The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Making classes and magic more "free"

Aranbormoth
Aranbormoth
✭✭
I am making this thread more under the hopes that a developer will see this but if anybody has any ideas to add in the comments below that would be awesome.
These are just some thoughts I had that might make this game feel a little more like an Elder Scrolls game and give a little more freedom in the character creation section of the game.

One thing I have felt since release is that you can be to tied into a certain class just for one skill or skill line from it. My thoughts on opening this up a bit is to keep the classes that exist for those that are new or like them, but for those of us who want a little more freedom from the classes add a fifth class in, instead of having a preset group of three skills lines like the other classes, give us the option to choose our three skills lines by mix and matching from all the existing class skill lines. So an example would be maybe two skills lines from DK and one from NB, or one from NB one from Templar and one from Sorcerer, etc.
This both keeps the current class structure but allows for more customization of your characters class if you have another build you want to try.

Another aspect I would like to see added is an attribute system as opposed to the Health/Magicka/Stamina options now available, closer to all the Elder Scrolls games before Skyrim. This I understand would be a much larger restructure and much longer and harder addition then just adding a new customizable class but I still believe would be a welcome addition.

The last thing I would like to add address is the Destruction and Healing skill lines, I believe it would be a nice addition to allow those skills to be used while a staff is not equipped. While not changing the skill line and keeping all passives that give bonuses to the staves themselves it would make a welcome addition to be able to use those magic lines with just the skills while other weapons are equipped to allow the non mages a little more versatility.

As I said at the beginning I am making this thread in the hopes that a developer will see it and be inspired but please if you have any thoughts or additions add them in the comments.
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think being able to pick from all trees would be a bit nuts, being able to cast staff abilities without the staff would be ccool but it doesn't follow previous ES game mechanics.
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • Wolfsspinne
    Wolfsspinne
    ✭✭✭
    NotSo wrote: »
    I think being able to pick from all trees would be a bit nuts, being able to cast staff abilities without the staff would be ccool but it doesn't follow previous ES game mechanics.

Having staff abilities at all is "what doesn't follow previous ES game mechanics."

In TES I - III staves where for smashing heads only.
    In TES IV and V staves did shoot balls and beams (some special staves did special nonsense) but nothing more. There wasn't even a skill line associated with them.
  • illusionarythade
    illusionarythade
    ✭✭✭
    I agree regarding staves, its silly that they are required to use those magic skills. Allow magic to be used without them just don't have the passive abilities and light / heavy attack effects going on **nod nod**

In regards to a free style class, it could be complicated considering the current classes. However it is something that I agree to in essence, just it would need to be balanced heavily and restricted quite a lot. For E.G - Could you imagine a class with x3 attack trees? The passives alone would wipe out anything existing. If the trees were seperated into "Attack/range, Utility/defence, Healing/support" and you was able to pick 1 from each as your "class" I guess would work out better, however I think it being from the original classes is a little mean to them. Perhaps a lot of pre-made weaker skill lines in varying styles would be better, as not to tread on any toes.
    Edited by illusionarythade on January 25, 2015 12:42AM
    "Use nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power, and fear her fury."

.: Fehn-reil Bosmer Craftsman [AD] :. | .: Teiali Bosmer Warden Support [EP] :.
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just wouldnt be good at all. it might be cool for pve but would just **** all over pvp balance, which is bad enough already. you would see even less builds not more.