The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mac client Crashes getting worse every patch...

Volla
Volla
✭✭✭
I don't feel nothing really been changed for mac but instead got worse over time.
Is anything being focused on this issue's at all ?

Client Crash in Cyrodiil ever 15-20 min + the error reporter crash with it so i cant send error file. I have to Force Quit the error reporter to be able to reload the client again.
In Cyrodiil it seems like large areas of groups tend to crash client more often.

Sometimes my loading screen comes up for 1 sec then i know i'm close to a crash.

My computer - Macbook Pro late 2013 Retina

Software OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2,6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.19f3
Intel Iris Pro
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Anyone else have same issue?

Hoping for a big Mac fix soon

//cheers

• Ashurek20
    Ashurek20
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same issue. It is a nightmare play in Cyrodiil and crash each 30 minutes.

I love this game, especially PvP. Please Fix it as soon as posible.

Macbook Pro late 2013 Retina

2,4 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

OS X 10.9.3

Intel Iris
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The situation in PvP has not really changed much since the original thread on this which sets out the overall memory crash issue in big battle PvP in Cyrodiil.

There are some items in the latest Patch Notes for 1.2.3 which relate directly to fixing crashes in groups in PvP which may help generally, though previous fixes for lag in PvP did not seem to make a big difference. Hopefully this will. I am still downloading the update (EU today) so can't check yet.
    Inviting other player characters into a large group who are in a different zone will no longer cause de-syncing issues or disconnects from the game.

There are no Mac specific items in the latest Patch Notes so I don't think there will be much change in the actual Mac client from this Update.
    Edited by Moonraker on June 25, 2014 4:06PM
  • viktorcodeneb18_ESO
    I can attest that it no better in PvE than before. I’m crashing every hour or two. When I see a crash report, it clearly isn’t memory related (way below peak memory). Haven’t started Cirodill yet because everybody else’s saying it is still unplayable.
  • viktorcodeneb18_ESO
    Additional info: I think I was too hasty in presuming it isn’t memory related issue. After the last crash I checked the console log (accessible with Console application) and there was it:
    02/07/14 10:17:31,427 pm eso[8297]: eso(8297,0xb06ab000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=8392704) failed (error code=3)
    *** error: can't allocate region
    *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

This is a low level memory allocation. Unfortunately, I closed crash report automatically without checking peak and current memory values. However, the idea is this: whe TESO crashes, it wouldn’t hurt to check the log. Maybe there’ll be some more useful info.
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. This. It is pretty unbearable.
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • siuolly
    siuolly
    ✭✭✭
    Yep....the game can't run an hour straight without crashing... crashes every 15 min or so in Cyrodiil. Doesn't have to be in large battle. After 15 minutes, sometimes I was inside a keep and all it take is go to the vendor and open up the purchase window and boom... crashes.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Additional info: I think I was too hasty in presuming it isn’t memory related issue. After the last crash I checked the console log (accessible with Console application) and there was it:
    02/07/14 10:17:31,427 pm eso[8297]: eso(8297,0xb06ab000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=8392704) failed (error code=3)
    *** error: can't allocate region
    *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

This is a low level memory allocation. Unfortunately, I closed crash report automatically without checking peak and current memory values. However, the idea is this: whe TESO crashes, it wouldn’t hurt to check the log. Maybe there’ll be some more useful info.
    That's the normal memory crash error in the Apple crash report. Just confirms the known memory issue which the developer's continue to work to resolve.

There can be and are other reasons for crashes as we have seen from crash reports not close to the memory limit especially in Cyrodiil. It's hard to know exactly what they are but did appear mainly server side or network.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    siuolly wrote: »
    Yep....the game can't run an hour straight without crashing... crashes every 15 min or so in Cyrodiil. Doesn't have to be in large battle. After 15 minutes, sometimes I was inside a keep and all it take is go to the vendor and open up the purchase window and boom... crashes.
    If your Mac is crashing every hour then either the settings are too high for the computer or it's in areas with a lot of other players or grouped. The average period to crash generally is 2-3-4 hours depending on settings, Mac , activity etc. Sometimes it can be longer or maybe shorter but mainly 2+hours seems realistic for most.

You can get a better idea of how the server load effects the Mac client by playing on the public PTS server and comparing to live. Generally in the same activity it crashes less due mainly to the lower population and greater stability.
    Edited by Moonraker on July 3, 2014 2:56AM
  • Volla
    Volla
    ✭✭✭
    Well i tried all .. low super medium ... its same crash frequency, nothing changes. the illusion that less graphic would affect the stability is false.

the only state that help FPS rate was the occlusion button really. Turned off it was beneficial in Cyrodiil.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Volla wrote: »
    Well i tried all .. low super medium ... its same crash frequency, nothing changes. the illusion that less graphic would affect the stability is false.
    There is no illusion about the process using around 1/4 less memory switching texture quality from High to Medium, for example. It's a fact. Given that it is a 'memory' issue and freeing more memory will at least extend time between crashes, it is sound advice and accurate.

You can test this yourself by setting Ultra High for example then launch and view the Real Memory used in Activity Monitor. Then set to Low and repeat. The size is notably smaller. Reducing to High > Medium> Low will also show reductions.
    the only state that help FPS rate was the occlusion button really. Turned off it was beneficial in Cyrodiil.
    You are mixing up the memory issue and performance (FPS) which are totally separate things.

If you want to improve FPS the biggest difference is from reducing Shadow Quality to Low or Off. View Distance also has a larger impact (less the draw on grid), which is highlighted in the updated Known Issues (Mac) sticky (and stated plenty of times previously)
    Graphics:
    How to show frames per second in game
    Enter: "/fps" in the chat window
    This will let you see your frame rate in the top left corner of the screen.

Performance hints:
    The general settings of high, medium, and low influence more than just the visible settings. They also influence the quality level of the shadows being used.
    It is generally better to start on high settings and turn off features then it is to go directly to medium settings.

Shadows are REALLY SLOW to draw.
    To draw the shadows, ESO has to draw every 3D object casting a shadow a second time.
    The easiest way to get more speed out of ESO is to simply turn the shadows down to low or off.
    source
    Note the part about default settings then lowering. Other settings can also help though they tend to be in lower increments.

Generally, there is little real difference in performance between the PC & Mac clients in this regard.
  • Volla
    Volla
    ✭✭✭
    i don't talk about the performance. i'm talking about the crashes in cyrodiil
  • circilion
    circilion
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same issue @volla , I can PVE for about 3 hours before the crash. But PVP I get 15 minutes. Sometimes less.

It makes me really sad :(. I bought this game specifically for the PVP. Although from what I have heard there are still some links to work out of it anyways. Thank goodness I am still young and have nothing but time to wait for the fixes...

>:)
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Volla wrote: »

Agreed; my crash rate is unchanged no matter what settings i use. I can lower graphics ridiculously and frame rates improve dramatically, but the rate of crashing is the same if i put graphics on medium and get a frame rate of 10-15 fps.
  • tttopperub17_ESO
    Odd, I seem to be crashing less after this week's update. :::knock on wood:::

@Moonraker and all: I primarily play PvE with a lot of exploring. (comment added
    July 4)
    Edited by tttopperub17_ESO on July 4, 2014 6:51PM
  • siuolly
    siuolly
    ✭✭✭
    Whether I use ultra, high, or medium, the crash frequency is the same. With the same settings, pve last much longer.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think you need to differentiate between PvP Cyrodiil where the crash is more frequent and faster so differences are less noticeable and PVE where it is.

If you want to actually test this follow the instructions posted above and/ or post crash reports after settings change would show the actual crash frequency more accurately.

Consider that the memory issue is when the process is using up memory and not releasing it over time, therefore having more memory available will extend time to crash. It's still an issue just how it is measured and effected by certain settings (texture quality etc.)
  • viktorcodeneb18_ESO
    Crashed again. Memory consumption is pretty low according to report and still the same crash with the same console message occurred. It’s not Cyrodiil by the way. Can’t do PvP; it just don’t work on Mac.

What was different is that I reduced graphics to ‘High’ with a couple of custom enhancements. It seems this allowed me to play for about half an hour comparing to the usual 10-15 mins after the 1.2 patches. So, it could be that the lower graphics you have, the fewer memory allocations is needed along the course of the game, and thus the lesser chance to crash with that bad 8 MB allocation.

Will continue investigating.
  • _subjectnamehere_
    _subjectnamehere_
    ✭✭✭
    I am still getting memory leak crashed even though Zenimax tells us they fixed it in previous patches.

Even if I am in a raid with 11 other players outside of Cyrodiil, the game still crashes. I send in those reports everytime.

I really hope they solve this soon so I can play the game on the settings that my machine is designed for.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am still getting memory leak crashed even though Zenimax tells us they fixed it in previous patches.

Even if I am in a raid with 11 other players outside of Cyrodiil, the game still crashes. I send in those reports everytime.

I really hope they solve this soon so I can play the game on the settings that my machine is designed for.
    The didn't say it was resolved just that fixes were put in as they found issues. As it is more than one issue it means that the issue has been improved but not finally resolved. They continue to work on it from what has been said.
  • viktorcodeneb18_ESO
    Okay, after whole day of playing and crashing, here’s the situation:

Most crashes were happening after I teleported to somewhere, entered some place, etc. — anything that caused the loading screen to appear. Shortly after that screen there was a crash. Other crashes were happening during intense fightings.

Every time when the game window were still in place when the crash report appeared, the virtual memory for the process was very close to 4GB. This is a limit of what 32-bit process can have in 64-bit environment. You can check it yourself from Activity Monitor, by looking at eso info.

Note, it doesn’t correlate closely with real memory consumption. Real allocated memory can be way off peak, and still we’ll have this virtual memory crash.

Memory leaks that originate directly from allocating data were fixed, probably. At least, real memory consumption is significantly lower now than it was before patches 1 and 2. Virtual memory, however, is another story.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, after whole day of playing and crashing, here’s the situation:

Most crashes were happening after I teleported to somewhere, entered some place, etc. — anything that caused the loading screen to appear. Shortly after that screen there was a crash. Other crashes were happening during intense fightings.

Every time when the game window were still in place when the crash report appeared, the virtual memory for the process was very close to 4GB. This is a limit of what 32-bit process can have in 64-bit environment. You can check it yourself from Activity Monitor, by looking at eso info.

Note, it doesn’t correlate closely with real memory consumption. Real allocated memory can be way off peak, and still we’ll have this virtual memory crash.

Memory leaks that originate directly from allocating data were fixed, probably. At least, real memory consumption is significantly lower now than it was before patches 1 and 2. Virtual memory, however, is another story.
    Quite correct. The Real memory does appear to reflect fixes that have gone in and can be below the memory threshold before crash, generally around 2.7GB of RAM (usually a bit higher now up to 3GB) The VM still will reach the 3.7GB approximate limit and crash and remains the issue. It shows that progress is being made but there are still underlying issues to be addressed.
  • Volla
    Volla
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the mac client rarely crash now :D