The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

In-game pets - solo or with physical extras?

MorHawk
MorHawk
✭✭✭✭✭
K, so to date, every single virtual pet ZOS has sold has come with some kind of physical merch attached. Plastic mini figurines for the most part, with the occasional plush thrown in.

My question - would you like to see this policy change going forwards, or are you happy with the current set-up?
Edited by MorHawk on October 31, 2014 2:05PM
Observant wrote: »
I can count to potato.
another topic that cant see past its own farts.
WWJLHD?

In-game pets - solo or with physical extras? 84 votes

Leave it as it is - only sell pets with physical merchandise
9%
otis67ReymasLeijonaCoolsHisHandsAshySamuraiSotha_SilShnozthegreatub17_ESOCracklepop 8 votes
Only sell pets sans merch on the online store
9%
ZhoyzuThe_SpAwNstatic_rechargeDhariusDragsoothTommy83Arcane_ApeRodario 8 votes
Offer both - give us the choice
61%
Ysne58DaenerysPolskiBunny_ESOMorHawkGidorickGilvothWraithAzraieldaryl.rasmusenb14_ESORatatouilleKesstrylKalmanSeliqueyodasedsuperquadockyb14_ESOEnaijoMoonshadow66ZigoSidTurelusShadowHvoCaradawc 52 votes
Not bothered, I just want to see the results
19%
Udyrfrykteers101284b14_ESODominoidOolouRazourSamadhiGedalyakongkimkkidd0hstierlitzEisregenX90Sapheristhri11co11ectorRomoKreetarGyudan 16 votes
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When you pay a sub everything should've available in game with no extra money needed for any in game item ever. I should be able to get the guar and wolfhound without buying extra merchandise. I should e able to get the pig without going to a convention. Or at least some versions of them. But until everyone boycotts it and shows them we won't tolerate it they are going to keep doing it.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love pets have and have quite a few. Your poll is missing some options and your info is somewhat incorrect; for example you can purchase the Imperial Edition of ESO which comes with a vanity pet and is a digital purchase. The real fact is that to date the Vanity Pets have been bonuses; bonuses for pre-order, or as a part of the Imperial Edition or Third Party merchandise, and lets not forget the Quakecon Piglet. The one exception I think is the Dwemer spider which can be earned in-game.

I personally would like to see multiple options including: in-game pets that can be earned; bonuses (any of the above); and store purchases.

I've also been wondering why we haven't seen any additions to the digital store like pets and mounts since launch; I just want to give ZoS my money, whats the problem?!
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both. Different packages for different interests.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't buy pets, don't really care.

Love the guar plushie and guar pet that my girlfriend gave me though.

My obnoxious monkey is kind of cool too, but does not need a toy with it.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Leijona
    Leijona
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is - only sell pets with physical merchandise
    Actually, it is not only pets with physical merchandise.

Imperial edition mudcrab, explorer pack scuttler, beta tester monkey ...

I'm proud of my Bruno ... I mean, my guar and I like the fact, that not everyone has it.

I would love to have the dog, coming with the nord figurine. But having to pay twice the amount of money, just to get it to Europe? No thank you.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you pay a sub everything should've available in game with no extra money needed for any in game item ever. I should be able to get the guar and wolfhound without buying extra merchandise. I should e able to get the pig without going to a convention. Or at least some versions of them. But until everyone boycotts it and shows them we won't tolerate it they are going to keep doing it.
    Take your agenda elsewhere. This is simply about how they should sell pets, not whether or not they should.
    Gedalya wrote: »
    I love pets have and have quite a few. Your poll is missing some options and your info is somewhat incorrect; for example you can purchase the Imperial Edition of ESO which comes with a vanity pet and is a digital purchase. The real fact is that to date the Vanity Pets have been bonuses; bonuses for pre-order, or as a part of the Imperial Edition or Third Party merchandise, and lets not forget the Quakecon Piglet. The one exception I think is the Dwemer spider which can be earned in-game.

I personally would like to see multiple options including: in-game pets that can be earned; bonuses (any of the above); and store purchases.

I've also been wondering why we haven't seen any additions to the digital store like pets and mounts since launch; I just want to give ZoS my money, whats the problem?!

Both the Imperial Edition and con-piggy are special cases. The former is a whole bundle of digital goodies intended as a starter pack of sorts.The latter was a promo to say thanks for coming to their cons. There are others too, like the beta monkey as a thanks for helping out, the Explorer's Pack, a reward for pre-ordering, and the Ice Wraith for subbing for 3 months. All of these are promo items, and have no bearing on how they sell their regular products.

And your bolded sentence puzzles me. If you want that as an option, why on earth didn't you choose that option on the poll? lol
    Edited by MorHawk on October 31, 2014 2:25PM
    I can count to potato.
    WWJLHD?
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always good to have a choice.

Well, I always wanted to have the Guar pet, but since I live in Germany it's about double the price including the shipping cost for the plush, so I can't do that.

It's not only my loss, but also theirs. The ones who put the pets in the stores should consider this.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pets available through purchase of physical goods:
    Guar
    Wolfhound
    Kwama

Pets available through purchase of non physical goods:
    Mudcrabs (2 types) (Imperial Edition)
    Scuttler (explorer pack)
    Wraith (subscription)

Pets available through other qualifications:
    Monkey
    Pig

Pets available in game:
    Dwemer spider

overall, the current balance is relatively reasonable to me; however, would like to see more pets from in game quests like the Dwemer Spider.
    Wish that the Falcon reward from the Rift public dungeon was a pet rather than a trophy item.
    Edited by Samadhi on October 31, 2014 2:29PM
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @samadhi, I see what you're saying, but it's a bit short-sighted. Monkey, Mudcrab, Scuttler, Dwemer Spider - all of these dropped at launch. Realistically, how many new pets do you see coming from new quests? Hardly going to be a regular deal.

Look at what's happened in the 6 months since. Three pets sold with merc (Guar, Wolfhound and Kwama), one given away only at cons (Pig), and one as a gift for subs. Cons are a yearly thing that a very small percentage of the player base can get to, and I wouldn't expect the loyalty stuff to be pets every time.

That means then that, going forward, we can reasonably expect a new pet to be sold every 2-3 months, and maybe a couple of loyalty pets a year. My point is that of those that are sold, you're forking out ~$20, with around $5-15 shipping depending on location, for bit of tat you might not even want. That could get very pricey if you want all of them, and quite galling for those that only want the pets themselves.
    Edited by MorHawk on October 31, 2014 3:03PM
    I can count to potato.
    WWJLHD?
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would rather have the pets being sold alone BY FAR.

But ofc i agree that they should offer both options , the more choices we have , the better.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If it wasn't for the shipping fees I might have bought the Guar, it was a really nice toy, but with the fees, not a chance (I read the comments of people in Europe who did).

So let those who just want the pets, have the choice, but also allow people to buy with the toy, if they want too.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want pets that DO something.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

Good luck with that, but Vanity pets are just a vanity, and Devs don't seem to want to change that.

Mind you the Sorcerors Familiars and Twilights are quite nice.
    (My sorceror still has ten fingers and all, so they can't be that savage).
    Edited by AlexDougherty on October 31, 2014 3:48PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing is (if you mean attacking, f.e.), if they could, they also would be vulnerable themselves. I prefer to keep my pets ;)
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both options.

You can check my post here for information on how I think the store would best work and why it would still be beneficial to buy the deals/items where you get virtual items.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you mean combat pets, sorcs already have them of course, but everyone will get that option when spellcrafting arrives.
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest a solution that still keeps those who want the toys with bonuses buying.

Some games give you loyalty points. With enough of these, you can select which various pets you want to earn specifically (upon other things). They could also release them to this 'loyalty vendor' at a later time to allow toy buyers to 'have this first'. This will keep the commonality of those specific pets lower than just giving them to everyone.
    Edited by KenjiJU on November 1, 2014 11:17PM
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just imagined how it would look like if we could have all pets enabled at the same time, the word "carPET" would get a new meaning XD

• Naivefanboi
    Naivefanboi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    Pets available through purchase of physical goods:
    Guar
    Wolfhound
    Kwama

Pets available through purchase of non physical goods:
    Mudcrabs (2 types) (Imperial Edition)
    Scuttler (explorer pack)
    Wraith (subscription)

Pets available through other qualifications:
    Monkey
    Pig

Pets available in game:
    Dwemer spider

overall, the current balance is relatively reasonable to me; however, would like to see more pets from in game quests like the Dwemer Spider.
    Wish that the Falcon reward from the Rift public dungeon was a pet rather than a trophy item.
    i havent spent the time to actually look it up, but if these numbers are accurate. its not really a trend i want to support.
    the only reason i like pets is because i assume there is some kind of effort "in game" involved in "earning" them....i like pets as a unique reward for playing the game. hide them in the massive world youve built.
    hell you could even tie in pets to social event for holidays.....oh wait just kidding there are no holidays in the game, event never happen in tamriel im sure thats 100% lore accurate
    no lets put 1 pet in game....make the rest require some extra nonsense that doesnt even require gameplay...
    heres an idea, ques thru the veteran faction zones maybe get a pet at the end of 2nd and 3rd zone? nah why involve gameplay.
  • Naivefanboi
    Naivefanboi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »

If you mean combat pets, sorcs already have them of course, but everyone will get that option when spellcrafting arrives.
    riiight i guess this means they will no longer be adding a "conjuring/summoning" line supposedly for people who wanna be minion masters.

• Cendrillion21
    Cendrillion21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Choice is always great, I only want the in-game stuff tho.
    Campos de oro
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    riiight i guess this means they will no longer be adding a "conjuring/summoning" line supposedly for people who wanna be minion masters.

I'm not sure if the "riiight" is you expressing disbelief or if your finger just got stuck on the i.

If it's disbelief, it has been known for a while that pets are coming for everyone with spellcrafting. You can watch the demo on youtube for yourself where they show two (from memory) and they talk about it in just about every article published about it - eg. the dulfy one.

I can't speak to what ZO may or may not be doing with other skill lines like conjuring/summoning. I don't work for them and haven't read anything at all on that topic. Though given what spellcrafting offers - pretty much everything - and the way it's being offered, I would be surprised if they introduced more skill lines like that.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Entitlement at its finest.

As for boycotting them, I see you're one who calls for a boycott but doesn't actually put their principles into practice.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on November 4, 2014 1:14PM
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Entitlement at its finest.

As for boycotting them, I see you're one who calls for a boycott but doesn't actually put their principles into practice.

Trolling at its... well I can't say finest.

You couldn't at least work in something about their mother or sister?
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh, it's funny, was just looking at my last post before I unsubbed. Looks like they granted my wish.

Wait...gasp! I brought on the B2P change! IT WAS ALL ME!!!

Wow. Be careful what you wish for.
    I can count to potato.
    WWJLHD?