The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Let's Talk Poison Mist

Kevingway
Kevingway
✭✭✭
I've always been fascinated by this skill for some strange reason, so I'd like to get as much use out of it as possible.

There are many effects that reduce a target's damage done: Low Slash, Dark Shades, the concussion status effect, etc. Using these in conjunction with Poison Mist, you can possibly reduce your damage taken by as much as 90%. Is it effective? Probably not as much as I'd like to think, but worth trying in pinch situations.

More interesting to me, however, is poison damage. I love the poison damage that can be dealt with bows, the one Snipe morph even having a poison status effect that can be placed on an enemy. So far, I haven't been able to proc a similar status effect from continued uses of Poison Mist like I can the burning effect from using fire spells. Are there any set bonuses that increase poison damage dealt/the chance to proc this effect? Does the effect exist outside of Snipe?

Of course, Poison Mist is most likely seen as a useless skill, but let's try to make the most of it here. What are our options? Synergies, boons, etc.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are the sets I know of that give bonuses to poison:

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Viper's+Sting+Set
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Nightshade+Set
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Morag+Tong+Set

Unfortunately none are crafted sets, so they may be hard to get. Of the 3, the morag tong set has the best bonus:

(2 items) Adds 16 Weapon Damage
    (3 items) Adds 86 Max Stamina
    (4 items) Adds 16 Weapon Damage
    (5 items) The Morag Tong: Your attacks cause targets to take 15% more damage from Poisons for 5 seconds.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Alexium
    Alexium
    ✭✭✭
    Nerf vampires! Oh, stop... Did I said this? Exactly I don't know why is this skill exists in the game. Another morph more useful especially with null Magicka regen. Using Elusive Mist, you can effective escape from hot spot of battle.
    Edited by Alexium on December 31, 2014 8:47PM
  • Kevingway
    Kevingway
    ✭✭✭
    That Morag Tong is amazing. I love that! I wonder how they would feel about vampires in their midst.

Are there any other ways?
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like this idea of a poison focused build, sort of a lich archetype, maybe?
    How is the actual damage output from poison mist?
  • Kevingway
    Kevingway
    ✭✭✭
    Not too great. It seems to be more of a survival skill than anything, but its one perk is that it's an area damage ability, meaning it shouldn't be blockable. Again, needs proper testing, but I like the idea of combining it with the Nightblade minions so as to drain stamina while also doing a bit more damage than you would with a blockable ability.

Please, please someone test it! Would be awesome to know if it's worth using at all.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem as I see it is that only Bow offers poison damage, apart from mist, and to utilize Morag Tong 5 piece you need daggers equipped.
    This means that the 15% poison damage will only buff the mist and neither Venom Arrow, Acid Spray, nor Lethal Arrow.
  • Kevingway
    Kevingway
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that's a pickle. So you'd almost have to eliminate the bow's application to a poison build and focus strictly on Poison Mist. In fact, that guarantees that you're only ever going to be a vampire wielding dagger/shield or dual wielding to make use of that set's 5-piece. Maybe that's worth giving some feedback about. Change that dang set to something other than a dagger.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yeah the set is more or less useless because of that I think.
  • Kevingway
    Kevingway
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like there has to be more we can do to optimize the use of poison. What sets supplement the bow in any way? Do they work for the bow's poison damage too? It could be as simple as sticking poison mist on one of those bars and calling it a theme, though without the poison mist greatness.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are some bow friendly sets but their names escape me right now.

edit: However, the ranged nature of the bow does not synergize in any obvious way with the PBAoE of poison mist.

Maybe dual wield with Viper's Sting set fits the theme better.
    Edited by Jitterbug on January 1, 2015 5:06PM
  • Kevingway
    Kevingway
    ✭✭✭
    If only I could equip that and Morag Tong.

Ugh. Haha.
  • CPT_CAPSLOCK
    CPT_CAPSLOCK
    ✭✭✭
    Morag Tong doesnt need the daggers, there are enough armor parts of it to get the 5 piece bonus with armor only.
    If u wanna go for a dmg reduction build, try cyrodiil light set. You then have 100% dmg reduction in mist form except fire dmg.
  • Kevingway
    Kevingway
    ✭✭✭
    I see 4 pieces on the Morag Tong: belt, helm, gloves, and pendant. That would mean equipping one dagger at all times to receive the bonus. Is there a more accurate source for information than the one I'm using linked above?
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the morag tong set would work if you apply damage over time poisons from the bow, then switch to dual wield and attack the target to apply the debuff.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • CPT_CAPSLOCK
    CPT_CAPSLOCK
    ✭✭✭
    The Database is just wrong (old). I am wearing the boots and i think there are also legs of it.