The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Are gamepads/macros considered bad form?

GrimMauKin
GrimMauKin
✭✭✭✭
Rather unexpectedly I was given a Logitec G13 gamepad as a birthday present. It feels rather odd compared to my nice mechanical keyboard and mouse that I'm used to play TESO on, so I'm not sure that I'll be using it to play. However, I can see huge potential for macros and multi-key presses assigned to single keys (such as assigning a weapon swap + skill + weapon swap to effectively access all 12 skills from single key presses).

Some gaming keyboards have similar functionality; are macros/multi-key assignments considered bad form/cheating or does anything go?
I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @GrimMauKin‌,

We recommend reviewing the Terms of Service in relation to this inquiry.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Gorthax
    Gorthax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_GaryA wrote: »
    Hey there @GrimMauKin‌,

We recommend reviewing the Terms of Service in relation to this inquiry.

tell that to the people using macros to animation cancel all day long.....that are still playing. I say go for it @GrimMauKin‌ people are using macros every day to animation cancel and get an edge up in pvp and trials. Do whatever you want.

But read the ToS before you do as macros are considered cheating. Yet, here we are, people are STILL doing so in the game :D
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is wall of text, now find it.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The TOS needs to define the difference between a hardware macro and third party software macros better.
    My keyboards can memorize keystrokes without external software.

Most good game software has caps on fire rates and the miniumum time allowed between keypress, etc.

Edited by TequilaFire on November 26, 2014 7:01PM
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I have the Razer Orbweaver but I don't use it for macros or anything.

It has all the keys i need on it, has my abilities and almost all of my shortcut keys to open the map, bag, skills, etc. I really only use my keyboard for typing.

Using it for stuff like I am is fine, but if you keybind macros onto them then that could be against the rules. My Razer Black widow pro even has 5 macro buttons but I don't use them.
    ~Thallen~
  • GrimMauKin
    GrimMauKin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm quite happy playing with my mouse and keyboard, but just wondered.
    I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have a Black Widow and don't find much advantage using a macro myself.
    But with all the lag and abilities firing seconds later who can tell if some one is using a macro. :D
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair enough :P. Section 9 is the section specific to the context of the question.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • BCBasher
    BCBasher
    ✭✭✭
    I use macros for useful or funny emotes, is /followme
    or/bucketsplash
    Gonna get me banned Gary?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To answer the actual question, using gamepads is not considered bad form, but using macros is considered lazy.

This is seperate to whether they are allowed or not, which the TOS that Zos_GaryA referred you to will clarify.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on November 26, 2014 9:05PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Gorthax
    Gorthax
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair enough :P. Section 9 is the section specific to the context of the question.

nicely done ^_^
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorthax wrote: »

nicely done ^_^

Should have been done to start. Naughty naughty :p
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You agree not to use any hardware or software or any other method of support that is not authorized by ZeniMax or that may in any way influence or advantage Your playing abilities, or influence or advantage Your use of the Services. Third party tools, the use of ‘bots’, “speed hacks”, “deep-link”, “page-scrape”, “robot”, “spider”, algorithm or other programs that copy or monitor any part of the Services (including, but not limited to, the Game(s) and/or forums), software that transmits, manipulates, or distributes (including, but are limited to, “mirroring”) the data stream or any aspect of the Services to another computer, server websites or other publication or distribution media, or software that permits You to use Services without human input are examples of methods not authorized by ZeniMax.

So gamepads and programmable mice are allowed so long as they rely on human input?

Aka: don't program a macro and then go afk leaving it farming for you and things should be fine.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GaryA‌ it is funny that you have mentioned this parte of the TOS because i clearly remember during beta a lot of answer by the zos team encouraging players to use software as xpadder to use the gamepad in game.
    Now tecnically even xpadder allow the use of macros and i admit that i use x padder due to my console attitude ( i dont use macros i've learned what macros are in this forum )
    Btw i use a pseudo macro for swap between the CH, skills, map ,group, guild pages even this considered cheating?
    I have no problem to link at the zos CS my set-up (i have nothing to hide)
    but is strange that first you are encouraging the use and then you punish people who use it.
    Hope you will clear my position, thank you
    Signature

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a growing group of us older players, to whom these keyboards are saviours. Just check another recent thread here about G13 keyboard how it helped one player suffering from arthritis to stay in the game. I am also using simple macros to reduce repetitive clicks, which started to escalate to constant pain in fingers. These keyboards are not used for cheating but compensating the years that have piled up.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, but what does Not Authorized mean as far as ZOS are concerned?
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You agree not to use any hardware or software or any other method of support that is not authorized by ZeniMax or that may in any way influence or advantage Your playing abilities, or influence or advantage Your use of the Services. Third party tools, the use of ‘bots’, “speed hacks”, “deep-link”, “page-scrape”, “robot”, “spider”, algorithm or other programs that copy or monitor any part of the Services (including, but not limited to, the Game(s) and/or forums), software that transmits, manipulates, or distributes (including, but are limited to, “mirroring”) the data stream or any aspect of the Services to another computer, server websites or other publication or distribution media, or software that permits You to use Services without human input are examples of methods not authorized by ZeniMax.

Does that mean I shouldn't use my dwemer spider anymore? :cry:
    Wololo.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use or have any macro capabilities, but it would be nice if the ToS was a bit more clear.

A "one key = one action" policy would be clearer.
  • rwelshmub17_ESO
    rwelshmub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with Helediron,

The razor orbweaver has been a lifesaver for me as well. Being a little older its great. I dont have any macros programmed but have keys programmed for roll/dodge etc.
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the simple answer:

You are allowed to perform 1 action per input. This means that any input, a mouse button click, a keyboard key hit, moving the scroll wheel, is allowed to do 1 thing and 1 thing only.

If you hit a key and it does more than one thing- say that you hit the "a" key and you roll dodge and also weapon switch- this is bannable.

If you click any button on your mouse, you are allowed to do 1 action. If you click a mouse button and you do more than 1 action- such as weapon swap and use an ability- this is bannable.

It's really not hard to understand people.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Belkin N52te. I will use this thing until the day it dies, and then I'm replacing it with a Razer Tartarus or something of a similar nature. I actually used to mock these things until a friend gave me one years ago for my birthday. Now I can't imagine life without it.

EDIT* Also, don't freaking use Macros man, that's poor form. Play the game or don't play the game, but don't make a software command play it for you, lazy ass =P
    Edited by Khivas_Carrick on November 27, 2014 7:11AM
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Deheart
    Deheart
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion based on seeing various people being banned on various online games --- If they make money off you and not enough people complain about you and you aren't actually bottling, macros are ok. But if you get tagged and/or you get enough complainers you probably will be banned for violating the TOS, no matter if you violated it or not. Using any macros is chancy on any game.

The TOS just covers their ass if they see you as a problem.
    As a casual player I was satisfied that at one point I had a char max level and near max crafting with almost all motifs and I pretty much lost interest. Then ESO discovered DLC's and now my main is just a wanabe and I am happily pulled back into the game.
  • GrimMauKin
    GrimMauKin
    ✭✭✭✭
    So as I understand it, assigning single key presses to single keys is fair play, but macros are supposedly not?
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TOS is not really specific on the use of macros. Basically I think it tries to state that bots and some 3rd party software are now allowed.

Maybe press one button and win fight would be against it too. However I think you can macro the use of like 'easy quick slots' and use together into one button. Also I think many people are also using something like outfitter and macro to quickly change.

Also IMO something like switch, skill, switch is not too much. There is discussion about that on other thread though. It is after all something that you can do anyway but maybe save tenths of a second by macroing it. Given the lagginess of the game half of the time that macro would fail to execute.

Controllers and pads use all you like I don't see issue there. Macros maybe keep it simple. Zos will not give any clear answer here as if they decide something is not allowed they cannot be referred to their statement and will only refer to ToS which is very vague.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see what the controls for consoles are going to be. With less button options, some things will have to be altered.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets think about keyboard/mouse software this way:

Is it 3rd party software?- Yes!
    Does it give you advantage against other players?- Yes!
    Are they authorized by ZeniMax to use?- NO!

By TOS macros aren't allowed and shouldn't be. It would promote players who uses certain manufacturer production but leaves in disadvantage players whose keyboard/mouse doesn't have macro software.

Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's sad that a ZOS representative doesn't dare to say "Macros are illegal", instead, he points you to a complex text that can be interpreted in many ways an which allows ZOS to more or less define as they wish what is and isn't allowed.

If you look at the text:
    You agree not to use any hardware or software or any other method of support that is not authorized by ZeniMax
    <= where is the list of what is and isn't authorized?
    that may in any way influence or advantage Your playing abilities
    <= Are macros advantaging us? I tried using them, worked perfectly on mammoths and failed horribly in trials because of animation lag, I don't call that an advantage. In the same way, you can consider that addons are against the rules since they do influence and advantage our playing abilities.
    Third party tools, the use of ‘bots’, “speed hacks”, “deep-link”, “page-scrape”, “robot”, “spider”, algorithm or other programs that copy or monitor any part of the Services (including, but not limited to, the Game(s) and/or forums), software that transmits, manipulates, or distributes (including, but are limited to, “mirroring”) the data stream or any aspect of the Services to another computer, server websites or other publication or distribution media, or software that permits You to use Services without human input are examples of methods not authorized by ZeniMax.

This pretty much means that any launcher (like the ones that allow you to dezoom more, remove the FOG, center camera) are against terms of service. It also means that if a developer creates a program that will explore the files generated by an addon to automatically submit that information to a database (character profile, sales information, map markers, dungeon loot) isn't respecting the TOS.

In game customer support has the same way of dealing with these questions, instead of answering "it is or isn't legal to do this or that", they point you to the TOS which are clearly not being respected by ZOS.

This is just like going to a cop and asking if it's illegal to punch someone in the face and the cop telling you " Go check the lawbooks dude".
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lettigall wrote: »
    Lets think about keyboard/mouse software this way:

Is it 3rd party software?- Yes!
    Does it give you advantage against other players?- Yes!
    Are they authorized by ZeniMax to use?- NO!

One buys gaming mouse with extra buttons:

Does it have 3rd party software? - Yes! (to map buttons)
    Does it give you advantage against other players? - Yes! (more buttons, easy access)
    Are they authorized by ZeniMax to use? - who knows!

Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syntse wrote: »
    One buys gaming mouse with extra buttons:

Does it have 3rd party software? - Yes! (to map buttons)
    Does it give you advantage against other players? - Yes! (more buttons, easy access)
    Are they authorized by ZeniMax to use? - who knows!

Fuzz is about software you install with your hardware not built in. And how on earth you get advantage by using extra keys on mouse?

Does it make commands faster? Or does it allows to do extra actions by pressing 1 button? If i have weapon swap on mouse button 4, how does it give me advantage agains player who have default settings or have placed swap button on other key?

Usually games who allow macros promote some company, like Razor, or have built in macro system. But in ZOS there aren't build in macro and they haven't announced that any of companies who make gaming gadgets are they partners.

I have mouse and I can install macro program for it, and yes I tested it! So anyone who tells that those programs don't give you advantage against other players are dirty liars.

In 1 sec it's possible to attack, swap weapon, cast spell from 2nd weapon bar, switch weapon back and attack again. Only lags prevent macro users to dominate this game.
    Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That section of the ToS targets attempts to read and write to the game other than through a human operated controller. Whether that means that one physical action on the controller should correspond to one command to the game is, literally, doubtful. If you're very literal minded and ignore context then yes, that too would be a breach.
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!