Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can you gain weapon xp having a weapon ability slotted but having equiped,for example, a staff?

RazielSR
RazielSR
✭✭✭✭✭
So my question is. You equip a staff with 2 staff skills,1 skill from some class skill line and 2 dual wield skills. Does that dual wield skills level up too?
Edited by RazielSR on January 27, 2015 12:30AM
  • Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Most noticably if skills from the skill line in question are on your bar when you turn in quests.
    Edited by Lynnessa on January 27, 2015 12:31AM
  • RazielSR
    RazielSR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynnessa wrote: »
    Yes.

Ok thanks.
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe you can level the individual skills but not the skill line unless that weapon is equipped.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭
    kimboh wrote: »
    I believe you can level the individual skills but not the skill line unless that weapon is equipped.

hm... this might be the case? Not sure. I thought xp in individual skills was automatically applied to the skill line as well. i.e., the amount of xp in a skill line is the sum of all of the xp you have in its skills.
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭

hm... this might be the case? Not sure. I thought xp in individual skills was automatically applied to the skill line as well. i.e., the amount of xp in a skill line is the sum of all of the xp you have in its skills.

Yeah you're probably right.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah you're probably right.

Well, good luck, OP. We probably answered your question for you. Probably. ;P
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would mean you could level 5 different weapon skill lines at the same time.
    I will have to try this out.
    Edited by kimboh on January 27, 2015 12:40AM
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • RazielSR
    RazielSR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I read some old posts talking about it here and in reddit. I gues that by having in your bar, some weapon skill it should level up the skill and in consequence,the whole skill line. I will try today.
  • Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I routinely do this.
    Having a weapon skill from line A on the bar, but a miss-matching Weapon equipped (let's call it B ), results in both lines A and B leveling up (but slower then they would be leveling if you had all A stuff or all B stuff)
    Edited by Morvul on January 27, 2015 10:42AM
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Most noticably if skills from the skill line in question are on your bar when you turn in quests.

Yes... I've always used a specific "checkin" bar setup to level additional skills that I'm not actively using then switch back after checking in of a quest. Been doing this daily over the past 6 weeks for a DK I'm leveling.
  • Celless
    Celless
    ✭✭✭
    To answer the original question: If you slot two dual wielding abilities while wielding a staff, you will improve the dual wielding ability's XP to rank up (I...IV, morph) and gain XP for the dual wielding skill line (1...50).
  • RazielSR
    RazielSR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True.
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. I purposely grind with a skill I am not even equipped for in 3 or 4 (counting ultimate) slots just to raise their level, and it also raises the category, such as One Hand and Shield. It keeps all my skill areas fairly even.
    "Get off my lawn!"