The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Weighted Weapon Trait

Pmarsico9
Pmarsico9
✭✭✭✭
Really, really bad. Like really bad.

Either it should be deleted entirely or bumped to like 30 or even 50% and actually do something.

It seems that animations are what they are for heavy attacks. I'd love to actually have this be useful, especially for two handed melee, but it's awful. It's not worth anything. Literally, it's a complete and total waste.

Considering how bad melee uptime can be on encounters, this should be a valuable trait, but it doesn't work. It doesn't speed up Wrecking Blow. It doesn't speed up heavy attacks. It literally does nothing.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good to know, although yesterday had been better seeing as I just crafted my new weapon with Weighted :P
  • Kraven
    Kraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same reason Rapid Strikes in dual wield no longer increases attack speed. Increasing attack speed in this game does nothing as it stands.
    Even the NB ability haste isn't used for the weapon attack speed but the other benefits of it once it's morphed, heavy attacks deal more damage or stamina recovery. The attack speed bonus itself is horrid and useless.

Weighted might be good if it shortened heavy attacks to 50%, but if it also worked on abilities it would be a bit OP.

You mention wrecking blow but look at the other abilities that having it affect weapon abilities would affect. Rapid strikes would channel faster, snipe would fire faster...In fact having it speed up light and heavy attacks only would be more than sufficient for it to be a trade off for precise atm, IMO.
    V14 - IMPERIAL NIGHTBLADE - DPS/TANK
    V13 - BRETON SORCERER - HEALS/DPS
    V2 - REDGUARD DRAGONKNIGHT - MELEE DPS
    V1 - BRETON TEMPLAR - TANK/DPS

to be continued... Nevermind, no longer "to be continued"
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Either way, it needs to actually speed up the animations. It doesn't right now.
  • Darkrogue671
    Darkrogue671
    ✭✭✭
    All of the skill characteristics are set for the sake of "game balance". That includes attack times and cool downs. So, yes, in the scope of things, weighted is completely useless.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    All of the skill characteristics are set for the sake of "game balance". That includes attack times and cool downs. So, yes, in the scope of things, weighted is completely useless.

"Game Balance?"

If a trait exists it should do something. There would be nothing gamebreaking about making two handed animations not take forever.
  • Darkrogue671
    Darkrogue671
    ✭✭✭
    @Pmarsico9‌ - I don't disagree with you at all. My point is that the devs change the duration and cool downs of some skills all in the name of game balance. Weighted would change those duration times of skill melee attacks. For example - Uppercut is worthless in PvP because of it's time to perform. If weighted actually made that half as long, people would be screeching like squashed cats in the name of "fairness" or "balance". Might be a bad example, but you get my point which is what ever that skill says what it does, it's what it's going to do no matter how weighted your item is.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Pmarsico9‌ - I don't disagree with you at all. My point is that the devs change the duration and cool downs of some skills all in the name of game balance. Weighted would change those duration times of skill melee attacks. For example - Uppercut is worthless in PvP because of it's time to perform. If weighted actually made that half as long, people would be screeching like squashed cats in the name of "fairness" or "balance". Might be a bad example, but you get my point which is what ever that skill says what it does, it's what it's going to do no matter how weighted your item is.

I understand completely. My point is that to consider this game balanced in any way shape or form is folly anyway. There's zero need to have entire crafting traits not be worth anything at all.
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    What if instead of speeding up attack animations (which is completely overpowered in my opinion) it could speed up your movement while readying heavy attacks.
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    What if instead of speeding up attack animations (which is completely overpowered in my opinion) it could speed up your movement while readying heavy attacks.

Please elaborate how that would be overpowered? Is it not overpowered that your weapon is the only non-set bonus piece to derive critical strike?
  • Kalman
    Kalman
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only way it is useful is if you are really good at animation canceling. Then you can get a full heavy attack in with resources back and animation cancel into block and abilities.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kalman wrote: »
    The only way it is useful is if you are really good at animation canceling. Then you can get a full heavy attack in with resources back and animation cancel into block and abilities.

Are you saying that it does do something? Because it doesn't. If it did, the animations would be sped up.
  • Gargragrond
    Gargragrond
    ✭✭✭
    Pmarsico9 wrote: »
    [quote="Kalman;1428177"
    Are you saying that it does do something? Because it doesn't. If it did, the animations would be sped up.

It does work, (at least if you just spam the basic attacks). You can verify this by counting how many attacks you do in a minute with or without the trait.
    You will see that there's a difference that's roughly equal to weighted trait %.

On related note, the basic attack times with different weapons (say staff vs. melee weapons) are quite different too (I wish they would tell these things instead of requiring everyone to test everything..)

The animations are not very well synced with the actual attack timings (e.g. you hit before the animation ends etc. ), so you can't really rely on animation to tell whether something actually works faster or not.
  • Kalman
    Kalman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wrong, it doesn't speed up the animations but it does decrease the actual attack time. We all know attacks are not tied to the animation. So yes if you are good at animation canceling it can be beneficial.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kalman wrote: »
    Wrong, it doesn't speed up the animations but it does decrease the actual attack time. We all know attacks are not tied to the animation. So yes if you are good at animation canceling it can be beneficial.

So essentially it's still worthless anyway. Because there's no point in time where it will outperform even Infused...........
  • Gargragrond
    Gargragrond
    ✭✭✭
    It does outperform infused with basic damage enchants (fire, shock etc) - the enchants procs only at every 4sec or so and the damage is weaker than that of basic light attack. So boosting light attacks by 10% is superior to 20% to enchant damage. You may still want to use infused (or powered) with some utility enchants though, say crushing, hardening etc.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    It does outperform infused with basic damage enchants (fire, shock etc) - the enchants procs only at every 4sec or so and the damage is weaker than that of basic light attack. So boosting light attacks by 10% is superior to 20% to enchant damage. You may still want to use infused (or powered) with some utility enchants though, say crushing, hardening etc.

I'd just use Precise tbh.