The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Solo quests - does the XP reward scale with character level?

Gyudan
Gyudan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
The level of some quests (mages guild, fighters guild, main, ...) scales with the character's level.

Does it work the same way for the XP and gold received when the quest is turned in after completion?
For example, if I do the portion of the main quest unlocked at level 10 as a VR1 character, with VR1 enemies, will I get XP and gold for VR1 or for level 10?
Wololo.

Best Answer

• MercutioElessar
    MercutioElessar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Afaik, they don't give less exp if they are scaled.
    Let's take the Mages Guild example Did it with three chars on the appropriate lvl and once, just days ago, with a char way under the suggested lvl (25 instead of 43) and didn't experience any less exp or a difference at all.
    If I've ever offended you,
    just know that from the bottom of my heart,
    I really don't give a ***.

Answer ✓
  • Bloodystab
    Bloodystab
    ✭✭✭✭
    All quest are colored. I think if You level up in the middle of quest and u turn it back while it changed from Yellow to Green You get less XP.

But im not 100% sure never tested, its just what i think.
  • Lord_Kreegan
    Lord_Kreegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    The level of some quests (mages guild, fighters guild, main, ...) scales with the character's level.

Does it work the same way for the XP and gold received when the quest is turned in after completion?
    For example, if I do the portion of the main quest unlocked at level 10 as a VR1 character, with VR1 enemies, will I get XP and gold for VR1 or for level 10?
    The levels of the Mages Guild, Fighters Guild, and Main quests have a MINIMUM level, so the level of the quest as indicated in your quest log is not necessarily correct. That can be problematic when you find you have mobs significantly higher than the character's level (especially the boss mobs).

The color of the quest title (based on personal experience) in the log is not a good indicator. IMHO, this is a major screwup by ZOS... however [sarcasm] we all know ZOS never screws up, [/sarcasm] so I don't expect them to fix this any time soon.

When I have out-leveled those quests, the mobs leveled with my characters and the drops seemed appropriate to the character's level (for gear). I didn't pay too much attention to whether or not the gold award was appropriate for the leveled-up quest.

I am pretty sure that loot drops are tied to the mobs' levels, not the players'; so if the mob levels up, its loot will, too.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm specifically refering to quests that adjust to the character's level, not the regular quests from alliance zones.
    Any input for those?
    Wololo.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone is trying to game the Champion Point system aren't they?

This is one of my big fears of the Champion Point system. What happens when within 2 days of it going live people figure out all kinds of exploits, like "running Castle of the Worm at VR14 instead of L20 gives you 50 bazillion XP and 2257 Champion Points!!!"

It was a hassle to get to VR14 but it did not take that long to do legitimately. But when players find unintended grind spots and exploits and in a few days max out a system intended to take years to max out, how is that going to be handled?

I mean, it isn't even on PTS yet and people are looking for loopholes! :(
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Someone is trying to game the Champion Point system aren't they?

This is one of my big fears of the Champion Point system. What happens when within 2 days of it going live people figure out all kinds of exploits, like "running Castle of the Worm at VR14 instead of L20 gives you 50 bazillion XP and 2257 Champion Points!!!"

It was a hassle to get to VR14 but it did not take that long to do legitimately. But when players find unintended grind spots and exploits and in a few days max out a system intended to take years to max out, how is that going to be handled?

I mean, it isn't even on PTS yet and people are looking for loopholes! :(

Not really. Since I do every single quest in the game with all my characters, not doing the main quest and mages/fighters guild quests is the only way for them not to overlevel the content too much. Previously I was at least 4 levels above everything by the time I reached Alik'r, which led me to start Coldharbour around level 48 (super high, VR1 at a third of the map and 0 XP afterwards). Now I'm around the same level as the quests I'm doing, which is a bit more interesting.

Since I'll be saving the solo (scaling) quests for when I'm VR1, I was expecting a bit more than the equivalent XP of a level 5 player when I finally decide to listen to the prophet present the Companions for the 100th time.

So, before you flame me for no reason, maybe you'd like to share how many quests you've completed with your amazing characters? For my part I have 2 characters with "tamriel hero" title, my main is at 13K achievement points and my other characters haven't gotten XP from anything but quests and regular mob fights. 0 grind.

Wololo.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quest rewards are based on the level the quest is listed as in the Journal. So if you are doing the scaled quests at Lvl 49, the rewards will all be appropriate for a Lvl 49 quest.
    • Regarding scaling down: quests do not scale downwards, so a Lvl 43 scalable quest will always be a Lvl 43 quest until you hit Lvl 44.
    • Regarding quest colours: a green or grey quest of a particular level gives the same amount of XP as a yellow or orange quest; but the reward is relatively lower as it gives you less progress towards the next level since each level requires more XP to reach.
    Edited by Enodoc on January 5, 2015 1:16PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp