Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nightblade PVP Build Advice

Transorb
Transorb
✭✭
Just curious here how some of you nightblades actually survive more than 30 seconds in PVP combat.

I've tried combinations out the whazzoo, various armor and weapon sets, enchantments, divines -- a multitude of different skill combinations, physical tactics, who i team up with, where I fight -- you NAME it. I have had no avail even when chugging v5 tripots. 1v1, 1v2, 2v2, 2v1, 5v5, 200v1. My character dies at the first site of a crossbow. If you're wearing any armor at all, I'm doomed. Dare I say most people could kill my NB with their computer turned off.

The only damage I seem to do is while I am invisible, which leaves me wondering why shadow cost as much as it does; its the only skill that does anything. Even at that, I can knock somebody of their horse and stun them, crit, dump my whole mana bar on them -- and they get up and kill me in 2 hits. Is my armor rating too low? I've tried combining cyrodil's light set and the set of martial knowledge to give me a bunch of extra spell damage. Using power extraction, my weapon damage is literally at 290 in heavy heavy combat, however since it is all light armor -- I basically die in 2 hits from any melee weapon. I could wear heavy armor or medium, but then my spell damage would take a dive.

Currently I have a full set of ravaging and 2 pieces of cyrodils light for the spell damage - this setup frankly sucks. I still take a ton of damage, and my spells do nothing.

So I am left to wonder how some of you "successful" NB actually succeed in battle, if you're willing to share. I have had a NB since the official launch and I am at a complete loss how to make this character effective at anything other than hiding and watching the battle from a bush at this point.

Yes, I exaggerate. But NB's hail in comparison to the other classes. This is my only character. In many games I very much enjoy the shadowy archetype, hands down my favorite. This is the only class I really wanted to play, and I still do, but just can't figure out a build for nightblade that works.

Does anybody have any advice here?
Edited by Transorb on November 25, 2014 11:51PM
  • Sypher
    Sypher
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you're into the melee caster type.

X5 seducer
    X5 warlock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBjIxlTW_rc

I'm uploading a detailed build video later today.
    Edited by Sypher on November 26, 2014 3:12AM
    DC Dragonknight 'Sypher - AD Nightblade Sypher Ali - AD Sorcerer Sypher Sensei - EP Sorcerer Sypharian - DC Templar Ali Sypher

Youtube: www.youtube.com/SypherPK
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/SypherPK
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Step 1. Shield charge into 30 people
    Step 2. Place a veil
    Step 3. Spam sap essence
    Step 4. Devouring swarm inside veil
    Step 5. Repeat steps 1-4.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • Transorb
    Transorb
    ✭✭
    If you're into the melee caster type.

X5 seducer
    X5 warlock

I'm uploadeding a detailed build video later today.

Very awesome.

What is the other shield spell you're stacking with annulment? I'd also be very curious to see your armor set/enchantment setup.

Definitely keep me posted if you put up a detailed video.
  • DezIsDead
    DezIsDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah you can go with syphers build, but you still won't get his results unless your close to his skill level, or you can go with mojars sap build which is VERY effective when you get the hang of it. Both will work but atm sap builds seem to be very popular.
    Dez Is Dead vr16 AD Sorc
    Rez Dez vr16 DC sorc
    Aimer Cantentius VR16 DC NB AKA Needs Vigor
    Vanreimus Comeback DC DK
    Ihealedurmum VR8 AD temp
    Unonti VR crafting sloot
    Zoschasedawaymyfweinds EP Temp
  • Poxheart
    Poxheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Transorb wrote: »
    Just curious here how some of you nightblades actually survive more than 30 seconds in PVP combat.

I survive by making sure my opponent is dead inside of 3 seconds (1 second if they're a vampire & all my opening moves crit). If not I GTFO & reset the fight. And before anybody says it, I don't use a bow on either of my bars.

But in order to answer your larger question you have to decide what style of NB you want to play. I use a high burst build. It works well for what it does, but it has limitations & there are some targets I just have to let pass by. That's probably the biggest thing you need to learn.

If you want to dive into a large group of enemy, then see Stalker's post.
    If you want to tank medium group of enemy, then see Sypher's post.
    If you want to burst people, then you're not far off with the gear you listed. There are a few different set ups that work.

I dunno what server or faction you're on, but send me a tell and I'll answer questions.
    Unsubbed and no longer playing, but still checking the Alliance War forum for the lulz.

Pox Dragon Knight
    Poxheart Nightblade
    The Murder Hobo Dragon Knight - Blackwater Blade
    Knights of the WhiteWolf
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play a medium armor woodelf nb. stealth is really strong, 2500 stamina and 150 stamina regen. Dodge, spam cloak, etc until you are safe,
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Screw them melee casters and join the ranks of the Nightblade ranged casters! Zemez has some excellent information for you. Good luck!

Of course, Seducer + Warlock as armor, since it's just so good.

And I can't forget to credit Moowie, who is probably the first to make informational videos about dual-resto nb's.
    Edited by Lava_Croft on November 26, 2014 10:15AM
  • Thudunblundur
    Thudunblundur
    ✭✭✭
    Have sent you a pm.
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reasons against range Caster:
    - Lower dmg
    - reflectable
    - Harness Magicka

Melee caster ftw
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soulac wrote: »
    - Lower dmg
    - reflectable
    - Harness Magicka

Melee caster ftw

Until you come across a blazing shield spamming temp.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    - Lower dmg
    - reflectable
    - Harness Magicka

Melee caster ftw

Until you come across a blazing shield spamming temp.

....who's not immune to fear
    EU | PC | AD
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Then u switch to your Resto bar and try to drain his Stamina from range.
    Now Stun and burst him, easy.
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure but its a long long fight, worse than DKs. I'm just pondering sticking funnel back on instead of cripple now that cripples gone all projectile.
  • Brangwen
    Brangwen
    ✭✭
    Transorb wrote: »

What is the other shield spell you're stacking with annulment? .

it's healing ward

What kills/weapons do you use now?
  • Mountain_Dewed
    Mountain_Dewed
    ✭✭✭
    You really need to try different builds out yourself as I found a few that I like. Right now am messing with Resto and bow. I tried resto a while ago and couldn't grasp it but now is kinda cool. I like how the resto can still hit DK's at range and not be reflected, well the heavy attack anywho...

I'm using Hunding's Rage and Warlock. This way I can get stamina way up and magicka will reset(almost) once it gets below 33%. :smiley:
  • ensignedb16_ESO
    NBs are rewarded in several ways if and when going melee. We have class skills that complement this very well. At the same time you can be powerful a range. You shouldn't "choose" one of the two I think. Rather go more melee and a bit range, or the other way around, depending on your build..

Practice ballet with your char, it is just as useful both as a pure stamina or pure magicka build. NB is not the easiest class to master in this game. You don't mention which targets you struggle with, however. Myself I need to take on a sorc very differently than from a DK. Ok "very" is an exaggeration, but you get the idea.. DKs don't kite.

Me however, I'm curious if there are sustainable NB builds somewhere that's not dependent on the resto staff (PVP that is). I've tried ways of circumventing resto, but its just too squishy.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    - Lower dmg
    - reflectable
    - Harness Magicka

Melee caster ftw
    Then again, ranged casters have:
    - Less risk because higher distance from target, which means
    - Easier escaping (if Dark Joke doesn't screw you over)
    - Reflect? Quick Siphon or Siphon Spirit and heavy attacks
    - Harness Magicka is hardly a factor these days.
    - You have TWO Resoration staffs. Not one, but TWO. How can that not be better?

In the end it really comes down to if you wanna play melee or ranged and in my case it matters that I'd rather not end up a clone of all the other melee casters with basically exactly the same setup. The latter is naturally completely unimportant to anyone but myself.

Either way, Nightblades are just cool!
    I have Immovable up nearly 100%, which makes me nearly immune to (among other things) Fear. You should try it! :wink:
    Edited by Lava_Croft on November 26, 2014 1:33PM
  • Xeniph
    Xeniph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bit of advise from a long time NB.

Unless you run with a dedicated healer, or are quite skilled at ganking, drop Vampire, if you have it.
    (I swear update 5 seemed to do something to their mitigation, atleast it did to me)

Also please make sure you are running 400-500 impenetrable.

And last but not least, while spell damage is great and all. You may consider using reduce stamina cost enchants on your jewelry. Blocking/CC break can be very stamina demanding even in medium armor, let alone Light.

Roll dodge is really the key to playing a good melee NB. The more you can do it, the better.
    Here since Beta.

Characters: All of them, both Stamina and Magicka.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    I have Immovable up nearly 100%, which makes me nearly immune to (among other things) Fear. You should try it! :wink:

Something's got to give

I can't run both defensive posture AND immovable with 100% uptime while blocking all the time and keeping some stamina for a (rare for my sorc admittedly) dodge roll.

Also, it's just easier for you sitting on the back lines. I don't think I've seen you recently with any less than 5 people in front of you, or randomly amidst 6-7 enemy players. In fact where you position yourself, you probably don't even need immovable in the first place.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're going to gank, then range works better if you don't want resto on your bars.

I'm currently running bow on my main bar with the off-bar dedicated to taking down DKs up close through either dual-wield or 2-handed. It leaves no room to sustain during a fight, but if you don't want resto and to gank then looking for sustain is the wrong way to go about things.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Build and equipment far less important than understanding the class and playing it correctly.

You can be effective with ambush/concealed/impale combo....mark target/snipe/siphon strikes combo...ultimate combo with sap essense/bats/veil, etc.

My favorite is sword/board. Max spell damage, max stamina regen, max magicka, max health, medium armor. Single target ambush/concealed/impale with AoE of sap essence with bats.Very easy to do with V14 gear, all yellow glyphs...torugs, magnus, with dominion rings that have +14 spell damage.
    Edited by reften on November 27, 2014 3:39AM
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, it's just easier for you sitting on the back lines. I don't think I've seen you recently with any less than 5 people in front of you, or randomly amidst 6-7 enemy players. In fact where you position yourself, you probably don't even need immovable in the first place.
    I'm always at the back in larger groups, since my job is not to be at the front. However, anything that is small scale or 1v1 begs for Immovable, since I lack the stamina to constantly break free.

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always at the back in larger groups, since my job is not to be at the front. However, anything that is small scale or 1v1 begs for Immovable, since I lack the stamina to constantly break free.

I'm not dissing your role, I'm just saying that when you're in the back lines stamina management is less of an issue.

It looks like I'll have to work on a build that incorporates Immovable, if only to try it out. I died 3 times yesterday by being knocked down while holding block with more than 50% stamina. That fecking bug they introduced with 1.5 that your block randomly drops while you're holding RMB down, is seriously ruining my fun atm. In fact I'm about to push that thread up soon.

I'll have to invest much more heavily into stamina regen or stam cost reduction to run immovable, defensive posture and block and reduce my spell dmg and armor in return. Not looking forward to it one bit. Especiallly not since I have to do it to counter a bug :angry:
    EU | PC | AD
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't have everything! :neutral_face:
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can't have everything! :neutral_face:

Nope you can't and that's alright.

I had to sacrifice my destro staff with its light attack weaving and crushing shock instant damage for the sustain and survivability given by s&b and defensive posture. That's a fair trade which I was happy to make at the time and still am to be honest

Just not happy at this block bug, where I'm sitting at a near full stamina pool and with RMB pressed down, only for someone to shield charge me down. That makes me absolutely mad every single time it happens.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Suntzu1414
    Step 1. Shield charge into 30 people
    Step 2. Place a veil
    Step 3. Spam sap essence
    Step 4. Devouring swarm inside veil
    Step 5. Repeat steps 1-4.

man has kills....

Kill Well
    ST
    DC - NB VR15 - Khajit - DW / S+B / Bow
    DC - NB VR 15 - Wood Elf - S+B / Resto
    DC - TP VR 15 - Brenton - Resto / Dual Wield
    DC - SC VR 12 - High Elf - Desto / Dual Wield
    EP - TP VR 5 - Nord - 2hd / 2hd
    EP - DK 20 - Imperial - S+B / Desto / Bow
  • Shuichi
    Shuichi
    ✭✭✭
    Screw them melee casters and join the ranks of the Nightblade ranged casters! Zemez has some excellent information for you. Good luck!

And I can't forget to credit Moowie, who is probably the first to make informational videos about dual-resto nb's.

RIP Moowi. . . she showed me dual resto nb in closed beta, which was all I wanted to play at launch. <3
    Hand of Sithis - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Valnas
    Valnas
    ✭✭✭✭
    i'm gonna stay away from skill suggestions and just reiterate what makes every pvp build work (i have been playing magicka destro/restro vamp of late, use to be tankier 1hs vamp and a non vamp in med once upon a time)

Make an investment in stamina. Either try high recovery w/ a lot of rolling + situational blocking, or reduction + full time blocking. NB's don't have a flash heal or non-veil mitigation benefits. You need something to deal with spike damage cause it's gonna happen and if you show you can't deal, it's not gonna stop. Utilize your sta bar efficiently (coherent strategy for use and how to regen).

Fluph Head EP sorc dank magus
    valnäs EP nb
    opHotterslol AD dk
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shuichi wrote: »

RIP Moowi. . . she showed me dual resto nb in closed beta, which was all I wanted to play at launch. <3
    RIP? Did something happen to her?
  • Shuichi
    Shuichi
    ✭✭✭
    RIP? Did something happen to her?

She quit ESO for Archeage! Let me clarify, RIP Moowi, the NB Healer.
    Shuichi wrote: »
    Edited by Shuichi on December 8, 2014 5:00PM
    Hand of Sithis - Daggerfall Covenant