The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Macbook Pro 13in retina display

Letspretend96
Letspretend96
✭✭
I want to know if the game works well with a macbook pro retinal display 13in ...

I want to play the game in ultra graphics and I don't want it to be choppy.
the specs are
Macbook Pro
13-inch: 2.4GHz
with Retina display
Specifications
2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Graphics

PLEASE someone let me know, I can't find any information about this anywhere!!!
  • Tarwin
    Tarwin
    ✭✭✭
    Well these are the minim requirements

[ On Mac, the minimum system requirements are: ]

— Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7.0 or later,
    — Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo,
    — Video Card: Intel® HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M or ATI Radeon™ HD 6490M or better,
    — Memory: 4GB RAM,
    — Storage: 60GB,
    — Media: DVD-ROM,
    — Resolution: 1024 X 768 minimum display resolution.

So I think your Video card will be the "Choppy" as it is rated 2X Intel 4000HD performance
  • Letspretend96
    Letspretend96
    ✭✭
    I keep reading that its not choppy at all in other forums and that it looks great, I really need a professional to tell me what is right or wrong
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to know if the game works well with a macbook pro retinal display 13in ...

I want to play the game in ultra graphics and I don't want it to be choppy.
    the specs are
    Macbook Pro
    13-inch: 2.4GHz
    with Retina display
    Specifications
    2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Intel Iris Graphics

PLEASE someone let me know, I can't find any information about this anywhere!!!
    In a word no.

The main constraint is that you only have the Intel iris Graphics integrated graphics card which will use 1GB of system RAM. As a new MMO game it will not get close to running the game on Ultra-High, in fact not many Macs or even PC's do either in-game.

The system will determine the best graphics settings for you then you will adjust them depending on what visual quality you can get and want , and what performance in FPS is acceptable. Add into that the differing demands of the game i.e. in quieter questing areas or busy towns or PvP where it is much more demanding.

With the right settings it should not be 'choppy' for sure, though 'choppy' can be caused by other things like server-side lag (happens sometimes in peak hours currently) or latency of connection etc.

Those settings are more likely to be Low/Medium I suspect but don't have one myself to say. Most anyone using the MacBook Pro with Retina for gaming will have the discrete Nvidia GPU which is a lot more capable being discrete card and quite a bit more capable.

In the end it's still a portable computer and intended for general use hence why cooling and price dictate graphics card fitted.

Maybe someone with the same can say for sure but that's my take on it.

And you wont get a 'professional' opinion on a forum only fellow gamers who may use the same Mac.
  • Grigasaurus93
    Grigasaurus93
    Soul Shriven
    I have been using my macbook, Don't run the graphics on ultra high, only on high, but, hasn't been "choppy" has run really well. Actually been quite pleased considering as Moonraker stated, it is designed for portable general use, not gaming.

Battery life from 100% to zilch took about an hour and 45 minutes when not attached to the mains. I wouldn't not get ESO on the mac, but just don't expect the performance of an alienware.
  • bigbaddaboom0
    I have a 13" rMBP as well as one of the later non-retina iMacs. I've played ESO on both.

You will not be able to play ESO on the rMBP on ultra graphics settings. I have to run with most settings on low to get it playable. It looks awful on the rMBP when compared to my iMac, where I run everything on max settings. The difference is so large, that I don't even bother with my rMBP as its like two completely different games.