The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does Leveling in higher level zones net you more exp?

a_good_kidub17_ESO
Say I'm level 10, and move on to Deshan from Stonefalls, and start completing quests there. Will I get more experience, and level faster doing this? Or would I just be adding more challenge, and no extra experience? Does this apply to Vetran Zones too?

Best Answer

• Laz
    Laz
    ✭✭✭
    Good question. From my experience it's both but the XP isn't as great as it could/can/will be if you are the right level.
    Been around watchin'. Time to start talkin'. - Twitch: twitch.tv/lazisonline
    Prior host of TESO Elite game-play twitch streams
    Answer ✓
  • a_good_kidub17_ESO
    So I would get more exp, and level faster doing quests that are my level, compared to doing higher level quests with more challenge. Thankyou Laz!
  • wafcatb14_ESO
    wafcatb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to say , after they nerfed all the quests exp at vet ranks . it may be faster to just grind trash mobs your lvl.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edit, nvermind
    Edited by AlexDougherty on November 21, 2014 1:46PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No extra XP's from being underleveled, at least not explicitly.

You might get more XP's from fighting harder mobs (though you'll have to work harder too, so time-wise, not always to your benefit), but you won't get more XP's than you would fighting them later.

As long as the mobs/quests are withing 5 levels of your character, you'll get XP's and drops. Anything more than 5 levels below you, may as well skip entirely, unless you're going for your armor repair achievement or testing skill combos.

Always best to do the Yellow's first, Green's next, and Grey's if your quest log is full, or close to it. (Grey's will be more than 5 levels below).

You'll always get quest completion rewards and XP's, but it will be scaled to the quest level. Save a starter zone quest until you're VR10 and you're still only gonna get a Level 1 reward from it.

Regarding VR levels, if you look a couple patch notes back, you get diminishing returns on mobs lower than you are, but you still get something.

Quest wise, prior to 1.5, you actually got more VP's being higher level and turning in the same quest as someone that was lower VR turning in the same quest.

Presumably this was to help offset the increase in VP's required for the higher level requirement.

Since VP's are not longer a factor and all ranks take the same amount to level (a cool million), the rank up quest XP's are probably no longer a factor.

Just run the quests in the zones as you go, you'll end up being overleveled as it is if you complete all the content. No reason to try to gain it faster.

Good luck!
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS