Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Succumbing to Use Add-ons

ThePonzzz
ThePonzzz
✭✭✭✭✭
So, I tend to be a purist when it comes to games, and not use mods or UI adjustments. But I feel I need to surrender that mindset, as I need some quality of life adjustments for general gameplay.

So my question here is, how do I know an add-on is safe to use? I've heard some horror stories about some of them. I know this is a pretty newb question, but anything to put my mind at ease would be helpful.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think that all of the popular add-onds are safe to use. The ones that are up-to-date and have 100s of 1000s of downloads have competent authors and should be safe.
    Like FTC, Azura, Skyshards, Combat Cloud etc.

Btw, I know where you are coming from in the purist POV but the amount of QoL from some of these add-ons is simply to large to ignore. And also, I like setting up my UI to be juuuust right :-P
  • katkat42
    katkat42
    ✭✭✭
    There has been a total of one add-on with malicious code in it. Just one. It was removed from ESOUI within hours, and GMs were restoring the damage done -- even to people who didn't realize yet that they'd been hit.

If you mean you want to avoid slowdowns and crashes due to poor coding, go with only the most popular and up-to-date add-ons, and be sparing in your selection.

If you mean you want to avoid unintended consequences, say, an auto-junking add-on junking something you wanted to keep, go through the settings carefully, turn off features with words like "auto-destroy," and check your junk before selling.

Honestly, I don't think I've met a bad egg in the add-on authors community yet. I've seen people get bored with ESO, and I've seen people get volunteer burn-out, but I haven't met anyone who wasn't polite and helpful.

Plus, we have cookies! B)
    Stonehenge ROCKS!
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    I think that all of the popular add-onds are safe to use. The ones that are up-to-date and have 100s of 1000s of downloads have competent authors and should be safe.
    Like FTC, Azura, Skyshards, Combat Cloud etc.
    Agreed. Really the main issue with add-ons is when they are not updated after a patch. Do yourself a favor and get Minion. It's a stand alone program that makes installing and removing add-ons a breeze, not to mention an easy way to keep them updated. Do a search, and you can find many threads recommending add-ons. Some of my favorites are AwesomeGuildStore, AdvancedFilters, SousChef, just to name a few.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    I felt the same way, then I saw someone's screenshot of something that looked really, really useful. Then I decided to get it and several others that I liked the look of. Regrettably, one of the very best crafting ones got removed.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just want to say, I appreciate everyone's feedback. I added AwesomeGuildStore, Advanced Filters, SousChef, and MultiCraft. I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of SousChef, but probably because I've already filtered a lot of what I keep. Probably will become far more useful with Update 6 though.

AwesomeGuildStore probably saves me 30 minutes alone by saving my filters.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I felt the same way, then I saw someone's screenshot of something that looked really, really useful. Then I decided to get it and several others that I liked the look of. Regrettably, one of the very best crafting ones got removed.
    You're probably referring to CraftStore, whose author pulled support. AIResearch is a good replacement. And I find Wyykds Toolbar has very useful research timers.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    You're probably referring to CraftStore, whose author pulled support. AIResearch is a good replacement. And I find Wyykds Toolbar has very useful research timers.

Darn straight I was referring to Craftstore, and it's still better than AIResearchGrid (AIRG). I don't like swapping between craft skills, nor do I like the wasted space of showing non-applicable traits on gear. I do like AIRG's icons for racial motifs though.

I have both but I usually just use CS, partly because of the Hireling Timer and partly because it tells me which Alt has researched which traits and whether a trait is researched on the account at all, without having to change to a separate window selection.

I dread the thought that CS might stop working with 1.6 and no one will have constructed a nice Hireling friendly Timer. I'll look into Wykkyd's toolbar then, I think. I'm also worried about the value of Sous chef when 1.6 is released, the poor creator would have a lot of work to make it current I suspect.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

Darn straight I was referring to Craftstore, and it's still better than AIResearchGrid (AIRG). I don't like swapping between craft skills, nor do I like the wasted space of showing non-applicable traits on gear. I do like AIRG's icons for racial motifs though.

I have both but I usually just use CS, partly because of the Hireling Timer and partly because it tells me which Alt has researched which traits and whether a trait is researched on the account at all, without having to change to a separate window selection.

I dread the thought that CS might stop working with 1.6 and no one will have constructed a nice Hireling friendly Timer. I'll look into Wykkyd's toolbar then, I think. I'm also worried about the value of Sous chef when 1.6 is released, the poor creator would have a lot of work to make it current I suspect.

LOL I'm still using CS too, though, I won't need it once I finish nirnhoned. It will then be obsolete :'(
    PC/NA/DC