The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The elephant in the room

Jamersonb16_ESO
Jamersonb16_ESO
✭✭✭
I'm a huge fan of the sub model for MMOs generally, and while I don't go along with the 'the sky(rim!) is falling' crowd, I do think there's a rather large elephant in the room.

Most F2P or B2P games make the money they need to survive from cash shop whales chasing the item they think they need to 'win the game' (think AA..). As the majority of people who would consider continuing to pay a sub are max level and have probably maxed all the crafting professions they want, there's no reason to keep paying if you have no interest in costumes and fluff (I count myself in this number).

Although they're claiming no P2win items will be in the cash shop, how long can they realistically survive if there's nothing for the whales to chase and throw money at. How long before we see lock/gamble boxes in the style of Rift or AA, or gold improvement mats, or items that let you switch traits on dropped sets in the cash shop?

It just appears that there's nothing overwhelmingly good in the sub offer to encourage significant numbers to keep paying monthly, and they're claiming there'll be nothing good enough in the cash shop to get the whales to open their wallets. Something will have to give...?
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You have to pay for the additional content coming out after1.6. It sounded as if you HAD to be subbed to even partake in all the content that will come out after 1.6.
    Edited by Erock25 on January 21, 2015 10:41PM
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I (sadly) expect gold mats to be in the store. They fall completely within the wording of "attainable in game but sold for ' convenience ' to the player". That is were a large revenue will come, probably.
  • Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »
    I (sadly) expect gold mats to be in the store. They fall completely within the wording of "attainable in game but sold for ' convenience ' to the player". That is were a large revenue will come, probably.

Sad but true
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »

If they aren't in the store, they will probably be available through the gold and item sellers that will be coming back. :\
    Wololo.
  • pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    You have to pay for the additional content coming out after1.6. It sounded as if you HAD to be subbed to even partake in all the content that will come out after 1.6.

You have to pay for new content/expansions in LOTRO, hasn't stopped their cash shop being filled with p2w items, and the UI plastered with 'mithril coin' icons (store currency). This will be ESO in 18-24 months.
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of the sub model for MMOs generally, and while I don't go along with the 'the sky(rim!) is falling' crowd, I do think there's a rather large elephant in the room.

Most F2P or B2P games make the money they need to survive from cash shop whales chasing the item they think they need to 'win the game' (think AA..). As the majority of people who would consider continuing to pay a sub are max level and have probably maxed all the crafting professions they want, there's no reason to keep paying if you have no interest in costumes and fluff (I count myself in this number).

Although they're claiming no P2win items will be in the cash shop, how long can they realistically survive if there's nothing for the whales to chase and throw money at. How long before we see lock/gamble boxes in the style of Rift or AA, or gold improvement mats, or items that let you switch traits on dropped sets in the cash shop?

It just appears that there's nothing overwhelmingly good in the sub offer to encourage significant numbers to keep paying monthly, and they're claiming there'll be nothing good enough in the cash shop to get the whales to open their wallets. Something will have to give...?

This is exactly what happened with LoTRO.

The cash shop starting with being able to buy quest packs and convenience items.

Then in time changed to a pay-2-win shop where it was the only place you could get the enhancements needed to complete end game content. Or they'd say you could get the items in-game, but they'd have a 0.001% drop rate, so realistically the only way was the cash shop.

They might be taking the stance of "the cash shop is just fluff, this is a good change" now, but when they need to start filling their pockets for C-level Christmas bonuses, things will change.
  • Morthur
    Morthur
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Morthur on January 22, 2015 10:10AM
  • Metrobius
    Metrobius
    ✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »

You have to pay for new content/expansions in LOTRO, hasn't stopped their cash shop being filled with p2w items, and the UI plastered with 'mithril coin' icons (store currency). This will be ESO in 18-24 months.

I quit LOTRO because of all of the immersion breaking junk in the game world. Im starting to give up on ESO and that would push me over the line.
  • karmamule
    karmamule
    ✭✭✭
    Given the past popularity of Oblivion and Skyrim on consoles I think they stand to make a fantastic pile of money in the short-term once it launches, especially now that it has gone B2P.

After that, DLC will entice upper tier players to pay either via plus membership or by individual DLC purchases, and if the player is at all interested in RP or just looking unique then cash shop costumes will probably also be enticing, as well as additional character appearance options at character creation time.

Purchases for extra personal bag / bank inventory space will always be tempting as well as extra character slots for alt-aholics, etc. etc.

There's lots of room for giving incentives to those who are actively engaged in the game, even if at high levels.

The trick is to lure people to spend money without having the whole game feel like its nickel-and-diming you to death. That's a tough balance to pull off, so I hope they find that middle ground.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You've got the answer now @Jamersonb16_ESO.
    It took a little under 5 months. Not bad.
    Wololo.
  • SweetRoll
    SweetRoll
    ✭✭✭
    I am sad, but I just stopped my plus membership. I had very high hopes for this game in Beta, but Zeni just wasn't able to live up to the expectations. Apparently the console sales are good, but there is no reason for PC players to keep paying the monthly fee. I will still be playing, but eventually something new and shiny will catch my eye and this will be just a bug-filled memory :'(