The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tank Sets - Patch 1.5

akriden
akriden
✭✭✭
Hello,

as NB I use currently a mix of the sets white plank and Yokeda along with the weapon / rings set from the trials for tanking. Primarily I play DD. Tank is my second specc, i really like to play.

I must honestly confess, with so many options I've almost lost a little track of which set combinations are useful. Especially now with the new sets.

What set combinations do you use at the moment? Do you already use parts of the new sets?

Oh and one more question: any equipment suggestions for the fight against manticora in sanctum?

:)
Edited by akriden on November 18, 2014 12:19PM
  • Iduyenn
    Iduyenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use Arena and Hist Bark, because i dont have acess to the other sets.
    As a templar i like it to have all stats maxed out, so i can spam my shield and have enough stamina to block and use heavy armor skill.

But somehow hist bark is not very nice.
    I am thinking about stacking more life, so my shield gets bigger. I am flirting with ebony armor, but it isnt realy a viable option... right?

Would be great to hear more from expirienced templar tanks.
  • mousekime111rwb17_ESO
    As a nightblade you really need to cap out healing received - have swallow soul on your bar as well. Due to the fact that you lack a serious 'oh crap' button to get heal back and potions have a 30 second CD (although I've found that that's plenty enough 'oh crap' button presses for me) you may want to consider whitestrakes or the immortal yokeda set. Oh and if you get lucky enough to get a pauldron of bloodspawn grind the hell out of spindle for the helmet - the ultimate generation is a must! The bastion of the undaunted is also an especially good choice (more control over the shield than whitestrake's and a lower cooldown) Oh and don't diss histbark - 18% DR flat is probably the best 5 piece item bonus you can get.
  • Iduyenn
    Iduyenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well... There are voices; Food soldier vs. hist bark.
    The Argumentation is the following: Dodge is nice, but it is not a flat dmg reduce on wich you can be sure, because you have the chance to be hit anyway.
    With the foodsoldier you get an increase on blocking amount directly and permanent.

I was even thinking about the twice born star set.

On my list are also: Orgums Scales, Unassailable, Vampires Kiss

The Problem is, there are different playstyles. I just saw two Tanks with 4k life in Grathwood.
    Since i am an all-stat-rainbow tank i was thinking about doing something similar, because my sunshield stacks with my life. But what is about utility?
    That is why you should always post your concept of tanking behind your gear.

Edit: Concerning; Since someone explained to me, that all your armor raiting doesnt have any impact on your dmg blocked.
    Edited by Iduyenn on November 18, 2014 5:16PM
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience:

I use a different combo depending on the dungeon.

Ebon 5 piece + footman 5 piece is my go-to tanking set. With those pieces on a dk you literally get 100% damage mitiagon while blocking and 115% damage mitigation against projectiles. it's nuts.

Add that the increased healing and a free 100 hp to your entire team and its oh so sweet.

If you don't have access to the footman (purchase or DSA) then the unassailable is a good set and one that I used before the footman along with the Ebon set.

Now I know a lot of people aren't even aware of what the Ebon set is and its not exactly easy to get 5 pieces, but ebon + footman + dk = uber tank.

The new undaunted tank gear (bastion) may very well replace my Ebon set though. That damage shield is super sexy.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Iduyenn
    Iduyenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Undaunted:
    Well, my taughts where, that my goal is to never drop below 60% life. And if i do, my heal burst me up instantaniously. Couldn`t that be an issue?
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no thats not the one I am talking about. The one I am talking about is the one that gives you a 1200 point damage shield for 10 seconds every 15 seconds when you taunt a mob below 60% health.

And honestly if your goal is to never drop more than 60% health then you are probably not providing the amount of DPS you could to help the group.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Iduyenn
    Iduyenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    (2pc): 131 Max Health
    (3pc): 175 Armor
    (4pc): 175 Spell Resistance
    (5pc): When you taunt an enemy when below 60% Health, you gain an 1250 Damage shield for 15s, 10s cooldown

Ok i get it.

But i would very much like to see you in a raid set your focus on doing damage as a Tank. My guys expect from me to make the healers life as easy as possible and provide some buffs for the group. Blocking every attack. Because the less dmg i get, the less healer it takes (As a templar i can provide healing aswell).
    But... lets not fight upon the true role of a Tank :)

Unassasailable
    • (2 items) Adds Max Health
    • (3 items) Adds 4% Healing Taken
    • (4 items) Adds 4% Healing Taken
    • (5 items) Unassailable: While blocking, increase armor and spell resist by [x]
    Ebon Armory
    • (2 items) Adds 111 Max Health
    • (3 items) Adds 111 Max Health
    • (4 items) Adds 4% Healing Taken
    • (5 items) Increase Max health of up to 12 group members by 85

Edit; What do you guys wear for trinkets?
    Edited by Iduyenn on November 18, 2014 6:41PM
  • jeeves3krwb17_ESO
    jeeves3krwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    no thats not the one I am talking about. The one I am talking about is the one that gives you a 1200 point damage shield for 10 seconds every 15 seconds when you taunt a mob below 60% health.

And honestly if your goal is to never drop more than 60% health then you are probably not providing the amount of DPS you could to help the group.

The undaunted set you are on about is useless in pve from my experience. Its far to situational.

It only fires when the tank is below 60%hp and only when you taunt. As you cant overtaunt in this game you are restricted to using it once every 8-13 seconds. If you were to taunt out of sequence to proc the shield when below 60%hp you risk losing aggro which can lead to wipes.

So basically it only adds benefit if you are below 60%hp at the same time you would normally be taunting. If you spend lots of time below 60%hp then your healers need a strong talking to....

my tank set for vet dsa is: 5 hist bark, 5 warlock, 2 malubeths scourage and for SO 5 histbark, 5 footmans and 2 malubeths scourage.

Thats on both my templar and dk.
    Edited by jeeves3krwb17_ESO on November 18, 2014 9:52PM
    Drake Silvermane - Dunmer Templar - Flawless - Former Emperor

WTB - ping below 350.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your typo is making you seem way less correct than you actually are, because you said you can't* overtaunt when you obviously meant can*

That's why I said I was debating it, have to try it out and see for myself, but I am really happy with the ebon+footman its supersweet.
  • jeeves3krwb17_ESO
    jeeves3krwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I wrote what I meant :)

I suppose I should of said; you can't afford to over taunt in this game
    (which I paraphrased by simply saying cant, as I assumed everyone knows you can, but shouldn't, and a good tank never does)

I write how I speak unfortunately and being British it does quite confuse some people.

I personally think the ebon set is a poor set for tanking (I own it and have tested it) compared to hist bark, although can argubly see use for an off tank in SO if you can easily handle the aspect.
    Edited by jeeves3krwb17_ESO on November 19, 2014 1:10AM

WTB - ping below 350.
  • Iduyenn
    Iduyenn
    ✭✭✭✭

my tank set for vet dsa is: 5 hist bark, 5 warlock, 2 malubeths scourage and for SO 5 histbark, 5 footmans and 2 malubeths scourage.

Thats on both my templar and dk.

So you dont go for the undaunted passives? I think i like the Idea of the magicka sustain, because you can take a lot of pressure away with you shield. So i guess you have a high amount of life too?
  • jeeves3krwb17_ESO
    jeeves3krwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    When in warlock and I am at 5 heavy, 2 light and so do benefit from undaunted passive, althought I dont think the undaunted passive even factors in to my decision.

on my templar I keep up channel focus (its broken and ticks for 10mana every 0.5sec according to CLS) and restoring aura. With the hidden +15% stamina regen for being a werewolf I end up with 180mana, 105hp and 143 stamina regen while maintaining 3200hp 2100mana and 1900stamina with the 5 piece warlock magick flood to boost.

With this build I keep up deep slash, evasion, restoring aura (80% stamina and hp regen for party) and channeled focus up all fight. Combined with hist bark I am at 33% dodge while blocking, 2800+ armour and resists, +15% incoming heals, the boss does -15% dmg and I can spam breath of life like a healer. That is all on top of all the templar passives.

I use the same gear on my dk and can spam magicka based abilities all day long and dont ever run out of stam for blocking or deep slash .
    Edited by jeeves3krwb17_ESO on November 19, 2014 12:45AM

WTB - ping below 350.
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Footmen is a must for all tanks, beyond that there are no substantially strong tanking sets. Hist Bark is OK, but in cases of bad luck you are still going to get hit by strings of hits and Hist Bark will do nothing for you. Healing received is nice overall, as is Immortal Warrior, but nothing game breaking. I would argue that Footmen/Immortal Warrior is probably your best bet, but Hist Bark is very solid too.

Obviously this leaves you with room for a 2pc set, if you choose Immortal Warrior this will have to be weapon/shield, and I feel the extra health from Whitestrake's Retribution is your best choice. If you choose Hist Bark as your second set, you have the option of Undaunted Sets as well. As above posters have said, the Blood Spawn set is very solid for the extra ultimate generation. The Healing Beam set (can't remember the name) is pretty solid as well because the proc rate is fairly high, but again the set is unreliable for survival purposes. Finally, the Lich Crystal set is very solid for AoE environments and to add a little bit of DPS.

The last option is to use 5/5 Footmen, 5/5 Hist Bark (4 armor, shield) with an Undaunted Head or Shoulders and the Master's Sword. An alternative version of this build is to use 5/5 Footmen, 5/5 Hist Bark (3 armor, sword, shield) and 2 different Undaunted set pieces. Both of these options give you dual health bonuses, but the Master's Sword version gives you a 200 heal on your puncture as well while the Undaunted sets version gives you the option to switch sets in and out.
    Alacrity Founder | Forum Emperor
    World First Veteran Dragonstar Arena

Tripwyr Manawrath - AD NA Sorcerer, Former Emperor of Haderus; Former Emperor of Hopesfire, First Cycle
    Tripwyr Flamewrath - AD NA Dragon Knight, Former Emperor of Thornblade, First Cycle
    Imperial Tripwyr - AD NA Templar, Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade
    Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.
  • G0ku
    G0ku
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sanctum: 5 Footman, 5 HistBark, 2 Night´s Silence

AA/Hel Ra/Arena Hardmode: 5 Seducer (heavy), 5 Warlock, 2 Night´s Silence

all other: 5 Seducer (4 light, Chest Heavy), 5 Warlock

On both, Templar and DK. It was getting boring to just be the blockbot. I am still testing how far you can go without using the 5 piece bonus of heavy armor. Soon will try Arena light armor tanking.
    Especially on the DK with the Armor Buff it seems easy doable if you enchant one warlock ring with 630 armor.

In AA you should look out, after a Hist Bark proc you will easily lose the aggro of one or more axes. If you really just need to stand there to absorb damage and hold aggro I´d say Hist Bark and Footman Combo do the job quite well.
    - First AD EU Group to finish DSA VET -
    AD Altmer V16 Templar Alliance Rank 30 - EU - DSA Conqueror (pre-nerf) flawless vMSA
    AD Argonian V16 Dragonknight Alliance Rank 15
    AD Bosmer V16 Nightblade Alliance Rank 16
    AD Kahjiit V16 Sorcerer Alliance Rank 10
    AD Dunmer V16 Dragonknight Alliance Rank 9
    AD Altmer V16 Templar Alliance Rank 10 - flawless vMSA
    DC Altmer V16 Sorcerer Alliance Rank 9 - flawless vMSA
    AD Breton V16 Templar Alliance Rank 10
    AD Altmer V16 Sorceress Alliance Rank 21
    AD Kahjiit Warden
    AD Altmer Nightblade
  • Spark
    Spark
    ✭✭✭
    I also like tanking Hel Ra and AA with 5 warlock (So far have only tried 2 light, tempted to try out 5 light). With all the buffs from a good raid I can do 500-600 dps on the first 2 AA bosses as the tank, and can do an useful amount of off-heals on the Mage execute phase. If I can do that and still not die or lose aggro, I see no reason to just stand there and block. So that's why I don't do 7 heavy in nm AA and Hel Ra.
  • aco5712
    aco5712
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    footman + hist is nice
    footman + whitestrake which saves my ass alot aswell

NB tank here
    Banned for Naming and Shaming exploiters. Great ideology ZOS.
    #FreeLeo

Main: Vir Cor | Dragonknight
    Alt: Leo Cor | Nightblade
    Alt: Leonidas Cor | Templar

Guild: K-Hole
    Youtube: CorESO
    DK PvP Tank/DPS Hybrid Build (2.1+): Cor Leonis
  • Iduyenn
    Iduyenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awsome ideas (not only ideas, as it seems, but working tank concepts).

And can someone confirm, that the dodge-cap is so low, that it doesnt make sense to use Evasion AND the Hist bark? Because i could use Blinding light then...
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have this:

5 HistBark Heavy
    2 undaunted the one that spawns the dwemer ball (1 light 1 medium )
    5 Warlock with rings enchanted with reduce cost of block and neck with +630 armor
    1h (defending trait) + shield with (nirn trait) (the skill that has reduce block cost is a mist have)
    Destro with second bar with undaunted skill line skills

This works great for multiple enemies and bosses as y have a mix of light and heavy.

Now u can replace 5 HistBark with Footman because of the medium armor skill that gives u dodge rate but i prefer always having the dodge and use another skill

Because the stats don't show how much block migtation u have i dont know if i am getting soft caped on this or not in order to chose footman or not
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sword and Board NB
    4 Torugs
    5 magnus
    Medium Armor
    Two +spell dam 14 dominion rings get me +magicka set
    Necklace is whatever with 1550 fire resist.
    5 Impen min. // whatever for other 3
    Atronach Mundos Stone

REsto staff on Bar two for utility and fast healing // Rapid manu., caltrops, immovable, purge, healing springs.

Glyphs get me, Max health, max magicka.max spell damage, high weapon damage.

Also have max stamina regen, and about 100 magicka regen.

Stage 4 vamp with sap essense = Lots of bat swarms / Good AoE

Single target = Combo of ambush, concealed weapon, impale

My secret is out.
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • G0ku
    G0ku
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvE Tank with 5 Impen? Or is this your pvp build?
    Edited by G0ku on November 19, 2014 8:56PM
    - First AD EU Group to finish DSA VET -
    AD Altmer V16 Templar Alliance Rank 30 - EU - DSA Conqueror (pre-nerf) flawless vMSA
    AD Argonian V16 Dragonknight Alliance Rank 15
    AD Bosmer V16 Nightblade Alliance Rank 16
    AD Kahjiit V16 Sorcerer Alliance Rank 10
    AD Dunmer V16 Dragonknight Alliance Rank 9
    AD Altmer V16 Templar Alliance Rank 10 - flawless vMSA
    DC Altmer V16 Sorcerer Alliance Rank 9 - flawless vMSA
    AD Breton V16 Templar Alliance Rank 10
    AD Altmer V16 Sorceress Alliance Rank 21
    AD Kahjiit Warden
    AD Altmer Nightblade
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wear a 5 pc footman, 5 pc whitestrakes and 2pc bloodspawn on my NB tank.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there really tanking in this game the bosses have so much aoe ... but im new at the pve part of this game...
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    5x Hist Bark (for the extra dodge)
    5x Footman (for the extra damage mitigation)
    2x Ashen Grip (Weap+Shield, for HP boost)

works awesome in all Trials+DSA.
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Spark
    Spark
    ✭✭✭
    Durham wrote: »
    Is there really tanking in this game the bosses have so much aoe ... but im new at the pve part of this game...

There are situations where a tank is absolutely needed, and situations where it is very useful to have a tank. But flexibility is good, and if the tank can also do DPS, there are dungeon bosses where the tank can switch to full DPS or at least do support DPS. But you are also correct about the AoE: people need to avoid it, whether there is a tank in the group or not. The tank needs to avoid the AoE also, of course.