Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I attempted an ESO Halloween pumpkin. It failed.

Alarra
Alarra
✭✭✭
I tried carving a pumpkin with the ESO logo for Halloween. It was going to be real simple: no detail on the scales, just the general shape with a couple thin lines around the dragon/lion/eagle heads so that you could tell what they were. It started out looking pretty good. Unfortunately, I didn't plan it well enough, and the thin lines were TOO thin and few. About 40 minutes into it, I was a good 3/4 of the way done when suddenly the middle popped out, taking all the thin lines with it....

Thought I'd give you guys a good laugh, anyway. xD It just looks so ridiculous now sitting on my table with a big round hole in it.

78034888-48C0-40AC-88D9-79265BAD581F_zpsmuqssds3.jpg
Edited by Alarra on October 31, 2014 8:05AM
UESP - Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995.
UESP forum/blog/Discord admin, wiki patroller, NA/PC Guild Advisor
  • ZOS_JasonLeavey
    ZOS_JasonLeavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all about the effort, @Alarra! That is not an easy design to carve into a pumpkin, but you did a great job on the outline. :D
    Jason Leavey
    Community Coordinator - The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alarra wrote: »
    I tried carving a pumpkin with the ESO logo for Halloween. It was going to be real simple: no detail on the scales, just the general shape with a couple thin lines around the dragon/lion/eagle heads so that you could tell what they were. It started out looking pretty good. Unfortunately, I didn't plan it well enough, and the thin lines were TOO thin and few. About 40 minutes into it, I was a good 3/4 of the way done when suddenly the middle popped out, taking all the thin lines with it....

Thought I'd give you guys a good laugh, anyway. xD It just looks so ridiculous now sitting on my table with a big round hole in it.

78034888-48C0-40AC-88D9-79265BAD581F_zpsmuqssds3.jpg

If you are going to try something like that, the key is not to cut all the way though, you need to do it like the ones that look like photographs, ie you carve from the inside and leave differing thicknesses, so the light comes through and gives the impression of the image.

And no I wouldn't be brave enough to try it myself, mainly because I have an idea how hard it is, and how useless I am.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a nice guide: http://cedarcreekcenter.com/6-steps-to-carving-the-perfect-pumpkin/

It pretty much comes down to having the right tools at your disposal and not carving through the walls.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Alarra
    Alarra
    ✭✭✭
    If you are going to try something like that, the key is not to cut all the way though, you need to do it like the ones that look like photographs, ie you carve from the inside and leave differing thicknesses, so the light comes through and gives the impression of the image.

And no I wouldn't be brave enough to try it myself, mainly because I have an idea how hard it is, and how useless I am.

Yeah, that's probably what I would have done if I'd had more time. I just thought, "Oh, doing it this way will be quick and easy", but It just didn't work out.

I'm not usually this bad at pumpkins, anyway. Here's one I did about two years ago - I made the design myself.

000_0008cropped_zpse0b41234.jpg
    Edited by Alarra on November 1, 2014 1:08AM
    UESP - Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995.
    UESP forum/blog/Discord admin, wiki patroller, NA/PC Guild Advisor
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alarra wrote: »

Yeah, that's probably what I would have done if I'd had more time. I just thought, "Oh, doing it this way will be quick and easy", but It just didn't work out.

I'm not usually this bad at pumpkins, anyway. Here's one I did about two years ago - I made the design myself.

000_0008cropped_zpse0b41234.jpg

Nice, I like it
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • matbarliabriub17_ESO
    matbarliabriub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I might suggest on the logo pumpkin to leave some line edges in so you can do the inner part of the logo, kinda like a cookie cutter does so it can hold both pieces in place, ooor you could just etch it into the flesh and leave the skin where its not, you should be able to get it pretty thin, also, you could get glow in the dark paint to put into the flesh where you carved it -- just some ideas for next year