The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Newbie Requires General Tips on NB

ShadowDisciple
ShadowDisciple
✭✭✭✭
Ok so i decided to roll a NB Bosmer (i hate cats)...and want to Dual Wield/Bow it...
I am a big fan of Thief Archetype and wanted to know a lil bit about it before i start ivesting in my character a bit more...

Bassicaly if anyone can tell me some general info about how "assassin" build scales in pvp/pve and some "core abilities" i shouldnt miss in this archetype...

Also Medium Armor preffered but not a "huge" requirement...

I am interested in min/maxing but only if it fits my archetype..so in other words how to properly MIN/MAX Bosmer NB Dual Wield/Bow..

p.s. i know what i wrote sounds silly, but i plea you to bare with me because Character Customization and Style is a bit more important to me then Actually min/maxing to the fullest...NB assassin with resto staff as secondary weapon is not really Thief/assassinlike to me ;P
  • TJStumpy
    TJStumpy
    Soul Shriven
    This was posted a long time ago, and may help.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2014/07/07/battlemasters-corner--the-blood-rogue

I don't know if it is still relevant, but I found/find it useful. I am a self-proclaimed uneducated ESO noob, eventhough I started playing at launch. I play purely for fun and infrequently. I still haven't gotten a character to 50 :smile: .
    I may grow old, but I will never grow up.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PvP is going to turn into a damage shield stack/spam fest in the next month unless ZOS fixes it. If you want to do PvP in 1.6(which is again, in just a month, not long at all) You will be reduced to either ganking or damage shield spam/stack.

for PvE I do not know.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a big fan of Thief Archetype and wanted to know a lil bit about it before i start ivesting in my character a bit more...

Stamina even now is much more viable than Magic based NB's. I hardly ever cast spell anymore other than Veiled Strike and maybe a couple of others. With 1.6 some of the less used skills like Mark Target are better to use than now.

As with any class, have one skill from each class line slotted so you can build up those three skills. The NB passives are very nice to have. Then a slot or two for a weapon skill and then one for Healing (Siphon is still nice to use and its a magic spell)

However my approach to battles is to Burst damage from stealth, then apply DW to wear down the enemy, and Siphon if needed to heal. I have woven in other skills like Sparks or Shades from time to time for fun, but that is my basic approach to combat.

With 1.6, you will have to decide at some point if you want to have a Stamina or Magic Based Nightblade, as your Morphs will use one or the other. Not sure if the old school way of splitting the bar between Magic and Stamina skills (use up one pool. then the other, then go back to the first) as the damages now scale from their resepective pool. The NB is one that I am going to have to work with to get them back to the killing machine they were once 1.6 comes out.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• xChikoun
    xChikoun
    Soul Shriven
    @Cody What do you mean by "Damage Shield Stack" ?
    I'm also going to start as a NightBlade so i don't know most of things.

Isn't it possible to just hide and kill lone targets ?
    Btw can someone explain to me how everybody can stealth ? Like, i didn't really understand it.. ><
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    xChikoun wrote: »

Btw can someone explain to me how everybody can stealth ? Like, i didn't really understand it.. ><

damage shields are abilities that summon a magical protective force field around a player. Nightblades are the only class without a class based damage shield.

Everyone is equal in the stealth department. Nightblades get passives to increase burst damage, and have access to an invisibility spell, but other than that, all classes sneak the same(medium armor provides bonuses to stealth, but that is a not class based bonus, that is an armor bonus)

You can be a ganker that kills people from stealth, but your survivability will be extremely low; and will be made worse in 1.6 when damage shield spam/stack gets even worse.
    Edited by Cody on February 3, 2015 1:20AM
  • Celless
    Celless
    ✭✭✭
    xChikoun wrote: »

Hi Chikoun,

re: stealth
    Any class can stealth in any armor. However, a character may develop improved stealth by wearing medium armor, choosing a race that has bonuses to stealth, finding gear sets that enhance stealth in some way, or choosing skill lines that improve stealth in certain conditions.

The Nightblade has some tools that further enhance stealth, in an offensive, defensive, and utility (e.g. dealing more damage from stealth, stunning an enemy longer after a stealth attack, going invisible to avoid most forms of PvE detection even in front of an enemy, or moving quicker than other characters while stealthed when a certain ability is slotted/placed on the hotbar).

re: hide and kill lone targets
    This is much easier in PvE than it is in PvP, the latter of which may depend on how you open your attack (sniping vs. shanking dat ass), whether that target was truly alone, and how experienced that target is in responding to stealth attacks.

In PvE and soloing / duoing, you can position yourself to make a power attack and kill your initial target. For most quest bosses, you can often deal a significant amount of damage with that opening hit and finish them off within 10 seconds. Against groups of three, you'll do fine taking one out and then quickly finishing off the other two. As the game progresses, you'll find some encounters are more difficult with this stealth style.

The side effect is with your fights ending so quick, you may not learn how to react in a prolonged fight full of blocking, heavy attack counters, interrupting, dodging, sustaining resources, and other tactics.

In player groups, stealth melee won't usually be able to open when the rest of your party charges in and an enemy sees you. Ambush (a morph of Teleport Strike) may get you close to the action with your stealth attack benefit or you can choose to try an open with a ranged attack.

Hope that helps clarify some.
    Edited by Celless on February 3, 2015 1:39AM
  • Celless
    Celless
    ✭✭✭
    @ShadowDisciple‌

Forgive the wall of text.

In 1.6, to try to adhere toward the character concept of Thief/Assassin in medium armor that I think you may be trying to achieve. Some of the following may help flesh out the ideas as you progress.

Due to the nature of the build, I may recommend allocating attributes toward stamina and looking for gear that promotes max stamina and weapon damage with weapon critical and stamina regeneration coming in next.

Medium Armor to improve physical critical chance, reduce the cost of your stamina abilities, reduce the stamina cost of sneaking, reduce the distance you are detected while sneaking, reduce your evasive roll cost, increase sprint speed, and increasing your weapon damage.

While the gear sets may be up to you, there's an early craftable set called Night's Silence that removes the movement penalty when sneaking. This will increase the convenience of questing and exploring when you can bypass groups of enemies on the way to key targets.

Coupled with the Nightblade's Shadow ability, Shadow Cloak, you can sneak by enemies that other classes cannot without using invisibility potions. When used for survival, use Shadow Cloak several times while escaping and hope that the 10 second head-start will keep you out of harm's way. If you're playing with others and get too many enemies on you, disengage with Shadow Cloak to allow you some breathing room.

Veiled Strike is another Shadow ability that can be developed and morphed into either Surprise Attack or Concealed Weapon. In the image of the Thief/Assassin that I suspect you're going for, Surprise Attack will aid you greatly. It's a hard hitting attack that will deal more damage as you improve your stamina and weapon damage. In addition, it will lower the target's armor and make all of your physical attacks deal more damage. You will be able to stun and disorient enemies if you use this move from stealth, invisibility (Shadow Cloak), or if any of your allies use a skill that let's you sneak or become invisible during combat.

The other morph, Concealed Weapon scales its damage from your magicka and spell damage. Its primary advantage, in my opinion, is the convenience it offers you by increasing your sneaking movement speed by a sizable amount. In PvE, you'll be getting around much faster without attracting as much attention and the ability is still useful when sneaking or invisible, but will deal much less damage than Surprise Attack with the way you may be setup.

In the Assassination tree, the ability Teleport Strike when morphed to Ambush will capitalize on your stamina and weapon damage to close the gap to the target, stun the target, and boost the damage of your next attack. When using this ability while hidden, you will most likely kill standard PvE enemies and by the time you finish opening on weaker and mid-level bosses, you'll have taken xyr half way down. The other morph of Teleport Strike does not stun, scales off your magicka, and afflicts bleeding to several enemies.

I'm still playing around with the Assassination's Grim Focus and its morphs. It grants a boost to the damage you deal and once you have made enough light / heavy attacks, you'll be able to perform one of the highest damage non-Ultimate attacks in 1.6. Even though this ability costs magicka, it takes your stamina and weapon damage into account.

I would recommend incorporating the Assassination's Assassin's Blade can be morphed to Killer's Blade. Although the ability effects don't quite scream Assassin to me, it will help your survival when fighting small groups. Killer's Blade deals significantly more damage when an enemy is at critical health. If the enemy is killed with or shortly within the use of Killer's Blade, you'll recover a sizable amount of health. Since you may end up using it anyway for damage to finish an enemy off, you may be able to sustain yourself in conjunction with the Assassination's Blur ability that will promote evasion (chance for enemies to miss without rolling.)

For an Ultimate, I would recommend starting with the Assassin's Death Stroke to start. It's a hard hitting attack that will boost your damage against the enemy for a while and reduce the healing they receive. In a longer fight, in conjunction with Surprise Attack's armor debuff, Grim Focus's damage buff and finisher attack, you'll be able to sustain high physical damage, though you'll have to be in melee range to use two of these abilities.

Overtime, you may want to consider becoming addicted to potions that increases weapon damage and weapon critical (and/or restores stamina if a triple effect potion). If you do this just before your opening sneak attack, you will significantly boost the damage you deal.

You may want to briefly consider a life of crime in the Justice System to get the Legerdemain skill line to reduce sneak cost and make money in the way a thief would.

A non-Thief/Assassin concept that will boost your damage is the Fighter Guild's Flawless Dawnbreaker ability. Just having the ability on your hotbar will increase your weapon damage and may complement your bow attacks. In addition the Fighter Guild's Expert Hunter will enhance your critical chance just being on your hotbar. There's an ability under the Mage's Guild that will help you detect stealth against enemies with a little will o'wisp like entity floating around you.

In PvP, well, it's a different game, but you may want to consider Shadow's Aspect of Terror. Think of more as people are afraid of dying and therefore panic and flee. Some will fight back and kill you. Others may be dead before they gain their senses. I still imagine an assassin as more of a ganking / one shot style, killing in three to six seconds style, but maybe that's just my mind set.

Oh gad I've been typing too long, I'm sorry - I should stop for now. Consider some of these abilities while exploring dual-wielding and bow and how they may fit in with what you're trying to do.
  • ShadowDisciple
    ShadowDisciple
    ✭✭✭✭
    Celles i thank you for your response...it is extremely helpfull..

And u nailed what i try to achieve and this new justice system will help me tremendously...

Also from what i see NB is only buffed with 1.6 from what ive seen...also i watched 1.6 nb video provided by Deltiagaming on yoututbe and all the changes have alot sense to me and im looking forward to 1.6 nb
  • xChikoun
    xChikoun
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you guys for your explainations.
    I'll be trying out that build @Celless‌ détailed, and i'll arrange it to fit my needs while i level up and discover the game.

A little out of the subject, is a Sorcerer able to wield dual daggers or swords ? Like a battlemage or i don't know how it's called.
    Efficiently i mean.