The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Getting annoyed by snipe... -__-

• Mariiana
    Mariiana
    ✭✭
    Sypher wrote: »
    I'm not going to comment about the whole balance issue and what should be changed, because at this point I don't know what the best solution is.

All I can say is, when I'm running around doing my thing and I notice someone sniping me, they automatically become priority #1 on the "MUST KILL RIGHT NOW" list, no matter what the situation, if I don't focus them and kill them, then I'll have a hard time.

Oh that also applies to any templars stacking dark flares on me (which is WAY worse than snipe, just not as popular because it's a class based skill).

Oh yea for sure man, the snipers do become top priority no doubt, but sometimes (usually lately) there's more than 1 , and with my temp not really having bursty damage singling out a target for a quick kill isnt so quick lol
    ~~~ EP ~~~
    Mariiana- VR16 Templar
    Mariiahna VR16 NB
    Roheel VR14 DK
    Xinthuur VR4 Sorc
  • Mariiana
    Mariiana
    ✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    What I'm getting annoyed by is the horde of QQers here on the forums.

Not a lot of people seem to realize, but Snipe (and stealth gameplay as a whole) actually got a pretty significant nerf in 1.5 when sneak attack damage was reduced.
    In fact, I couldn't even care if they nerfed it more, since it's such a bad skill these days I'm probably going to replace it with something else anyway.

Another thing not many people seem to realize is that popular/=/good.

Why bows are popular, there's multiple reasons, such as:
    • ZOS advertising buffs for stamina builds (while in fact stealth focused builds were nerfed instead, but it's not like these new found snipers know that)
    • Removal of forward camps & relative safety of the bow range.

I'd like to know how someone can even die to a single archer spamming snipe, I did the math, and you'd need reaction time of 3-4 seconds to lose against a snipe spammer (human average is 0,25 seconds).

I'd also like to know why dying against multiple archers (or other opponents) is such a bad thing? Did you expect to tank 20 archers & kill them all, like you do againt non-archers with certain magicka builds?

And lastly, I still see more magicka builds (especially flapflap tank everything DKs) than archers in Cyrodiil...

I definitely think stamina builds deserve they're time in the spotlight, that's not what the rant was intended bash on, its more about the very little amount of skill needed to sit back and use snipe to get kills.

And secondly really the only time i'd die just to one sniper is if i'm face to face in a 1 v 2 or 1 v 3 in whats seemly a good fight, then BAM out of nowhere 30 meters away from up on a rock i get hammered lol, and no i dont expect to tank 20 archers lol unless i was a DK >.< lmao
    ~~~ EP ~~~
    Mariiana- VR16 Templar
    Mariiahna VR16 NB
    Roheel VR14 DK
    Xinthuur VR4 Sorc
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Bow=High risk much gain thesis is just stupidest thing I ever read in this forum.

You clearly have no clue about what is risk means!

Play a non dk, melee build and taste it once i'd say
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »

Not a lot of people seem to realize, but Snipe (and stealth gameplay as a whole) actually got a pretty significant nerf in 1.5 when sneak attack damage was reduced.
    In fact, I couldn't even care if they nerfed it more, since it's such a bad skill these days I'm probably going to replace it with something else anyway.

• ZOS advertising buffs for stamina builds (while in fact stealth focused builds were nerfed instead, but it's not like these new found snipers know that)

I'd like to know how someone can even die to a single archer spamming snipe, I did the math, and you'd need reaction time of 3-4 seconds to lose against a snipe spammer (human average is 0,25 seconds).

I'd also like to know why dying against multiple archers (or other opponents) is such a bad thing? Did you expect to tank 20 archers & kill them all, like you do againt non-archers with certain magicka builds?

And lastly, I still see more magicka builds (especially flapflap tank everything DKs) than archers in Cyrodiil...

Sneak attack damage was not nerfed on bows. I figured you knew that. All of us that used snipe prior to 1.5 saw no change in the damage after.

Things like ambush and surprise attack, yeah, but snipe and bow heavy attacks for some reason didnt drop at all.

ummm...Yea it did...I lost about 500 damage on my sneak attack with lethal arrow
  • WebBull
    WebBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Columba wrote: »
    WebBull wrote: »
    Bow is so powerful it is almost required in every build. It should not be this way.

Except against DKs, shields, harness, dodge,block,..........and the 2 dozen other ways that decent players negate arrows. Simply listen for the snipe. Lol I only die once or so a night from snipe or it's variants. Very simple to avoid.

There is a reason why everyone, every class is now running around with a bow....but I understand that because you use one, you dont want it nerfed.
  • Grim13
    Grim13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I very rarely get killed by just a bow user.

If I ever do see a snipe in my recap it's usually mixed in with several impulses and invasions... which means I was going to die anyway, lol.

I will say this: the entire idea behind and purpose of a bow was to kill the enemy from as far away, with as little risk, as possible. Seems to be a pretty sound strategy to me.

.. And once a bowman gets closed down they're usually in deep trouble.

It makes one wonder if the frontlines in medieval warfare qq'd as much about it?

Instead of qq'ing... why don't all of you make sure that your groups are composed of the occasional bowman too?

You know? Blend your troops.
    Edited by Grim13 on January 19, 2015 7:17PM
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mariiana wrote: »

I definitely think stamina builds deserve they're time in the spotlight, that's not what the rant was intended bash on, its more about the very little amount of skill needed to sit back and use snipe to get kills.

And secondly really the only time i'd die just to one sniper is if i'm face to face in a 1 v 2 or 1 v 3 in whats seemly a good fight, then BAM out of nowhere 30 meters away from up on a rock i get hammered lol, and no i dont expect to tank 20 archers lol unless i was a DK >.< lmao

Again, nothing special about this. You were outnumbered and lost, sounds logical to me.

There are ways of avoiding that this happens:
    • Don't be outnumbered
    • Don't be low on health
    • Roll Dodge/Block when you hear the snipe sound.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Grim13 wrote: »

If I ever do see a snipe in my recap it's usually mixed in with several impulses and invasions... which means I was going to die anyway, lol.

I will say this: the entire idea behind and purpose of a bow was to kill the enemy from as far away, with as little risk, as possible. Seems to be a pretty sound strategy to me.

It makes one wonder if the frontlines in medieval warfare qq'd as much about it?

Instead of qq'ing... why don't all of you make sure that your groups are composed of the occasional bowman too?

You are seriously trying to justify the current snipe with an example from reality.

Well then, how is it that they can snipe right into the zergy melee combat and mysteriously never hit their own troops? There you go.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Grim13
    Grim13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

You are seriously trying to justify the current snipe with an example from reality.

Well then, how is it that they can snipe right into the zergy melee combat and mysteriously never hit their own troops? There you go.

Ummmm, it's called "snipe" for a reason... they have amazing aim. D'uh.
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ummm...Yea it did...I lost about 500 damage on my sneak attack with lethal arrow

If I lost about 500 damage on any of my attacks, I am afraid I would actually start healing enemies.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

image.jpg
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    KBKB wrote: »
    Snipe takes skill and is defs not OP - Any bow user on the forums.

Skill=hold block & spam heal/dmg shield button - Anyone else in the forums

I'm going to get LOLs for this from the flapflap DKs & other magicka builds, but playing a stealth focused character actually takes a lot more skill than playing one of those "lolol I tank 20 people and can't die" builds.

There's several reasons for that:
    • You are squishier and can actually die, which means you have to time dodge rolls perfectly & have a good reaction time.
    • To actually get kills (unless playing with 12 other archers), you don't spam snipe. Spamming snipe gets you no kills (unless opponent is a potato). There are ways of "one shotting" (read: getting past eternal block+dmg shield/heal) people, while spamming Snipe takes a minimum of 3-4 seconds to kill someone at full health.
    • You need situational awareness as a stealthy character, you cannot rush in & expect to kill the whole enemy raid. You have to actually take your targets 1 by 1 and relocate yourself when you draw attention, or risk dying.
    • One missed button press or a stroke of bad luck likely means your death, so there is no room for mistakes.

Yep, it takes a lot of skill pew-pewing distant low health targets from stealth. Don't strain your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

get back to hiding behind your damage shields!

see?? Im part of the drama now!!!:D

in all seriousness, like stacking the damage shields that I despise, it is not as easy as it seems.

If you just sit there and try to spam snipe on someone, you are likely going to fail, unless that player is either not paying attention, is on low health, or just has absolutely ZERO situational awareness. You have to have an escape plan ready, and everything has to go EXACTLY right. One little screw up= you are spotted, and you either have to flee or pull out a melee weapon and try to kill your target that way. Its not all brainless skill spam
  • jopeymonster
    jopeymonster
    ✭✭✭
    Sypher wrote: »

Oh that also applies to any templars stacking dark flares on me (which is WAY worse than snipe, just not as popular because it's a class based skill).

GDI @Sypher‌ ! Now everyone knows what Templar ability to nerf next!

I love snipers - they are the first to run away when you pop a shield and come at them...

Now those duo ganking bownub and NBs Ambush+SH combo... that's tricky.
    #nerfkeyboards
  • Grim13
    Grim13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

image.jpg

uh huh. Sooo stupid, indeed.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to get LOLs for this from the flapflap DKs & other magicka builds, but playing a stealth focused character actually takes a lot more skill than playing one of those "lolol I tank 20 people and can't die" builds.
    Magicka Nightblade here. Very stealth focused. Stamina Nightblades are not stealth focused, they are run away focused.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »

Magicka Nightblade here. Very stealth focused. Stamina Nightblades are not stealth focused, they are run away focused.

Most of them are, sadly.

Personally, I try not to run away unless there's a whole train coming at me.

The reason most stamina builds are more run away focused is that there are no tools present for getting through the dmg shield+heal & permablock (and scales) that are present everywhere.

Maybe 1.6 & Champion System will change balance for the better, but based on what we've heard of it, I'll remain pessimistic about that for now.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

you have not fought me then
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But then it's back to the other discussion of burst vs. sustain.

As a stamina NB I need that initial burst or it becomes very hard, especially with good players. Magicka NBs are my biggest bane since I need to see my target to kill whilst they can remain hidden almost indefinitely in a given fight.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • Galalin
    Galalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought for you all... DK's will always be OP.... it doesn't matter what gets nerfed or what changes are made the stigma of "DK is OP" will arise anytime someone other than a DK dies to a DK.

So get used to it... DK will always be OP!

Mwhahaha!

DK Scrub out
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Snipe is fine.
    181194.gif
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • Mauz
    Mauz
    ✭✭✭
    Mariiana wrote: »
    but sometimes (usually lately) there's more than 1 , and with my temp not really having bursty damage singling out a target for a quick kill isnt so quick lol

More than 1 has nothing to do with balance. If there are 4 snipers attacking you on your horse from stealth and even Sypher could do nothing but prioritize his death cap.

Why 99% of the players are searching for the most unchallenging fights you can imagine I dont get but its on the other side the gameplay which is most rewarded by ZOS. Even if you raid vs 1 you get a decent amount of AP.

1 single sniper shouldnt be an issue if you simply hold down your block button...if block works. for me it doesnt since two weaks for what ever reason and even I dont get killed by single snipers all day long.

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huntler wrote: »
    Columba wrote: »
    WebBull wrote: »
    Bow is so powerful it is almost required in every build. It should not be this way.

Except against DKs, shields, harness, dodge,block,..........and the 2 dozen other ways that decent players negate arrows. Simply listen for the snipe. Lol I only die once or so a night from snipe or it's variants. Very simple to avoid.

[...]

the general problem with his statement beside RS aka flaps all listed abilites screw not only one but due to the lower dmg in most cases 2-3 melee attacks while only affecting one snipe...
    if bow would be so screwed as he tries to make everyone believe you would not see a bow population out side of organized bombingsquads of nearly 99%...

Sneak attack damage was not nerfed on bows. I figured you knew that. All of us that used snipe prior to 1.5 saw no change in the damage after.

Things like ambush and surprise attack, yeah, but snipe and bow heavy attacks for some reason didnt drop at all.

thats right but connected to the CT reduction of snipe - the % increased dmg by using it out of stealth compared to unstealthed is still the same as prior to the patch.

[Moderator Note: Removed moderated quote]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on January 20, 2015 1:15PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• ThyIronFist
    ThyIronFist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think a spammable, highest damaging, longest range, and cheap skill is perfectly fine. Then I'm sorry but you're an idiot.

There is NOTHING in this game that outranges snipe, no gapcloser can even get close, and from stealth people are able to do 2k+ hits.

Someone I know that was in fulll heavy, got 3-shotted by this crap. Even guildies that play / played a NB with bow consider the curreny state of bows/snipe redicilous.

And dont tell me to L2P or block/rolldodge. If I am sieging a keep, pouring oil, etc, I cant block now can I?
    The Elder Zergs Online
    Sainur Ironfist - DK - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Retired
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think a spammable, highest damaging, longest range, and cheap skill is perfectly fine. Then I'm sorry but you're an idiot.

There is NOTHING in this game that outranges snipe, no gapcloser can even get close, and from stealth people are able to do 2k+ hits.

Someone I know that was in fulll heavy, got 3-shotted by this crap. Even guildies that play / played a NB with bow consider the curreny state of bows/snipe redicilous.

And dont tell me to L2P or block/rolldodge. If I am sieging a keep, pouring oil, etc, I cant block now can I?

L2D - Learn to Die lol
    FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.
    Balance is a "Bad" thing.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Balance is a "Bad" thing.
    Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ItsMeToo wrote: »

L2D - Learn to Die lol

I think you have coined a new term.

There are way too many "lolol I'm unkillable and tank everyone" people out there who can't accept that they can die, just like the bow users do once they get charged by someone.

Tankqull wrote: »

thats right but connected to the CT reduction of snipe - the % increased dmg by using it out of stealth compared to unstealthed is still the same as prior to the patch.

That is only the case if you spam Snipe, which is not the case when we're talking about experienced players.

Generally, you use Snipe only once in a rotation if you're a good player.
    Spamming snipe, it takes 3-4~ seconds to deal enough "burst" to kill someone at full health, while other rotations allow you to deal same burst instantly.
  • murtugo
    murtugo
    ✭✭✭
    Stop your QQ posts.

I am not a bow user. I am using S & B and DW . I don't think bow is OP. Bow users are actually soft and very easy to kill. I have no problem dealing with them because i have enough stamina to block, dodge and roll.

If you frequently die against bow users then I guess the problem is your build. I think you don't have enough stamina to block and dodge. I suggest that you change your build. But you should understand that every build has its weakness (except if you're a DK). It is just part of the game.
    Edited by murtugo on January 20, 2015 1:03PM
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

• You are squishier and can actually die, which means you have to time dodge rolls perfectly & have a good reaction time.
    • To actually get kills (unless playing with 12 other archers), you don't spam snipe. Spamming snipe gets you no kills (unless opponent is a potato). There are ways of "one shotting" (read: getting past eternal block+dmg shield/heal) people, while spamming Snipe takes a minimum of 3-4 seconds to kill someone at full health.
    • You need situational awareness as a stealthy character, you cannot rush in & expect to kill the whole enemy raid. You have to actually take your targets 1 by 1 and relocate yourself when you draw attention, or risk dying.
    • One missed button press or a stroke of bad luck likely means your death, so there is no room for mistakes.

Yep, it takes a lot of skill pew-pewing distant low health targets from stealth. Don't strain your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

Bow takes zero skill. It's by far the worst weapon line for anyone to even attempt and say it takes skill. Furthest range, significant damage, heal debuffs and interrupts.
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • Nacario
    Nacario
    ✭✭✭
    Ive recently started sniping and it shines when i am in stealth and able to pick of unknowing targets. I consider it a 1v1 when the target is not in battle and on his way from a to b and not involved in a fight with someone else. Often he dies to 3 4 snipes inbetween auto attack/poisoned arrow or with magnum shot if he manage to go for me. Whats baffling is that most of the time my targets are eating the first stun or looking around themselves while spamming their shields and heal. Rarely do I see them blocking appropriatly or dodge out of it. Many dont know how to deal with it and automatically seem to think snipe the godmode it isnt. Ive never once died to snipe when i was magica melee NB in 1v1 as I dont eat snipes willingly. And lets not forget that a Dk and any decent magica class/build with a know how eats snipers for breakfast.
    Edited by Nacario on January 20, 2015 2:27PM
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't forget to bring a bag to go potty in while you hide back in the bushes ;)
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Bow takes zero skill. It's by far the worst weapon line for anyone to even attempt and say it takes skill. Furthest range, significant damage, heal debuffs and interrupts.

Really?
    I'd like to see a 1vX or 1v1 (against good players) clip from you (or anyone else) utilizing bow, if it takes no skill as you say.
    Since it's so "op" and takes no skill, that should be easy, right? ;)