The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How come we couldn't have more unique ways to skill our characters like past ES games had such as...

divinitywithinnub18_ESO
Ideas from past ES games:
i.imgur.com/HZRntry.jpg
HZRntry.jpg

-Acrobatics skill enables one to jump long distances and to avoid damage when falling from great heights.

-Athletics skill trains and conditions one for running and swimming.

-Mercantile skill is the art of buying low and selling high.

-Security skill lets you open locked doors and containers with lockpicks more effectively.

-Unarmored skill lets one avoid or reduce injury during combat while not wearing any armor by evading, deflecting, or absorbing blows. Those versed in this skill are better defended wearing no armor at all than they are when wearing armor.

-Armorer skill is used to maintain weapons and armor at top effectiveness. (aka, so you dont have to Repair so often).
Edit: I know we have the Trait for this one, but its almost impractical to use instead of the other possible Traits. Perhaps if we can have the option in the future for crafters to be able to add 2 traits onto a piece of armor, people might be more inclined to use 'Sturdy'.

Things like Block and Sneak can be increased with Armor Passives and Abilities, but why not have another way to build it up to allow you to create a more solid build.

(Of course you all see Hand-to-Hand and Spear on here too.)

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself and we will see some of these ideas added in the Champion System?
Edited by divinitywithinnub18_ESO on December 30, 2014 1:15PM
  • risen1981
    risen1981
    ✭✭
    doubt it, this is just a prettier version of guildwars2 :)
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or does dancing shredder chick look like she is missing a few things.
    Edited by Armitas on December 30, 2014 11:47AM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because most of these are really quite pointless, and many are in any case covered by a few passives. There really isn't any need for an entire progression for better repair prices, for example. It's cheap enough as it is unless you're addicted to dying or something. Likewise for merchant prices.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on December 30, 2014 11:54AM
  • divinitywithinnub18_ESO
    Because most of these are really quite pointless, and many are in any case covered by a few passives. There really isn't any need for an entire progression for better repair prices, for example. It's cheap enough as it is unless you're addicted to dying or something. Likewise for merchant prices.
    Rarely is anything actually pointless. These would add Depth into the game and give the players more choices and option of how to build a character. Which is always nice.
    It is true that we have some of these ideas in other forms of ways in game currently, like Sprinting speed on Medium armor, or Sturdy trait on armor. But, I was thinking more of a general character improvement method. Really having more ways to build our characters up.

risen1981 wrote: »
    Please dont tell me its a MMO flaw, and we wont have the in depth character advancements that we saw in solo titles.
    I really dont want to go down the rabbit hole of the dumbed down future aspect that has been talked of before. Where things just get more bland as we go on and more 'easy mode' in general for most games.
  • risen1981
    risen1981
    ✭✭
    Please dont tell me its a MMO flaw, and we wont have the in depth character advancements that we saw in solo titles.
    I really dont want to go down the rabbit hole of the dumbed down future aspect that has been talked of before. Where things just get more bland as we go on and more 'easy mode' in general for most games.

I'm sorry but... what? :D
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rarely is anything actually pointless. These would add Depth into the game and give the players more choices and option of how to build a character. Which is always nice.
    It is true that we have some of these ideas in other forms of ways in game currently, like Sprinting speed on Medium armor, or Sturdy trait on armor. But, I was thinking more of a general character improvement method. Really having more ways to build our characters up.

What you're looking for may or may not be covered by the Champion system. but either way I can tell you I am not at all interested in Athletics and Acrobatics in Oblivion compared to say Alteration and Mysticism.

Pointless complexity does not equal depth. Something can be complex yet offer zero depth. Adding a bunch of extra "progression" that don't have any real choices involved is what I'd consider pointless complexity. Now, if you had to choose between progressing in different things (i.e. how the Champion system does it), then it would add depth.

On the other hand if the choices have negligible impact (e.g. better shop prices vs better repair costs, both of which are low to begin with) then it still falls in the pointless complexity category.

Edited by ThatHappyCat on December 30, 2014 1:55PM
  • miahq
    miahq
    ✭✭✭

What you're looking for may or may not be covered by the Champion system. but either way I can tell you I am not at all interested in Athletics and Acrobatics in Oblivion compared to say Alteration and Mysticism.

Pointless complexity does not equal depth. Something can be complex yet offer zero depth. Adding a bunch of extra "progression" that don't have any real choices involved is what I'd consider pointless complexity. Now, if you had to choose between progressing in different things (i.e. how the Champion system does it), then it would add depth.

On the other hand if the choices have negligible impact (e.g. better shop prices vs better repair costs, both of which are low to begin with) then it still falls in the pointless complexity category.

You keep choosing to focus on the most bland skills you can though as examples. And honestly I'd disagree those skills were so bland to begin with. Some may have been rolled into others, but the point still remains that RPGs-- and elder scrolls in particular, have been becoming increasingly streamlined. They've gotten rid of stats like strength and endurance, they've at this point also gotten rid of the different magic skill sets even, there are fewer weapon skills to chose from, and even within those categories they're nowhere near as in depth.

Instead of a destruction skill set for instance that would've allowed you to advance in different elements to unlock different morphs or give you the opportunity to discover new skills for those elements through game play, they just made dk fire mages, sorcerers lightning mages and summoners, etc etc.

If they'd adopted a system more like oblivion even rather than skyrim, the depth of what you could've done with your builds would've been far greater. Instead we've just got four classes to chose from.

If they wanted those four classes to exist, they should've made it something that you could learn out in the game through quest lines. Instead it's just sort of a stripped down idea of what an rpg is supposed to be. People talk about rerolling characters... well what are you rerolling? You've ten times more choice in what your character looks like than you do in how they're built. And you can change your point distribution as often as you like, basically. So where is the depth and variety?

Just because speech craft might not be the most useful skill, doesn't mean the game doesn't also lack much depth.

Its like what miahq was saying above. Recently with games, they have been dumbed down. ESO in particular is lacking so much in customization for builds compared to previous titles. Everything is too planned out, and doesnt allow us to really make difficult choices.
    4 classes is nothing. There is no customization, just a few Morphs to choose from yet most of them are worthless to begin with. The morph animations dont even look different from one another. So, we are all looking the same, using the same abilities, fighting the same classes. Give us another 4-8 classes and you will start to see more variety. Weapons fall under the same category. Give us another 6 different weapon trees and it will be easy to see the difference in how the game feels.
    More choices = more enjoyment. Bland is not fun.
    But my post was about the lesser skills. Things that could have been in the game that would have allowed for more interesting ways grow with your character through its experiences. Getting things handed to you on a silver platter isnt fun. Make us work for things, then we will feel more accomplished when we get it.

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ideas from past ES games:
    i.imgur.com/HZRntry.jpg
    HZRntry.jpg

-Acrobatics skill enables one to jump long distances and to avoid damage when falling from great heights.

-Athletics skill trains and conditions one for running and swimming.

-Mercantile skill is the art of buying low and selling high.

-Security skill lets you open locked doors and containers with lockpicks more effectively.

-Unarmored skill lets one avoid or reduce injury during combat while not wearing any armor by evading, deflecting, or absorbing blows. Those versed in this skill are better defended wearing no armor at all than they are when wearing armor.

-Armorer skill is used to maintain weapons and armor at top effectiveness. (aka, so you dont have to Repair so often).
    Edit: I know we have the Trait for this one, but its almost impractical to use instead of the other possible Traits. Perhaps if we can have the option in the future for crafters to be able to add 2 traits onto a piece of armor, people might be more inclined to use 'Sturdy'.

Things like Block and Sneak can be increased with Armor Passives and Abilities, but why not have another way to build it up to allow you to create a more solid build.

(Of course you all see Hand-to-Hand and Spear on here too.)

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself and we will see some of these ideas added in the Champion System?
    -
    awesome post, i agree with you and as allways anything morrowind related = me happy :)

• Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give us another 4-8 classes and you will start to see more variety. Weapons fall under the same category. Give us another 6 different weapon trees and it will be easy to see the difference in how the game feels.

Who knows what future expansions may bring?
  • risen1981
    risen1981
    ✭✭

Its like what miahq was saying above. Recently with games, they have been dumbed down. ESO in particular is lacking so much in customization for builds compared to previous titles. Everything is too planned out, and doesnt allow us to really make difficult choices.
    4 classes is nothing. There is no customization, just a few Morphs to choose from yet most of them are worthless to begin with. The morph animations dont even look different from one another. So, we are all looking the same, using the same abilities, fighting the same classes. Give us another 4-8 classes and you will start to see more variety. Weapons fall under the same category. Give us another 6 different weapon trees and it will be easy to see the difference in how the game feels.
    More choices = more enjoyment. Bland is not fun.
    But my post was about the lesser skills. Things that could have been in the game that would have allowed for more interesting ways grow with your character through its experiences. Getting things handed to you on a silver platter isnt fun. Make us work for things, then we will feel more accomplished when we get it.

I'm fully aware of that, but my confusion was, he is quoting me when i didn't disagree with him.

Tbh i couldn't agree more... this generic, dumb-down version (but with pretty graphics) is really bad.

Werewolf patch wich i been waiting for a long time was a disappointment and if 1.6 dosen't win me over.. it's bye bye
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would sure love to use a spear:)
    or a pole arm.... yes. definitely a pole arm
    Lynnessa wrote: »

Who knows what future expansions may bring?
    Sadfully no.
    We can only hope.
    There has been no talk whatsoever about expansions that I know of. We seem to be getting everything from updates. Even Zones are an update thing. The soon to be Murkmire and Wrothgar.