The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Drowning in racial stones. What do you do with them?

Ourorboros
Ourorboros
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
In the first days of the game, racial stones were a pretty good find. They are a crafting requirement, and cost 15g if forced to buy. SInce leveling crafts meant trading crafted items, a lot of racial stones were needed. If you didn't find them you had to buy them, and until more motifs were learned, only one type was any good. But it takes surprising little time to acquire more than you need. Only Daedrea hearts are uncommon, and Dwemer scraps rare.
From a once valued item, racial stones are now a PITA. They have no vendor value and don't sell well in guild stores. They come from everywhere. Refine mats, get racial stones. Break down equipment, good chance of racial stone. Loot a chest or furniture, get a lockpick or a racial stone. Worst, hirelings deliver way too many racial stones. I have too many full stacks of each kind, and could have more. They get really annoying when they stop you from picking up a nice item, or break-off deconstructing or refining due to bag space. I know this is not unique to me. I'd like to hear what you do with these once-valued-now-worthless items. I only recently started using an add-on to help auto-destroy them. I'm thinking I may save some and offer them to new players come March. How about you guys? Show your love for racial stones.
Edited by Ourorboros on February 10, 2015 3:50AM
PC/NA/DC
Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sell nickel and copper for 500g a stack, but I keep a stack of each of these as well. Can't really give away argentum, let alone sell it anymore. I use to get 500g a stack though. I tend to keep palladium and daedra hearts. I also keep a stack of moonstones, because khajiit have many wares.

Everything else I just destroy or don't bother picking up.
    Edited by ThePonzzz on February 10, 2015 3:09AM
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use add-ons to keep one stack of each and it auto deletes the rest (except the rare ones (nickel, copper and daedric hearts)
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait. *puzzled* Copper and Nickel are rare? I get them all the time with my L45+'s.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper only drops in the VR zones. Nickel is just a way to show off you've used the imperial motif. I wouldn't say either of them are rare. Just that they sell.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't throw away Palladium. It's not super rare, but the style looks nice and is in high demand, so Palladium and Daedra Hearts are definitely worth keeping or selling. Copper is also worth keeping, but not as valuable. Nickel can be bought from vendors and drops in all zones just like any other racial stone. It is definitely not rare. And, as pointed out above, most people seem to think the Primal style is fugly, so you can't even give away Argentum.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the drop rate for the common ones could be reduced. I destroy anything more than a full stack and they are worthless in trade.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the common ones, every couple days, I keep 75, split stack, deposit the 75 in the bank and right click "Mark as Trash" the rest. The next time I go to a vendor its sells them all. Why? So ZoS gets an idea of how useless soo many of them are.

Oh, and if I feel industrious, I make the writ gear with racials I have over 75.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS needs to add a 1g or 2g vendor amount to ALL stuff like this. There should be nothing in the game with a 0 value.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still recall how frustrated I was when I was new to the game and literally didn't have the darn style stones. So yes, I accumulate them (mostly from deconstruction) and save them. When I get over 100 in anything I go to East Empire Trading company (best guild for selling that I have ever been a member of) and sell 11-20 (however many it takes to reduce me down to 90 or so) for 3-5. The folks who don't want it will ignore it, and those who do buy it.

They don't sell as well in other guild stores, so I use that one - but in EETC it's rare for them to go unsold for more than 3-5 days.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stacking change with 1.6 will help on this a lot. Being able to stack up to 200 of one item so we can keep a good supply of things. Anything over 200 dump them in the guild bank for cheap.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • osaceeub17_ESO
    osaceeub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I have destroyed thousands of trait stones. I agree nothing in the game should be worthless. (At least should be 1 gold) I only keep one stack of 100 in the guild bank and one stack in on my mule incase someone needs some. (I run a crafting guild) This has been a very frustrating aspect of the game. Why have hirelings bring you something you can buy at a vendor and are abundant in game.
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have destroyed thousands of trait stones. I agree nothing in the game should be worthless. (At least should be 1 gold) I only keep one stack of 100 in the guild bank and one stack in on my mule incase someone needs some. (I run a crafting guild) This has been a very frustrating aspect of the game. Why have hirelings bring you something you can buy at a vendor and are abundant in game.

I feel that this is only going to get worse the the hireling changes coming in 1.6 and the reductions of the higher temper materials.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why have hirelings bring you something you can buy at a vendor and are abundant in game.

Because people complained when the hireling mails came empty.....a racial stone at least shows they were thinking of you instead of Too Many Soups...
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm swapping out my LootDrop add-on for JunkIt Loot Manager. The new add-on, among other things, allows filtering of crafting trait and racial style stones. I may in fact save stones for the expected influx of new players, but if they don't sell, I have a tool to auto-delete the worthless ones and save the ones I want.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I sell them 50g/stack. People do actually buy them.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »
    Save them all!!! March 17th shaeogorath will rip a fart and millions of ftp fan boys will come in the door!!!!! And they will need these at the usual Hlaalu markup!

Hopefully all the motifs too :)

I have stacks of each, I pick up enough each day for all my needs, and end up trashing ones I don't need. I know people say that some of them are rarer than others but I seem to pick up all of them in equal measure.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They were obviously intended to take up bank space. It's a crafting style. Why would you need a stone to craft in a certain way?
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    @I_killed_Vivec: You might be on to something with the Motifs. I've been freely dumping them into the guild bank. Maybe I'll start holding on to them for the 3/17 free for all.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • c.reevesnub19_ESO
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    ZoS needs to add a 1g or 2g vendor amount to ALL stuff like this. There should be nothing in the game with a 0 value.

Agreed, I think either increasing their value or decreasing their availability over-time would be a quick fix to most complaints about the style stones... ZOS are you listening? :smile:
    Edited by c.reevesnub19_ESO on February 22, 2015 10:48PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »

AGREE x 1000!

I've said this from day 1. I kept suggesting it in the forums when the devs were talking about increasing gold dropped from NPC kills.