The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Heavy Armor 5 Piece Tank Can be Very Good

Gumpnstein
Gumpnstein
✭✭✭
I see alot of people talking about heavy armor being inferior. While I agree there are less viable builds as a whole, there are a few that are very strong. Don't give up on trying it if it's what you really want. I've played it for 3 months now, even got EMP with it on Thorn right after 1.5 drop. Here is a clip (1v4 on a resource) of my latest heavy build im running. Have faith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpjq0oB0ZBU&feature=youtu.be

5 Heavy, No Shields
Edited by Gumpnstein on January 23, 2015 2:25PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like to see thatin actual PvP as I have a heavy armor build I have set up and have been leveling VR. Not quite ready to go for PvP but it has looked promising. Not DK though.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're killing stuff and staying alive thanks to synergy between Bats + Battle Roar. And no, you dont need shields when you can avoid mender and mage dmg with flappy wings.

Any other class would run out of resources if wearing heavy armor in that scenario, besides possible NB with Siphoning Attacks toggled (but they would on the other hand not deal enough dmg).

Point is, this doesn't make heavy armor viable in PvP. It just means that a good player with a DK vampire build can solo a recourse, even when gimping himself in heavy.

Heavy +5 pieces is good enough for PvE tanking, I use it frequently in dungeons. But needs serious buffing before viable for all classes in PvP.
  • Gumpnstein
    Gumpnstein
    ✭✭✭
    eliisra wrote: »
    You're killing stuff and staying alive thanks to synergy between Bats + Battle Roar. And no, you dont need shields when you can avoid mender and mage dmg with flappy wings.

Any other class would run out of resources if wearing heavy armor in that scenario, besides possible NB with Siphoning Attacks toggled (but they would on the other hand not deal enough dmg).

Point is, this doesn't make heavy armor viable in PvP. It just means that a good player with a DK vampire build can solo a recourse, even when gimping himself in heavy.

Heavy +5 pieces is good enough for PvE tanking, I use it frequently in dungeons. But needs serious buffing before viable for all classes in PvP.

Well that's my point....I'm not gimping myself with heavy armor...heavy armor makes it possible to do that and not even shield stack. There are alot of things going on here that are benefits of heavy armor. I broke prob around 20 or more fears, stuns, bubbles, etc that would have destroyed any other armor user....and that is just one example of many things that have nothing to do with a dk or a vamp. I guess if I wasn't a dk with flappy wings, id use the 400 magic per wing flap to deal with the mage guard, because those wing flaps for a heavy armor dk cost 400...so does dragons blood, and so does talons...Pretty sure other classes have plenty of skills to deal with a ranged mage guard that cost less.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well..sorry but... Ulti set, bats and dk. You maybe not even need any armor or cloth to reproduce this video.

I use 5 heavy too on my templar. It's not that bad, I aggre with you. But I have no chance to do this with my character because of lacking battle roar passive for endless resources.
    Good to know classes will come in more balanced line when 1.6 hits.
    Edited by Soris on January 23, 2015 4:30PM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Gumpnstein
    Gumpnstein
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Like to see thatin actual PvP as I have a heavy armor build I have set up and have been leveling VR. Not quite ready to go for PvP but it has looked promising. Not DK though.

IMO you just have to build the entire build around the strengths of heavy armor. And then change your gamestyle to those strengths as well, and mesh those with your class. I just think that people tried heavy a little, posted it sucked, then people read it sucked and never really used it. I spent alot of time putting together the 3-4 builds I have. Not sure what you meant by actual PvP, I guess player's only and no npc's around. It's strong in those circumstances also, especially when I have a healer, because solo so many passives of a tanky heavy user go to waste. Solo'n 10 dudes is not the goal here. I eat tons of damage, take up a ton of attention, debuff enemies with piece armor and engulfing flames, root with talons, stun with shield charge, slow down with ash cloud and protect teammates also. It's a true tank build and not some cheesy 1vX build. Sometimes I think that is what people miss about using heavy in pvp, they wanna go kill everyone with it and your just not made for that...So like I said, people have to change their playstyle to make it viable as well.
  • Surfinginhawaii
    Surfinginhawaii
    ✭✭✭
    Nice video, you survived a long time before they finally got you.
  • Solanum
    Solanum
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to make a PVP viable stamina plate build. And failed, repeatedly.
    I did have some luck as a Dragonknight with it, briefly, because of the insane strengths that class has. This combined with the lifedrain from Vampire led to one brief lucky killstreak.

As a Nightblade I've given up on the stamina plate build till 1.6 hits completely. And in all honesty I don't have high hopes for 1.6 in this regard.

The video you made could easily be done in light armor as well, with green dragons blood the health you would lose, would be more then compensated for in sheer healing power, due to the extra magicka gained and reduced cost of magicka abilities.

To me, it feels like your class and a magicka build carried the armor, not the other way around. And while with a lot of effort a plate build can be made to work, it's still far from being on par with other armors.
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a very good Heavy set I use in pvp with my templar. It works well, 5 piece Dragon 5 warlock & pact sword/shield. Vampire... softcap magic and stam regen.
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • EnOeZ
    EnOeZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    We can solo clean a resource much faster as DK, Heavy, even in Stamina with Sword and Board and Standard as Ulti. You never interrupt the heals nor debuff them, that is the key.

We can AOE interrupt those heals as DKs you know... ;)

However it is true that it is still the worst PVP armor by far and will remain as such in 1.6 as long as it sucks that much at resource management, especially for stamina users of course who still suffer from CC Break and Evasion mechanic (unfair) burden without compensation. And now in 1.6 we do even less damage. See post : http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/148711/1-6-pts-heavy-armor-feedback