore make sense that the guild quests are the same across all factions.

I'd say the EP guild quests are a bit harder to get to, though.. the mobs seem tougher... cough cough cough.
    Options
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    People would complain if they were faction specific, and say the Pact version is harder than the others (feel free to replace Pact with Dominion/covenent)

Better complains then not to have it at all :(
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mandragora wrote: »

Better complains then not to have it at all :(

I know, I would have liked some variety myself (since I levelled up all three factions at the same time, I did the same quests three times in a row).

But I was giving the reason they chose not to do it.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I felt - given that, as you say, they are faction independent - that at least that portion made sense.

Plus, the player point of view is of one character playing for one faction, not an altaholic MMO player playing for all three and, thus, would know they're all the same.

The hard part for me, that strained credibility and my conscience, was playing for the other two factions.

If you play for the Pact you see the Dominion commit genocide and infanticide. I'm sorry, but the keeper's vanishing plea for the unborn to return to the void and reject existence, stayed with me at the hatching pools. And that queen of theirs is not some female *** or Stalin? I cannot kill her, I cannot try to over throw her when I get there?

This made about as much sense to me as playing Castle Wolfenstein and, after playing the missions, being told that now I'm a *** and I'll kill allied troops.

Early in the game, first there's Bleakrock. Then Bal Foyen where an Argonian in a trembling voice tells me that they tried to surrender to the Covenant. "But they weren't interesting in prisoners. They just gutted us and threw us into the sea."

I'm going to play for the Covenant?

So I tell myself it's a game. And sometimes I can convince myself of that too.
    Options
  • Kraven
    Kraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing was, initially you did one faction and if you wanted to do another faction's story you did it with an alt. This added replay value, but people screamed and cried "I want to do it all on one character!" so a knee jerk decision was made to open up silver and gold. This was not thought out at all and has had a negative affect on much of the game, including the vet system. Luckily due to that negative side we get the upcoming champion system.

All in all, while I absolutely love some of the quest lines. They are all, every one of them, superficial and shallow. This annoys me. By making games easier they've taken depth out them. There is no faction system so no matter what you do no one is going to hate you for your actions. There is no options that matter, no matter what choice you do choose in the very quests that offer a choice the result is always the same.

There is no long and involved quest, like epic quest lines that make you feel proud of getting them accomplished. The simple fact that anyone can use any weapon means that an epic weapon quest line would be perfect, you don't have to make long drawn out quest lines for 10-15 classes just for 6 weapons, and any new weapons if we ever see them. "No plans at this time for new weapons."

The guild and story quests are meant to be the long quest chains, the only thing that makes them long is the level requirement. If you wait until 45 you can do all 3 extremely quickly. Even with scaling them up. I love the combat and I love the group content but the quest lines? They're beyond mind numbingly boring after the first time.

Titles like Morrowind and Oblivion had depth, choices you made mattered, old MMOs like EQ had similar features, choices mattered because you could make entire cities hate or love you. If you worked toward it you could walk unmolested through an apposing races home city, yours would probably hate you but that was the price you paid. The new watered down mmos, lack that depth, nothing matters, much like Skyriim. It didn't matter which "side" you chose nothing Really changed.
    V14 - IMPERIAL NIGHTBLADE - DPS/TANK
    V13 - BRETON SORCERER - HEALS/DPS
    V2 - REDGUARD DRAGONKNIGHT - MELEE DPS
    V1 - BRETON TEMPLAR - TANK/DPS

to be continued... Nevermind, no longer "to be continued"
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I felt - given that, as you say, they are faction independent - that at least that portion made sense.

Plus, the player point of view is of one character playing for one faction, not an altaholic MMO player playing for all three and, thus, would know they're all the same.

The hard part for me, that strained credibility and my conscience, was playing for the other two factions.

If you play for the Pact you see the Dominion commit genocide and infanticide. I'm sorry, but the keeper's vanishing plea for the unborn to return to the void and reject existence, stayed with me at the hatching pools. And that queen of theirs is not some female *** or Stalin? I cannot kill her, I cannot try to over throw her when I get there?

This made about as much sense to me as playing Castle Wolfenstein and, after playing the missions, being told that now I'm a *** and I'll kill allied troops.

Early in the game, first there's Bleakrock. Then Bal Foyen where an Argonian in a trembling voice tells me that they tried to surrender to the Covenant. "But they weren't interesting in prisoners. They just gutted us and threw us into the sea."

I'm going to play for the Covenant?

So I tell myself it's a game. And sometimes I can convince myself of that too.
    I imagine if Ayrenn and Emeric actually knew what their generals were doing, they would be appalled. They are not bad people, and that is what Silver and Gold are trying to convince you of.
    (I also found it a bit interesting that the Dominion and Covenant are invading each other and the Pact, but that the Pact is not seen invading the Dominion and the Covenant.)
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • arqe
    arqe
    ✭✭✭
    Basil_oz wrote: »
    I mean these guilds are independent in each Alliance; you would think that each Alliance zone would have their own storyline in regard to these guilds.

What say you?

Since when Guilds are independent in Elder Scrolls Universe ? They dont belong to any Alliance. They fight and live for Tamriel not for an Alliance. Just like Main Quest in ESO , they are all linked and working for Tamriel's sake. So its not weird or bad for them to be the same or similiar.
    Options