Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Enemies are the real trolls

josh5813
josh5813
✭✭✭
I don't know how many times when I'm on my horse running threw areas to get somewhere and don't want to slowly kill everything in my path just to have an enemy or several of them follow me what feels like half way across the map and do enough damage to me to get me knock off my horse just to instantly turn around and run away.

Same thing happens on foot. Once I was running to a Dark Anchor to find out I had 2 alligators follow me to it. They attack me like 2 or 3 times along with the Dark Anchor enemies then turned around and wondered away.

A similar thing happened to me in Rivenspire. Went up to a Dark Anchor and had 2 spiders follow me. When I realized they where attacking me I turned around to attack them since they would be the easier thing to kill. After attacking them once they turned around, instant healed just to turn around almost immediately and start attacking me again. I almost had them dead when they got bored and turned around again, instant healed again and wonder off for good.

I don't know where I'm going with this or how it can be fix. This just annoys the crap out of me.
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've made a suggestion about this before. They need to make it to where mobs that are far below your level don't aggro you or even acknowledge that you are there. There's nothing more annoying as a VR14 than being chased down by a group of mobs that don't have a chance in hell of even doing .001% damage to me.
  • josh5813
    josh5813
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think enemies that are below your level should ignore you completely, they shouldn't have the ability to knock you off of a horse and all the enemies should have how far they chase you reduced.

I hate it when I'm trying to get somewhere and enemies at or around my level or higher than my level that I don't feel like fighting start to chase me and I have to backtrack like 10 miles to get them to quit chasing me.

Look at the enemies that appear at the Dark Anchors. Pull them slightly away from the area and they will stop attacking and return, while normal enemies will give chase to what feels like halfway across the map.
  • SanderBuraas
    SanderBuraas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop complaining and be more cautious of your travel route. These are enemies, and they will attack any wanderer regardless of level, because they are not aware of your level.

As for the issue of being chased too far, that is valid. They do seem to chase too far than they mean to, as when they are far away and you give one swing, they will immediately stop and run back.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A burly nord dragonknight is quietly riding down the road to Davons Watch in his spiked voidsteel plate, an well used flame-enchanted greataxe on his back, and the hides of a dozend monsters overflowing from his saddlebags.
    Every couple yards, two covenant scouts in scraped together leather armor and with cheap iron swords spot him. They look at each other, the one grins "Ey, we can take 'im"... and that's how the road got all covered in covenant bodies. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously though, sith some mobs it makes sense that they attack heedless of level.
    Why would some mindless zombies care that a wandering mage can kill them with one wave of their hand?
    Animals... well, realistically they might attack if hungry (and considering the predator/prey ratio in our maps, most must be starving :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ), but many would try to flee once they get hurt and notice this "prey" is gonna kill them.
    Bandits... depends on how impressive and/or wealthy their choosen target might look. They wouldn't generally attack a knight or nord berserker unless they outnumbered them eight to one...
    Enemy troops... likely would attack to do their duty. Unless of yourse their target looked strong, and no officer was there to see them...
    Daedra - have no reason not to attack, they can't die, they just are sent back to the void. They might actually enjoy finding a mortal who can take them, spice up their life... (of course, I always thought dark seducers should maybe put their actions where their mouths are... ;) )

Sometimes I wish all the characters in the game had a hidden "badass" stat, adjusted by height, muscles and gear, which determines how likely random mobs are to choose fight or flight. Look impressive, and they might run away. Sadly, I don't think any game has done that yet... best we have is levels, which is indeed sometimes silly when mortal enemies ignore the player as "oh, noes, too tuff"

The way ESO handles mob tethers is annoying though. Yes, the enemies follow you way longer then their aggro area range, until they attack you once, or you attack them once, then reset, refill health, and run back. It can be very annoying, sometimes. Since you don't even get the satisfaction of properly punishing them for their one "for the honor of the flag" strike...