The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Drinks, huh, yeah, what is it good for?

pvpaddict42
pvpaddict42
✭✭✭
Absolutely nothing.

So Zenimax indicated they wanted to make drink buffs competitive with food buffs rather than making it so people can use both. Well after seeing what they've done to both, and asking around pretty much everyone I meet, I have to conclude that pretty much no one is using drinks over food. Which is exactly what is happening prior to 1.6.

Personally I think there are two primary reason keeping people from using drinks over food.

1) A lot of important things like damage, ultimates, shield absorption, class skills, etc scale off of the over all pool size. In contrast the only things scaling off recovery are a few low percentage passive traits via armor, one or two champion skills, and maybe a class skill or two.

2) Health is extremely important. No health comes with drinks, only health recovery. All the recovery stats in the world don't help you if you get one shotted by a boss or enemy. The squishier classes in lighter armor that focus more on their resource pool often need the extra health from food in order to take the bigger hits.

While having enough recovery to keep resources sustained is great, the above two reasons seems to me to be the biggest, though likely not the only factor involved.

Suggestions:

These are meant to be taken independently from one other, not all together.

1) Drop the recovery rates on food to 30% of their current value and let people use it in conjunction with food. This will ensure people will always want to use both.

2) Keep the recovery rates the same and add some Max Health onto drinks as well. Not to the same degree as food, but enough provide some extra health buffer for the squishy people looking to survive a one shot attack.

3) Increase the recovery on drinks by about 50%. Right now the values are nowhere near enough to draw people away from all the advantages of the max stats.

Anyway, hope you take it into consideration. Thanks.
Edited by pvpaddict42 on February 5, 2015 11:35PM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Quite a few people have said that if you maxout your stats (attribute points to health, magicka/stamina with enchants) then the regen rates from drinks can actually work better for you.

Not there yet myself, but I can grasp the principle.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like I posted in a few threads, ZO$ said they would be monitoring drink usage following the 1.6 patch, and consider stacking them if drink usage remains low. Of course, them saying this is no guarantee of anything (as we have all learned), but if you want to stack food and drinks, don't drink, and spread the word.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I certainly see no reason to use drink unless I don't have appropriate food :).
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
    Options
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't think there is any need to spread the word... with how 1.6 is shaping up with lower health & min/max'ing damage resource pools nobody would use drinks.... it would be a weaker build.

Even for Healers (Which some people were saying may use drinks).... it just doesn't make sense now that softcaps on stats have gone. With the lower average health, healers are going to have to be more effective... and to do this they are going to need big magicka pools to generate more powerful heals. They won't need any extra regen.
    Edited by Flaminir on February 9, 2015 11:17AM
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
    Options