Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Weakness to Elements and Siphon Spirit.

Zsymon
Zsymon
✭✭✭✭
1. Does weakness to elements make much difference, damage wise, against monsters/players respectively, when using for example crushing shock?

2. Does crushing shock trigger siphon spirit just once or three times?

Thanks.
Edited by Zsymon on November 23, 2014 12:16PM

Best Answers

• ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes little difference damage-wise. Main reason to use it is as Elemental Drain, as Crushing Shock can proc the magicka return multiple times per cast.

Siphon Spirit however can only proc off Crushing Shock once, although it can proc off some (if not all) multi-hit skills (such as Puncturing Strikes) multiple times.
    Answer ✓
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zsymon wrote: »
    I've tested Elemental Drain with Crushing Shock, and it only procs once, it is not worth using at all, add to that the fact that spell resistance apparently doesn't work. :(

Crushing Shock does proc Elemental Drain more than once per cast. You can see this by using a combat log/scrolling combat text addon.

Mobs ATM don't have very much armour or resistances, which makes skills that reduce them rather weak in PvE. ZOS is aiming to address this as they implement the Champion system.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on November 23, 2014 3:34PM
    Answer ✓
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've tested Elemental Drain with Crushing Shock, and it only procs once, it is not worth using at all, add to that the fact that spell resistance apparently doesn't work. :(

If I have 2000 spell res, a monster will hit me for 500, if I have 300 spell res, the same monster will hit me for 503, it is completely insignificant. Maybe the individual resistances such as fire or cold work, but the spell resistance stat itself doesn't work in any noticeable way.

I assume spell resistance of monsters doesn't work either, making these debuff spells like Elemental Drain completely useless.
    Edited by Zsymon on November 23, 2014 2:35PM
  • tedsini_ESO
    tedsini_ESO
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with Zysmon here; I've used Elemental Drain with Crushing Shock time and again. I take it off my bar, then I read the description of the intended effects of Drain and I replace it. Then I check the readout from Combat Log Statistics (and a couple of other addons) and they confirm my own, admittedly unscientific, observations that this skill really doesn't do jack. I really wanted this skill to live up to its description - it should be awesome - but it just isn't.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then I check the readout from Combat Log Statistics (and a couple of other addons) and they confirm my own, admittedly unscientific, observations that this skill really doesn't do jack. I really wanted this skill to live up to its description - it should be awesome - but it just isn't.
    It does precisely what it says it does, restore Magicka when attacking with Flame, Shock or Frost. For shorter duration fights you'd be correct that it's basically worthless, but for long sustained fights it's quite helpful to have it and Siphon Spirit on a Boss (PvE) with 100% uptime. Also, @ThatHappyCat is correct, PvE NPC's basically have no armor/spell resist as of right now so the 40% spell pen doesn't really effect overall DPS more than a tiny amount. But if you require high DPS for a long period of time and can't afford to have Siphoning Attacks up for long (NB) or can't use Spell Symmetry often due to incoming damage and aren't a Sorc using Dark Exchange regularly the added Magicka replenishment is VERY helpful.