The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Are There Known Issues With Dungeon Scaling?

bellanca6561n
bellanca6561n
✭✭✭✭✭
Second night in a row I, and my group, had to abandon Undaunted Silver Pledges due to difficulty so high that two different groups of patient, adult players - after investing hours - made the reasonable (not angry) decision that we simply could not succeed.

These groups ranged from VR1 to VR14 in level composition. Both had the lowest level character as group leader. The loot was scaled in these dungeons (Fungal Grotto and Spindleclutch) but not in difficulty. All the proper roles were covered. And, in each case, the group took a break to research the specific battle/boss that stymied us.

Smart, regular players in each case.

My understanding of the intent of these Undaunted Daily pledge quests was to give players an opportunity to develop their characters and their abilities in group content, meet new people, and - with the Silver and Gold levels - have some control over the level of difficulty.

People took things in stride. One joked that he would follow our adventure by killing bunnies to restore his self esteem. All were professional people with either regular college or advanced degrees. They communicated in complete sentences, were attentive and cooperative, and never began or ended a sentence with the acronym, LOL. All had played the game to Veteran Rank, enjoy the game, knew their classes and how to play them. None were seeking an easy button.

Yet both groups failed.

If these are especially difficult dungeons that's fine. But why would they be offered as Silver Pledges?

Sorry to go on so. I feel badly, and not just for me. I grew to like these people, I feel they deserved a chance to succeed, I believe the developers mean for this system to serve people of this sort. Thus I must wonder if this has been oft reported and is a known issue being worked on at this time.
  • axiomaticb14a_ESO
    Vet spindle's third boss, Praxin with the ghost waves, is extremely overtuned at the moment. It takes perfect execution and lucky RNG mechanics to accomplish successfully. Also, tip top gear is needed to have the DPS and survivability needed. The difficulty is on par with the end stages of vet DSA and SO. I'd say don't worry too much if you can't complete it, but then it looks like you're not.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vet spindle's third boss, Praxin with the ghost waves, is extremely overtuned at the moment. It takes perfect execution and lucky RNG mechanics to accomplish successfully. Also, tip top gear is needed to have the DPS and survivability needed. The difficulty is on par with the end stages of vet DSA and SO. I'd say don't worry too much if you can't complete it, but then it looks like you're not.

Many thanks for the information. And this followed an earlier DPS race as well.

And, yes, complete is not a word I'd employ here :)

It feels to me simply a matter of some dungeons scaling well and others....less so.

Edited by bellanca6561n on November 17, 2014 3:53PM
  • Neyephe
    Neyephe
    What my husband and I noticed is that you have to have good dps to do the vet dungeons now. No one mediocre will do. They have to know what they are doing and work as a group or you wont make it. We did banished cells as VR1... the dps was VR1 and VR2 and tank and healer (my hubs and myself) were VR10 and we could not finish it. (Got stuck on the "bubble boss" every time). We tried with several different groups, like you with the lowest as lead, but failed every time. Took us several tries on Spindle yesterday but finally got a group with good dps who knew what they were doing with their classes and finished it. I agree that Praxin is hard. That is where every group got stuck except the last one. Took us 3 tries but finally got it down... rest of the dungeon was a breeze. We've had no problems with non-vet dungeons, just the vet ones.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you were with my group the other night, Ney :)

My point is that it's fine to have content that challenges the best players. But it works best if you have an alternate suited to pick up group of people learning group play. My mental model for this is the Limlight Gorge dailies in Lord of the Rings Online, through which I made all - ALL - my friends in that game and all originally from pick up groups.

It too was a game that people tended to solo until reaching high levels.

That may simply not be the intent here.

Oh, and I'm happy to hear that you and your husband succeeded in the end :)
    Edited by bellanca6561n on November 17, 2014 4:22PM