The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

ESO Style Battlegrounds Discuss

Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
From the AMA on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/2tfb48/welcome_to_the_eso_tamriel_unlimited_aua/cnyjl3r
ESO Style battlegrounds. Currently looking at defined play times (12 minutes for example) with objectives centering around varying play-styles. Capture the flag, kill the Emperor, etc. These are all still in the exploratory phase.

What would you like to see as battleground ideas and team sizes?
@Solar_Breeze
NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Observant
    Observant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Team Death Match - 4 to 12 players - Five minute limit
    Option to view other current skirmishes as well (For Tourney's/Competitive Streaming)
    Vehemence
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd probably want a deathmatch BG in varying locations... open field, a keep, tower areas, places with a lot of water. Maybe throw in res counters like a trial. I don't know if I see CTF in this game. Anywhere from 8-12 players though.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They would do well to work on having this in for or shortly after the console release. There is a lot of interest.
    Edited by timidobserver on January 26, 2015 5:19PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Observant wrote: »
    Team Death Match - 4 to 12 players - Five minute limit
    Option to view other current skirmishes as well (For Tourney's/Competitive Streaming)

Yes to all except the 5 minute timer, too short.... time waiting, loading, etc... the BG should kill more than 5 minutes of my time to be worth it.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Manoekin wrote: »
    I don't know if I see CTF in this game. Anywhere from 8-12 players though.

CTF already exists with scrolls
    @Solar_Breeze
  • cozmon3c_ESO
    cozmon3c_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see three way 4v4v4 king of the hill, whoever holds the top, let's say flag, the longest in 10 minutes wins.

Edit more thoughts.

The whole point of this king of the hill is all three sides are fighting over a chest at the top of the hill, whoever wins gets to open it with a chance at some good loot and/or gold. Hopefully some new pvp gear. Maybe you could also add a rare drop mount to the loot table. Hire me please I'm on a role with this one lol.

Edit more thoughts

The setting, tropical island with a hill covered in trees and streams.
    Each alliances starts and respawns on their alliances ships evenly spread out around the island. You have to jump ship to get to the island and run to the top of the hill for the treasure. Arrg, mateys.

Maybe add a couple more maps for this like fighting over a chest in a mine, same concept with the island, all are evenly spread out with there own entrances.
    Maybe have one set in the shivering isles, or Insert great idea here_____.

For the shivering isles, the arena is a mountain range with a valley in the middle with a wheel of cheese (chest). Each alliances spawns evenly around the arena on the mountains. One little twist with this one, sheogirath will periodically try to wabajack the area around the flag turning people into all sorts of critters. You need to avoid getting Wabbajacked If you want to win. Of course the map will be half beautiful and the other half dark and spikey.
    Edited by cozmon3c_ESO on January 26, 2015 6:23PM
    Guild UMBRA Chapter Lead
    ~Leper Si -V14 Sorcerer~
    Youtube Channel - Leper
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCozmon3c/videos
  • Jahosefat
    Jahosefat
    ✭✭✭✭
    My biggest concern with any sort of instanced pvp in ESO is the timers. There definitely needs to be timers (anyone been a part of a 12+ hour bgs in other games?) but also not too short.

In other games that have arenas with timers, one strategy was to fill the arena with tanks that were very difficult to kill (but could not kill others very easily), and drag a very boring and frustrating game out to a draw. The timers are set to 45 minutes, so most groups will just leave the arena after ~20 mins, giving the tanky team a win. Waiting until a draw was called (45 minutes later :() would result in a loss for both teams. This was awful, and I would hate to see something like this come to ESO.

But I love bgs and arenas, so if they do it well it will be great. I think its good to get a feedback thread going on this topic.
    Joeshock- AD NA AB Thorn Chill Sorc New Eden Low Sec Roamer

Fight not with monsters lest ye become one
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ahhh yes, I knew that was coming. Your problem is that scrolls are massive lengths across the cyrodil map from where you are running them, so it's not quite the same. What we happen to be talking about in this thread is a small map pvp arena/battleground. Maybe you became confused during some point of reading the thread. What my concern is though, is that there would be no way to strike a balance between the pace of such a game as CTF. Any map for it would be too large or small. I've ran from roe to nikel many times with 2-3 people attacking me, and I'm not even built to be tanky. IMO it would just end up as a deathmatch game where the winner of the fight just caps the scroll (kind of makes it pointless), or a vampire sneaks in and gets the scroll, mistforms away with cyrodil's light set gaining like 90% mitigation before any racial or class bonus. Even without mistform it's easy to just run away from people. I think wanting to kill another player is the only motivation you need.
  • Nijjion
    Nijjion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guild Vs Guild arenas only I want, something like 8vs8 would be great. Don't want to take the randomness out of Cyradil and bring it to random arenas, they have always been cancers to MMO.
    NijjijjioN - DK - AR27
    NijjioN - NB -
    Daggerfall Covenant
    The Nice Guys Guild
    EverQuest -> Dark Age of Camelot -> Ragnarok Online -> Cabal Online -> Guild Wars 1 -> Warhammer Online -> Vindictus -> SWTOR -> Tera -> Guild Wars 2 -> Elder Scrolls Online ->

Eagerly awaiting Camelot Unchained.
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capture the flag! Also teams of 15 x 3 narrow canyon 3 keeps once your keep falls that's gg for your team first to 3 wins
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ahhh yes, I knew that was coming. Your problem is that scrolls are massive lengths across the cyrodil map from where you are running them, so it's not quite the same. What we happen to be talking about in this thread is a small map pvp arena/battleground. Maybe you became confused during some point of reading the thread. What my concern is though, is that there would be no way to strike a balance between the pace of such a game as CTF. Any map for it would be too large or small. I've ran from roe to nikel many times with 2-3 people attacking me, and I'm not even built to be tanky. IMO it would just end up as a deathmatch game where the winner of the fight just caps the scroll (kind of makes it pointless), or a vampire sneaks in and gets the scroll, mistforms away with cyrodil's light set gaining like 90% mitigation before any racial or class bonus. Even without mistform it's easy to just run away from people. I think wanting to kill another player is the only motivation you need.

Considering I posted the thread I wasn't confused :)

The main difficulty of catching a scroll runner in ESO is the lack of choke points in cyro. Depending on how the map was designed this could be remedied in a BG.

For example if there were many bridges or natural choke points such as canyons. It would likely be easier. also a flag run of 3-5m would be acceptable in a 20m game imo. Especially if there is 1 flag and 3 teams fighting over it.
    @Solar_Breeze