The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Leveling Skills at VR Cap

iuki
iuki
✭✭
Guide to Skill leveling at VR cap ->

Intro: At this time...leveling weapon skills, class abilities, etc is extremely slow once you are at cap (atm VR 12). I ground for days with groups but skill exp barely even moved (0-5 exp max per mob). Tried solo in VR zones but it was just as slow and even more annoying.

I looked over a handful of other skill exp guides (super rare) and all them tell you to level skills via quests...well when you are at cap and completed most of them you are out of luck...

Method:

1) Go to ColdHarbor
2) Use a destro staff with impulse
3) Slot skills you wish to level on the destruction tool bar
4) AoE grind mobs that are levels 46-49

Notes: do not be in a group and grind solo since with more players around...you will gain less and less skill exp. If there is other players attacking your mobs, move on to an area that has no one around.

Coldharbor mobs are not as tough as VR 1-12 yet yield the same skill exp than say a VR 11 one. You only need impulse and can slot the rest of the bar with the other skills you need to be leveled! Fyi, non-destruction abilities will level since it only needs to be on the bar to get exp even if you can't/don't use them.

If you have a good AoE move you prefer over impulse then use that if you want; it's up to you.

Lastly, If you are NOT VR 12....make sure to level all the skills you might need (or don't) well before the cap since you get penalized with severely lowered skill exp and even more so in a group. Trust me, you will thank me for it because you won't have to grind hardcore to increase skills later!

TLDR: to increase under leveled weapon, ultimate, ability, etc skills at VR cap easier, head on over to Coldharbor and kill stuff solo since lvl 46-49 mobs give the same exp as VR 1-12 ones.

p.s. dear zeni, please either revise skill gains or fix whatever bug that makes leveling skills suck at the VR cap.
Edited by iuki on June 1, 2014 11:57PM
  • R0M2K
    R0M2K
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ty
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice tip man.
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the tip. I have been leveling an asst of weapons, armor and skill lines just in case I might need them but am about to vet level and had no idea it would be so hard later on. due to your hint I will make sure each skill is near to max as I can tolerate before becoming vet
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Mephos
    Mephos
    ✭✭✭
    thx, I did hit the cap (v12) yesterday and still ask myself how I should level all the remaining skills. If grinding is the only way zeni did a really bad job, serious.
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mephos wrote: »
    thx, I did hit the cap (v12) yesterday and still ask myself how I should level all the remaining skills. If grinding is the only way zeni did a really bad job, serious.

You can level skills at VR12 just like you leveled skill from 1-VR11. Put all the skills you want to level on your 2nd bar and switch to it before turning in any quest.
  • Levi
    Levi
    ✭✭✭
    Also, if you are still having issues with this, go to Cyrodiil in a campaign that your faction has all or the majority of the territory. Grind those repeatable quests in there. Works pretty well.
    Levi Canonach VR16 Templar Healer - DC NA
    Coda Canonach VR16 Templar Stamina DPS - DC NA
    Faolan D'lanach VR16 Nightblade Healer/DPS - DC NA
    J'Aorka VR16 Nightblade Stamina DPS - AD NA
    Moon'Moon VR16 Dragonknight Tank - DC NA
    Rapha Yeshimone - VR16 Sorcerer Healer/DPS - DC NA
    Trelos Flacara VR1 Dragonknight Magicka DPS - DC NA
  • elausche_ESO
    elausche_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This is currently broken. At VR14, any mob under VR10 will only give 1 skill xp. Mobs at VR10 give about 50 skill xp and VR11+ mobs give 100 skill xp. This is about 1/3 of what you were getting off VR11+ mobs before 1.5 and 250x less than you were getting off VR9 or less mobs.

So once you reach VR14, you have to farm Craglorn to level a skill and it will take much much longer than before 1.5.
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    This needs to be looked at Zenimax, it is taking forever to level up other weapon and skills at VR14.
    mDKs still need a lot of love!