The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is starting area determined by race or faction?

NicholasJB
NicholasJB
Soul Shriven
A friend and I are getting ready to start new characters. We both have the upgraded version of the game that allows you to play any race in any faction, and we would like to choose races from different factions. However, we want to do all of the starting zone and quests together.

So what determines starting area? If she starts a Breton and I start an Argonian, and we choose to join the Aldmeri faction, will we start together? Or do we need to choose races from the same faction (or make characters of the same race)?
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction determines starting area. It doesn't matter what race you are if you both have the Imperial Edition as long as you're both the same faction. If she plays a Breton and you play an Argonian and your both Aldmeri Dominion you'll both be in the same zone after you escape from Coldharbour. If you choose different factions you'll be in different starting zones with no way to play together so make sure you both choose the same faction.
    Edited by Jennifur_Vultee on February 10, 2015 1:32PM
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • NicholasJB
    NicholasJB
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you Jennifur. :)
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter what race you are if you both have the Imperial Edition as long as you're both the same faction.
    I thought the 'any race, any faction' was a feature of the Explorer's Pack, not the Imperial Edition.

Since I pre-ordered Imperial I can't be sure which gives me that perk, but I thought it was the EP.

[edit]

Yes, it's the EP, this is off the product page back before release:

What comes with the Digital Imperial Edition?

This edition provides the full game and unlimited access to it for 30 days, along with this exclusive collection of digital rewards:
    Play as an Imperial: Become an Imperial and play in any Alliance. Gain unique bonuses, crafting styles, gear, and more.
    White Imperial Horse: Summon this Imperial mount and journey through Tamriel with speed.
    Mudcrab Vanity Pet: Explore Tamriel with a mudcrab pet by your side.
    Rings of Mara: Complete the Ritual of Mara with a friend and receive an experience bonus when you play together.

What was the Explorer’s Pack?

When players pre-purchased the game through the ESO Store or pre-ordered at any participating retailer, they were then eligible to receive the Explorer's Pack, a digital bundle that included:
    The ability for the player's characters to join any alliance, no matter which race you choose
    The Scuttler, a tiny but loyal vanity pet
    Bonus treasure maps that will lead the player to loot

It is no longer possible to obtain the Explorer's Pack for PC/Mac as a pre-order or pre-purchase bonus. It will, however, be available to players who pre-order a console edition (PS4 or Xbox One) of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.
    Edited by Kragorn on February 10, 2015 2:17PM
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »
    Explorer is any race any faction, imperial is the horse and imperial race...the imperial race can be done of any faction.
    That's true, I wanted to point out that the advice they had:
    If she plays a Breton and you play an Argonian and your both Aldmeri Dominion you'll both be in the same zone after you escape from Coldharbour
    was incorrect, the Imperial Edition doesn't give that ability to non-Imperials.
    Edited by Kragorn on February 10, 2015 3:38PM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey welcome to ESO! I recommend you and your friend ONLY play the characters you are playing with eachother when you're together. Have an alt to play other times. This works out well, otherwise questing will feel tedious.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • NicholasJB
    NicholasJB
    Soul Shriven
    Kragorn, are you saying that we will not begin in the same zone if we choose races from different factions? Or are you saying that the original advice was correct but only if we have the Explorer's edition and not the Imperial edition?

Gidorick, that's exactly how we plan to do it. :)
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NicholasJB wrote: »
    Or are you saying that the original advice was correct but only if we have the Explorer's edition and not the Imperial edition?
    This. Don't worry, as long as you're in the same faction, you'll play in the same zones. :) Just make sure you actually do have the Explorer's Pack or you won't be able to create your Argonian in AD.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn, are you saying that we will not begin in the same zone if we choose races from different factions? Or are you saying that the original advice was correct but only if we have the Explorer's edition and not the Imperial edition?

Gidorick, that's exactly how we plan to do it. :)

The important thing is faction. If you are both Daggerfall Covenant, you will both start in Daggerfall regardless of race. If you have "Explorers Pack", you can play any race in any faction. You could theoretically both play Bretons, but one could choose Aldemeri Dominion and one could choose Ebonheart Pact, and you would not be able to play together.

If you only have Imperial Edition, not Explorers Pack, you can only play Imperial in any faction - Breton would be locked to Daggerfall Covenant and Argonian would be locked to Ebonheart Pact. Below are the races/factions if you do not have Explorers Pack:

Daggerfall Covenant - Breton, Redguard, Orc
    Aldmeri Dominion - High Elf, Wood Elf, Khajiit
    Ebonheart Pact = Dark Elf, Nord, Argonian

Yeah, it gets a little confusing. You could always play the intro quest in Coldharbour (which is fairly short) and then see where you end up. If you end up in different cities, you'll realize you made a mistake and can try again with a different character. If you both end up in the same city, you are good to go!

A tip about character creation: When you are happy with your character's appearance, take some screen shots of the settings before confirming. I have a few characters where I love their nose or proportions or whatever, but have no idea what settings I used and there are so many options it can feel impossible to recreate! But if you have a screenshot, you can easily see, "Ah, that slider 2/5th of the way over, this one all the way over, that other one a little more than halfway," etc.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn, are you saying that we will not begin in the same zone if we choose races from different factions?

If you want to be in the same Zones, you have to choose the same Faction (Aldmeri, Ebonheart or Daggerfall) no matter what Race you choose.

If you have the Explorer Pack, then you can play any race you want in any faction.

If you have the Imperial Edition, then you can play an Imperial in any Faction. But you are limited to the 3 set races for each faction if you want to play a non Imperial.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• NicholasJB
    NicholasJB
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you all so much. This was a far higher level of discussion than I ever received on the WoW forums. :)
  • Kragorn
    Kragorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I didn't get back to you, timezones are a pain. :(

I see you've got all the info you need and are now clear about your options, but to answer this, 'yes' the original advice was correct IF you have the Explorer's Pack.

The feature to allow any race (barring Imperial as @Faugaun noted) was part of the Explorer's Pack and not part of the Imperial Pack.

Kind of confusing, but ZOS created the Explorer's Pack as a carrot to get people to pre-order, while they always intended that the Imperial Pack was an on-going thing.

Since many people pre-ordered the Imperial Pack they also got the EP and it was common to see people misunderstanding where their ability to have any race in any faction came from; they often presumed it was the Imperial Edition since the Imperial could be placed in any faction without the EP.

It matters because the EP has never been sold by ZOS since launch. You can still find it in third-party sellers and the product codes still work, but someone ordering the download version from ZOS doesn't have that option.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you guys are on the same megaserver and in the same faction, it doesn't matter what race either of you pick.

Race has no bearing on faction if you're able to play any race, any faction.

Which for those of you who don't have the Explorer's Pack, the codes can be purchased separately, just google "ESO Explorer's Pack"
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT